What method do you guys use to teach kitty "no-go zones"?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our dog was a tattletale - he knew the kitty was not supposed to be on the kitchen counter tops so he would bark his head off until I came in.  Of course, the cat would grin and ignore him. 

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I want a photo of that grinning cat. :)
My cat does not respond to No! or Down! when delivered from the couch, but if I get up and walk towards him on the counter, more than half the time he gets down on his own. The rest of the time I lift him off or nudge his butt til he jumps off. It's probably a combination of him wanting attention and being stubborn. I've all but given up trying to keep him off the table when we're not eating on it. The morning after I removed the cooling racks and sticky tape from the table, I awoke to him s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out on one side of the table, taking up as much space as possible. Stinker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anankee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The morning after I removed the cooling racks and sticky tape from the table, I awoke to him s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out on one side of the table, taking up as much space as possible. Stinker.

Kitty - 1, Human - 0

Last edited:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Ssssct works till it runs out of air, at which point my cat will grin, and tease the impotent ssscat. :>  (seriously once she hears ti click but not spray, she walks past it  bunch of times smiling each ineffectual clicking sound!)

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I'm fairly certain Luciano underwent trauma as a kitten; he certainly wasn't socialized with sibs/by his mother. Someone told me because of this I should not use Sssct or squirting water at him. Do you agree with this?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds odd I have used a regular can of compressed air for training Kabby who was seized by the SPCA think he may have come from a mill or something he does show signs of being improperly weaned. (I've heard they literally just yank the kittens off the teats)

Haven't seen any adverse effects of using compressed air.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I think I just came across another method to keep Luciano off my kitchen counter. I defrosted my freezer tonight after more than 15 years. The giant piece of ice that came off the top/back of the freezer in one chunk is now in my sink & extends out a bit. Luciano seems fearful of the giant ice and is staying away. Not very practical as a long-term solution, but I'm enjoying it tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anankee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I just came across another method to keep Luciano off my kitchen counter. I defrosted my freezer tonight after more than 15 years. The giant piece of ice that came off the top/back of the freezer in one chunk is now in my sink & extends out a bit. Luciano seems fearful of the giant ice and is staying away. Not very practical as a long-term solution, but I'm enjoying it tonight.

I'm picturing stopping off to buy giant bags of ice on the way home from work each day :lol3:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

a.  do you really want your kitty to be fearful?

b.  it probably won't last - HK loves licking ice.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Obviously it did not stay that way - was mostly melted by morning, but it was nice not to have to get up every 5-10 minutes to get him off the counter. His latest naughtiness up there is to unspool the paper towels like he used to do with the toilet paper before I got a protective covering for it.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hmmm. Well in my house of 2 cats-only 1 gets up high. The older gal prefers the floor. She's not jumping anymore in her old age.

Honeybee doesn't like it when I stomp my foot at her or clap my hands. I have used water to squirt her but that was WAYYY in the beginning when she used to terrorize my other cats.

They are allowed on the counters/tables. But normally they don't go up there except in a rare time. The kitchen window is the only place that gets cat hair on it. Honeybee likes to sit in the window and meow at me that it's play time outside. And then if I ignore her she jumps down and runs to the backdoor and starts digging at the carpet mat we have there. it makes a slapping noise because she picks it up as she claws it and it slaps down. Then if that doesn't work I hear her yelling at me. Then if I ignore her she runs over and jumps up on us to bug us letting us know kitty wants out NOW!

I never tried tin foil. She probably chew and eat it. She's the garbage disposal. Anything on the floor is fair game. Especially tape. Packing tape she loves to chew. If there's a box on the ground then she will bite the tape until she eats it. So we can't use double sided tape. Strange girl she is.

In the past I used water to train them to stay in the garden. We used to tap with the house if they got out of the yard. They quickly learned that they had to stay in the yard or face the dreaded hose. My Angel Floey we used to use a cup of water if the hose wasn't available. She knew that she was not allowed past the garden. She would look up and have guilt written all over her face. And scoot her butt home. We live in a very safe area and I would walk into the other yard to corral her back in the yard. And I have seen her poking looks at me as she subtle stepped farther away. So she KNEW she was not supposed to do it but did it anyways!! That's the only time I used water. It only takes 2 or 3 times till they understood..I stomp my feet first. If that doesn't work then the water but it's been years since I have had to do this.

They rule. We don't. They go wherever they want...

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Some funny stories here!  

I have been blessed enough that it really hasn't been an issue here. Angel never really tried to jump up on counters, or tables. I think in the 6 & 1/2 years he was with me there was maybe one time he jumped up in the middle of the night to get to a baggie of food, a sample of something from the vet at the time. I thought it was safe since he didn't go up there.....NOPE!  bag torn open...food gone!  I forget what it was for.  May have been one to help bulk, when he had gotten a parasite. 

Sammie has also been great so far in the almost 7 months (she started hanging out on labor day wknd) she's been here. No counter tops, no tables.  In fact, I remember the first time she came up on the bed with me. One night she stood in the doorway as if asking permission, so I patted the bed & said, "come on, you can come up." 

I can say that so far, my neighborhood kitties are pretty good ones.
  I sometimes wonder if they came from the same place/ home.   

To answer the question, I haven't had to do it much, but when I have usually just a very firm" NO" with even a big snap of the fingers, or clap at the same time has worked. Even if I had to repeat it a couple of times, that's all it took. Usually the tone is enough. 

I'd say using a firm tone with a "NO" & redirecting them, or removing them,which ever the situation, is enough for them to get the message. You just have to be consistent, & keep doing it, & then they will learn. 

Last edited:

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do I keep Reuben off the counter? I pick him up off the counter and put him in a room without any countertops

He's the worst when it comes to counter surfing when I trying to cook. Sometimes it gets to the point where he jumps right back up once I take him off. We have too much counterspace for using tin foil and it doesn't seem to bother him much anyway. He also goes deaf and pretends to not hear me so once I get frustrated enough, he gets a "time out" in a different room

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I have a tiny apartment kitchen (I can clean the floor with a sponge on my hands and knees without moving my knees) and very limited counterspace. I'm seriously considering getting one of those accordion doors to install and keep the kitchen area off limits unless I'm in there. There's not room for him on the counter if I'm in there, and his latest obsession is unspooling the paper towels.

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guy gets into everything. I always have to put food away, right away. Last night he got into some chicken I marinated in lemon juice and red wine vinegar. I had broiled it so it was fully cooked. He started licking a piece. So of course I was not going to throw it out. I washed it in the sink to get rid of any herbs or whatever I put on it and gave it to him. He was one happy camper.