What Meal........

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rick's mom has a recipe for creamed Spam on toast. You know, it's really not all that bad, if you're in the middle of a desert, haven't eaten in a month of Sundays, and are absolutely starving to death. Spam, onions, peppers, hard-boiled eggs, etc. with a white sauce and served over toast. This is Rick's comfort food. He doesn't ask for it that often, but sometimes he really wants it and I'll make it for him.

I usually buy when it's on sale and I have a coupon. And then I keep it on hand for when Rick starts talking about it. I've done Spam with eggs and potatoes in the skillet.

Sometimes I think it gets a bad rap. It's almost like you HAVE to hate the stuff. It's not the best stuff in the world, but it's certainly not the worst either. Maybe next to the worst, but not the worst.
People eat much worse. I think the worst thing about it is the sodium. Here's the ingredients list for the classic Spam

pork, ham, salt, water, potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite.

Compared to a lot of other processed foods it's pretty tame. I don't like it straight from the can but sliced thin and pan fried until crispy? It's a lot like bacon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing. We didn't have to eat anything we didn't like.

I went through phases---at one point I thought mayonnaise was gross, and practically ate mustard by the spoonful. Then I decided mustard was gross and developed a taste for mayo, lol. Now I like both. And I had weird tastes. I liked liver and onions! And beef tongue. And octopus on a stick. Now I don't care for any of those things, although I'd give it a taste to see if the cook prepared them in a particularly tasty way.

I can't think of much that I absolutely wouldn't eat now. Weird animal parts like eyeballs or testicles, sure. But I'll give almost anything a fair chance.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Rick's mom has a recipe for creamed Spam on toast. You know, it's really not all that bad, if you're in the middle of a desert, haven't eaten in a month of Sundays, and are absolutely starving to death. Spam, onions, peppers, hard-boiled eggs, etc. with a white sauce and served over toast. This is Rick's comfort food. He doesn't ask for it that often, but sometimes he really wants it and I'll make it for him.

I usually buy when it's on sale and I have a coupon. And then I keep it on hand for when Rick starts talking about it. I've done Spam with eggs and potatoes in the skillet.

Sometimes I think it gets a bad rap. It's almost like you HAVE to hate the stuff. It's not the best stuff in the world, but it's certainly not the worst either. Maybe next to the worst, but not the worst.
Do you eat it when you make it for Rick?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in 2008, we had back to back major hurricanes here. We stayed at my FIL's house with them. While the power was out, we made most of our food on a gas grill that we have that also has a griddle. One morning I made up scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and SPAM for everyone. My FIL was horrified. Then he ate some. I had sliced it thin and cooked it until it was nice and crisp. The way God intended. He loved it and still talks about it to this day. Even my super picky MIL loved it.

I also used to make a quiche with Spam,onions and Swiss cheese that DH absolutely loved. DD loved it too and is not a big egg fan. It is really good though.

Spam fans unite! :yess:
Do you have the recipe for the Spam quiche?