What method do you guys use to teach kitty "no-go zones"?

anankee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten 4 1/2 months and am trying to tech him not to jump on our coffee table (we usually eat there and have things on the table we rather he didn't get into )

He knows he is not supposed to as his trips are usually quick - he is definitely testing boundaries

So I've heard about the double sided tape method and the air puffer method, but I'm wondering what methods you guys are using and how successful they have been?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats will not go anywhere near aluminum foil. You could try putting this on your coffee table.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats will not go anywhere near aluminum foil. You could try putting this on your coffee table.
I do agree with this. Mine go scrambling as soon as I pull the roll out of the drawer it's in.

I don't have kitten experience, but with older cats I just quietly and calmly remove them. I don't react much at all.  Cats learn by repetition so eventually they made the connection about what was and wasn't allowed. If I do react, it's no more than saying "HEY!" loudly and once they hear that they leave.

That doesn't mean they are perfect. Our older one is too slow to get into trouble any longer but the younger one, half his age, has been known to be seen on the kitchen counter - rarely - but still.  

Methods such as shaking a can of coins, spraying water, etc really do NOT work at all and only wind up making the cat afraid of you or it becomes negative reinforcement.  The tin foil is good because it's up there already and they don't associate it with you specifically.  

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do like occasional use of a water spray especially if a kitten is very rambunctious. What I've found is that almost immediately just the sight of the water bottle does the trick.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have found tin foil is an attraction for my guys. They just rip it and play with it.

I find my voice is the best thing to use. I just go "HEY! ATTTT GET DOWN! NOW! YOU'RE BAD! BAD BOY/GIRL!"

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alas, there are no Cat Free Zones in my house.  Atticus and Thirteen pretty much have free rein in my abode.

shiaena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom and I have kind of given up on most of the tips and tricks. We've tried vinegar, citronella, rosemary, tape, foil, air puffer, water spray, but Espa would just keep going up on the countertops. What we found is good is using a very stern, serious tone, and looking directly at her. Usually we go "Espa. No. Get down. Now. Down, get your butt down." And she will give a couple pouty meows before hopping down.

Pretty sure the methods differ from cat to cat though, I think I just have one that likes to work around stuff unless shes actually caught in the act.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Alas, there are no Cat Free Zones in my house.  Atticus and Thirteen pretty much have free rein in my abode.
not in my house, either; in fact, in none of my residences ever since i met my first cat.  we just put fragile stuff in shelves with glass doors.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My previous cat was quite a talker and I learned to mimic all her unique noises. My kitten is a 6 month old terror but I've recently discovered if I give him a low growl and a hiss, he knows he better back off, especially when I'm eating and he tries to steal. Not sure if it works for keeping a kitty off counters yet as I'm still trying to break that behavior!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water bottles and a stern voice will only train your cat not to go there when you are around doing that specific thing. When you are are gone it is fair game. I think the air puffer makes more sense for the coffee table (or sticky tape.) The read question is how much do you really care about trying to create a no zone? If you are cooking I get not wanting a cat near the stove top/food prep. However it is usually easier to just give them a spot to be on the counter that is theirs... or a perch to see from. Also if you let your kitty be on the table and ignore him, you may find your cat was going there to get attention from you. He may be thinking coffee table = chase me.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my guys will pull the tinfoil onto the floor then go wherever he wants to.  

I found that the air puffers work and work quickly and I also put double-side tape on cardboard and lightly tape the boards to the furniture to deter them.  The tape is less effective - they have all day to figure out exactly where to step where there is no tape.

It is, in the end, a losing battle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anankee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that my brothers cat was not allowed on his counter tops . My brother taught him with a clap of the hands and a quick hiss and he knew he wasn't allowed and didn't even try.

After my brother passed my mum adopted his kitty. Kitty pretty much has free reign of the house except one place - mums bed, because dad won't allow it.

Mum tried the same technique to teach him and only ever had to do it twice. Now he patiently waits on the chair next to her bed and the second she opens her eyes he starts meowing for breakfast

I have tried similar with my Marley but it doesn't work. He just looks at me like I'm nuts lol

I'm pretty sure he will just play with the foil and rip it up but maybe it's worth a go

I think I may resign myself to moving the things I don't want him getting at. Every cup or glass on the table he tried to stick his little head in and that's my worry! I don't think coffee or wine are good for kitties and it's hard to be on the ball all the time!!

[emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting out of bed and I could hear the cat scratching in the litter box.
Then again as I was getting dressed.
  Thought that odd since he doesn't dig or paw litter.
When I got to the kitchen, he was on the counter playing with a sheet of aluminum foil that he had drug off of an apple pie.   (sounded like litter box scratching).
Didn't care about the pie, he just thought the foil was the greatest new thing though.

Double sided clear tape worked on the sofa.  But, he never experienced the sticky.  He would just look at it and stay off of it. 
Removed the tape two weeks later.  He was on the couch an hour later.

He thought a 3ft section of wire protection "Critter Cord" was a new rope toy, and chewed it to shreds.

I gave up..........He can now sit in my dinner plate if he wants I guess....

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Getting out of bed and I could hear the cat scratching in the litter box.
Then again as I was getting dressed.
  Thought that odd since he doesn't dig or paw litter.
When I got to the kitchen, he was on the counter playing with a sheet of aluminum foil that he had drug off of an apple pie.   (sounded like litter box scratching).
Didn't care about the pie, he just thought the foil was the greatest new thing though.

Double sided clear tape worked on the sofa.  But, he never experienced the sticky.  He would just look at it and stay off of it. 
Removed the tape two weeks later.  He was on the couch an hour later.

He thought a 3ft section of wire protection "Critter Cord" was a new rope toy, and chewed it to shreds.

I gave up..........He can now sit in my dinner plate if he wants I guess....
You LOVE that silly Bobcat.