What Oil Is The Best For Wounds/fungus Etc As An Antiseptic?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have ointments and sprays but she keeps licking them off. I can keep it infection-free but with the licking it takes forever to heal you know. This time she even got a bald spot because of the licking.

So I decided to try oils as they might go unnoticed (unlike watery sprays or watery tea!) I’m going between virgin coconut oil or calendula oil but open to all suggestions. Minimal or no scent as I’m trying to be sneaky :running:

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Patches has a wound on her face just to the left of her chin. She scratched herself back in December when I was syringe feeding her milk thistle for her liver issues. I'm having a devil of a time healing it. I'd get it scabbing up and she'd scratch it. After months of this, I've finally just coned her around mid-June. I've made one from craft foam because even the smallest cone that I bought from Petsmart was just too long and she couldn't eat or drink water from a bowl. The vet gave her an antibiotic shot last week because it was looking infected and she just looked like she didn't feel well. This recent go around I've been cleaning it off after she eats with a small bowl of warm salt water with a dropper full of lugols iodine and then I put a drop of the lugols on the wound. I've just started her on a wound vite supplement I found on amazon along with the amnio acid HMB which is supposed to work with arginine and glutamine (contained in the wound vite) to promote healing. I started all that this weekend. I 'think' I see improvement but it is probably too soon to tell. I'm taking pictures of the wound every evening to keep track of any progress. You might have to cone her to give the wound a chance to heal. There are wound sprays on amazon that are antibacterial that you might want to try.

Nutri-vet Antimicrobial Wound Spray (ingredients: Benzalkonium chloride,Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Citric Acid, Sd Alcohol 40-B, Tocopheryl Acetate, Water.)
Vetericyn Plus (ingredients: Hypochlorous Acid (0.010%), Electrolyzed Water, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hypochlorite, Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Phosphates, Sodium Sulfate)

As for oils, have you tried Vitamin E? I would get the synthetic vitamin E that the drug stores sell in the little bottles in the skin and face cream/lotion aisles. A little dab from a q-tip will sooth the skin. You might even get a tube of lanolin while you are at it and an empty travel salve jar and mix some lanolin and the Vitamin E together. It makes a really good skin and lip salve. It feels very soothing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be very careful with oils and cats. Their livers can't process many things that we see as harmless including oils. It's one of the dangers with essential oils because you have to be cautious of not only what the essence is but also what the oil is. The wrong oil can clog the liver and cause all sorts of problems including death. I stick to only olive oil or fish oil if they are getting any sort of supplement since those two are the only ones I am sure they can handle. Even coconut oil is somewhat questionable since there isn't any historical data to check with.

I'd check with your vet for a topical product that is safe to use. I know Neosporin on a very thin layer is okay and I've used betadine as well. But if she's licking the wound you likely need a cone to stop the licking for proper healing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She scratched herself back in December when I was syringe feeding her milk thistle for her liver issues.
I give Silycumin pills for Hima’s liver, in her wet food.

I save the cone option for “if there’s infection” and post surgery only. She goes absolutely crazy even with a collar. Like a danger for herself kind of irrational running around etc

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stick to only olive oil or fish oil if they are getting any sort of supplement since those two are the only ones I am sure they can handle. Even coconut oil is somewhat questionable since there isn't any historical data to check with.
Does olive oil help as an antiseptic? I would guess yes with its acid. I just never really see its name for wounds.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I save the cone option for “if there’s infection” and post surgery only. She goes absolutely crazy even with a collar. Like a danger for herself kind of irrational running around etc
I've only had to cone her once before and that was for an abscess on her foot. She wouldn't leave the bandage alone unless she was coned. I made her one from a large sheet of craft foam but I was cleaning out the basement months before and tossed it. Shoulda hung on to it. The cone on her now is just long enough to keep her from scratching her face but short enough that she can see to get around and drink out of the water bowls. I put her in a crate at meal times and take the cone off. If I let her eat with the cone off in her usual place in the kitchen, she'd make me chase her down to put the cone back on. And for a little butterball with short legs, that cat can move!

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

She's getting Nature's Answer alcohol-free Milk Thistle extract.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does olive oil help as an antiseptic? I would guess yes with its acid. I just never really see its name for wounds.
I use CBD with olive oil as the binder in an oral use. I really would stay away from oils for wound care and stick with a medication from your vet.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use CBD with olive oil as the binder in an oral use. I really would stay away from oils for wound care and stick with a medication from your vet.
But CBD is even more controversial? Seemed to be advised against by most vets.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But CBD is even more controversial? Seemed to be advised against by most vets.
Most vets are still legally forbidden from talking about CBD. If you can find one who will, like my vet, or most holistic vets it's not frowned upon. It's essentially unproven in a scientific setting but enough good experiences exist to give it some credence. Marijuana in general is looked down upon for questionable reasons if you get into they why it was illegal aspect. It's controversial because it was illegal and still is in many places. But that's only if you use CBD derived from marijuana; help derived has always been legal. My vet said she isn't allowed to recommend or advise for it but she won't advise against it and thinks I should continue since I've seen positive results. But it is one of those things where you have to be careful and cautious. The wrong binder oil or an impure source can cause as much or more harm then help. Which is why I use one from a company started by a vet and sold through a dispensary with a cat safe oil. In my case, it was a decision of either give an experimental treatment or have my cats leg removed because his arthritis was impacting his movement too much and he's only 5. He doesn't handle pain medications well at all and the last time I tried it kicked off a two week ordeal with multi ER trips from the side effects. I'm not even advising for CBD in your situation (or really anyone's) I just mentioned it because that is what the olive oil has in it when you asked about olive oil topically. Which I only mentioned olive oil as one of the two oils I know off the top of my head are 100% safe.

Oils are known to build up to a toxic level in liver. Cats are missing enzymes needed to break them down. An oil absorbed through the skin can enter the blood stream and over time reach toxic levels in the liver. Since there are no studies into the safety of many oils and we don't know how much to reach the tipping point, I avoid additional oils as much as possible. If I am not 100% sure it is a safe oil, I don't expose my cats to it. I don't want to find out that daily exposure to a questionable oil resulted in their liver shutting down.

But those are my choices and my pros and cons. I wouldn't use an oil that may or may not help healing when a cone and know topical ointment would accomplish the same. I know your kitty doesn't like the cone but no oil or ointment or anything will work if she keeps kicking it off. Cats noses are more sensitive then ours so even if you can't smell it she still will. If she's been messing with it enough that it isn't healing I doubt it is the ointment causing the licking and is more likely her licking it because it hurts or itches or is uncomfortable which won't change until it heals.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets are still legally forbidden from talking about CBD. If you can find one who will, like my vet, or most holistic vets it's not frowned upon. It's essentially unproven in a scientific setting but enough good experiences exist to give it some credence. Marijuana in general is looked down upon for questionable reasons if you get into they why it was illegal aspect. It's controversial because it was illegal and still is in many places. But that's only if you use CBD derived from marijuana; help derived has always been legal. My vet said she isn't allowed to recommend or advise for it but she won't advise against it and thinks I should continue since I've seen positive results. But it is one of those things where you have to be careful and cautious. The wrong binder oil or an impure source can cause as much or more harm then help. Which is why I use one from a company started by a vet and sold through a dispensary with a cat safe oil. In my case, it was a decision of either give an experimental treatment or have my cats leg removed because his arthritis was impacting his movement too much and he's only 5. He doesn't handle pain medications well at all and the last time I tried it kicked off a two week ordeal with multi ER trips from the side effects. I'm not even advising for CBD in your situation (or really anyone's) I just mentioned it because that is what the olive oil has in it when you asked about olive oil topically. Which I only mentioned olive oil as one of the two oils I know off the top of my head are 100% safe.

Oils are known to build up to a toxic level in liver. Cats are missing enzymes needed to break them down. An oil absorbed through the skin can enter the blood stream and over time reach toxic levels in the liver. Since there are no studies into the safety of many oils and we don't know how much to reach the tipping point, I avoid additional oils as much as possible. If I am not 100% sure it is a safe oil, I don't expose my cats to it. I don't want to find out that daily exposure to a questionable oil resulted in their liver shutting down.

But those are my choices and my pros and cons. I wouldn't use an oil that may or may not help healing when a cone and know topical ointment would accomplish the same. I know your kitty doesn't like the cone but no oil or ointment or anything will work if she keeps kicking it off. Cats noses are more sensitive then ours so even if you can't smell it she still will. If she's been messing with it enough that it isn't healing I doubt it is the ointment causing the licking and is more likely her licking it because it hurts or itches or is uncomfortable which won't change until it heals.
The vets on Reddit, who are anonymous of course, all advise against CBD.

I was just confused because you’re right there isn’t longterm data about oils but there is also none about CBD. And between marijuana and coconut, it’s marijuana that has effects even in the brain and not just digestive system.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... Since there are no studies into the safety of many oils and we don't know how much to reach the tipping point, I avoid additional oils as much as possible. If I am not 100% sure it is a safe oil, I don't expose my cats to it. I don't want to find out that daily exposure to a questionable oil resulted in their liver shutting down. ...
... I just mentioned it because that is what the olive oil has in it when you asked about olive oil topically. Which I only mentioned olive oil as one of the two oils I know off the top of my head are 100% safe. ...
Actually, I do think using olive oil orally on a long-term, repeated basis can affect cats negatively. Their livers really cannot handle that much of an olive oil load. Especially if they are also trying to process other meds or supplements or if they have health issues in general.

I tend to agree with this post here,
Is It Safe to Give Olive Oil to Cats?
as it also references another web site I really like as source material (felineconstipation.org).
That member in the link above also posted this post a few comments later.

I feel like small amounts of coconut oil, if ingested, are better processed in a cat's system than olive oil, but that's just me. I don't use any oils on a cat's wounds or for any fungus issues (veterinarians deal better with addressing those issues, in my view). But if a cat --my cat-- has a patch of dry skin, the only oil I would use topically would be a touch of coconut oil, maybe combined with almond oil, as both of those in small amounts aren't very toxic plus they don't have a horrendously distinctive smell.

But any cat can dislike stuff put on their skin or hair and end up just licking themselves to death in a big grooming session! Almost makes them compulsively groom even more hair away from the affected area. Sometimes oils just complicate things, and you might need a vet's input -- especially with fungi or bacteria issues.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, I do think using olive oil orally on a long-term, repeated basis can affect cats negatively. Their livers really cannot handle that much of an olive oil load. Especially if they are also trying to process other meds or supplements or if they have health issues in general.
He gets 0.3ml daily. It is something I've discussed with my vet and she is comfortable with it. Olive oil is considered safe usually but there are people who says it's not. Just like coconut oil is considered safe bys and not by others. I would rather no oil and recommend no oil unless necessary. In my case it's a choice of the best option out of a field of bad.

I do agree with you on the no oil for wound care.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think the problem becomes how much do the humans give the cat (that is, what a human considers a "small amount" orally might actually be too much, if you don't have your vet giving you their advice on the right amount of olive oil). A little goes a long way.
:hugs:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The very first ointment for wounds my cat's vet prescribed for her was Bayer's Madecassol 1%. The one for humans (there is no other anyway.)

And it has two different essential oils in the ingredients.

This is the ingredients list: Hydrocotyle* (reconstituted dry extract, containing 40% asiaticoside and 60% madecassic and asiatic acids): 1 g
*specifically Centella asiatica

Excipients:
Ethylene glycol palmitostearate (mono- and di-esters), propylene glycol, liquid paraffin, lavender essential oil, geranium essential oil, purified water

Another thing I have for wounds is beaphar's Antiseptic Ointment. A vet didn't prescribe this, I got it myself. And it has both Aloe Vera and Calendula Oil as active ingredients.

The reason I decided to try an oil on wounds in the first place is I thought (a little amount of) it could be more gentle on the digestive system if licked than an oil in the ingredients AND more. And that maybe less smell and a lighter texture could prevent licking.

All these ointments seem to contain at least one oil. My logic was using only calendula oil as antiseptic, maybe mixed with water, instead of calendua oil AND aloe vera AND paraffin...