What Meal........

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mom used to make a tuna noodle casserole that was pretty bad. And my mom’s aunt made the worst meatloaf you ever tasted.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another vote for liver. And we didn't even have it with onions. Though can't imagine that would have made it any more palatable.

Another meal I disliked was sausages. I remember them being so greasy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baked acorn squash with brown sugar. Nothing wrong with my mom's cooking, she's very good, I just don't like squash. And especially with added sweetness. The texture makes me gag. I still don't eat squash or pumpkin and don't like sweet potatoes. They all have that weird gloppy texture with a sweet undertone, I'm getting grossed out just thinking about it.
What's weird is that I do like butternut squash soup. But as a soup it no longer has the same texture.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be the odd one. I absolutely LOVE grilled calf liver with bacon, liver pate and turkey liver and heart.

Now to the question:
My mom used to serve a salad with every meal. I love salads, but this one had big chunks of raw radish, turnip, carrots, celery and onions. I hate all of those.
Now that I don't have to eat her crap, my salads have avocado, mushrooms and alfalfa sprouts (with a spring mix of course).

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, every once in a while my mother would cook liver, without onions. I hated it, but they would make me sit at the table until I had eaten what they put on my plate. I still, to this day, won't touch the stuff with an eleven foot pole.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't come up with anything off the top of my head. Maybe just like Hamburger Helper type stuff. When mom was single money was tight and we ate that kind of thing pretty regularly.

My mother had a rule; we had to give new foods a real try, but if we still didn't like it we didn't have to eat it. Fortunately I like just about everything and she's a good cook. :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I can't think of anything that was so bad, I couldn't eat it. Oh sure, there are foods that I don't like (ratatouille, for example, no way am I ever eating eggplant), but Mom wouldn't have made that anyway. I wasn't overly fond of stewed tomatoes or endive, but I ate them and still do today (or would eat endive if Mom was still around to make it). I never really cared for Mom's spaghetti, but ate it.

I never had cheesecake until I went to Rick's family for dinner for the first time. Rick's mom made New York style cheesecake. I took one bite, barely got it swallowed and Rick finished it. His mom was upset that I couldn't eat it, and I apologized, but I couldn't get it down. And still can't. Years later, she made ratatouille for dinner. I tried it, literally gagged like hell, and spit it into a napkin. By then she was used to me and she laughed. I didn't think it was funny; ratatouille is simply awful stuff. (And so's cheesecake. Figures I'd marry into a family who uses cheesecake for anything that goes wrong....kinda like The Golden Girls)

I dearly love liver and onions. So does my sister. For years, Mom made it for us for our birthday dinners. :paperbag: I still make it for my sister and me.

ETA: But only calves liver.

Rick would never eat salad. Not the veggie kind of salad. Nor would he eat Brussels sprouts. Or blueberries. It got to be a big thing between us that he wouldn't eat blueberries. Now? He'll eat all of those things. But he'll only eat Brussels sprouts if I make them and blueberries must be baked into a blueberry buckle.

He won't eat coconut. He refuses to eat coconut. Never, ever, EVER! Except I make these citrus cookies with coconut. And he eats them. Go figure. First time he ate one, it stopped the presses. The world stood still. People shouted it from the rooftops. It made every newspaper in the United States. Even Santa Claus was stunned beyond belief. And the Easter Bunny fell over backward.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate liver. I also hated my mom's scalloped potatoes. I like the cheesy ones that some people make, but hers were pasty and weird.
My Grandma made me a spam sandwich once that was gross. It might have tasted better fried or grilled?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand the taste of kidney.
I concur.

fried spam.....YUK!!!!
:cloudy:Shock, horror. I do NOT concur. Because it's you though, you're forgiven. When I'm in charge of the World, it will be the law to have a fried Spam sandwich at least once a week. I MAY, just MAY give you a special dispensation on this very sensible, fair and just law.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I concur.

:cloudy:Shock, horror. I do NOT concur. Because it's you though, you're forgiven. When I'm in charge of the World, it will be the law to have a fried Spam sandwich at least once a week. I MAY, just MAY give you a special dispensation on this very sensible, fair and just law.
maybe it's because the first time I had it was when I was about 7 years old and had chicken pox at the time. I still cannot stomach that stuff even after all these years.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe it's because the first time I had it was when I was about 7 years old and had chicken pox at the time.
That reminds me of when I ate a full bag of Victory V's when I was, coincidentally, about 7yrs old. I was as sick as a dog because in those days they contained ether and chloroform. I have never touched one since.
It must be some sort of survival instinct with food as once bitten, twice shy. It's a very powerful thing.
So, definitely a dispensation for you when my law in enacted.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I can't think of anything that was so bad, I couldn't eat it. Oh sure, there are foods that I don't like (ratatouille, for example, no way am I ever eating eggplant), but Mom wouldn't have made that anyway. I wasn't overly fond of stewed tomatoes or endive, but I ate them and still do today (or would eat endive if Mom was still around to make it). I never really cared for Mom's spaghetti, but ate it.

I never had cheesecake until I went to Rick's family for dinner for the first time. Rick's mom made New York style cheesecake. I took one bite, barely got it swallowed and Rick finished it. His mom was upset that I couldn't eat it, and I apologized, but I couldn't get it down. And still can't. Years later, she made ratatouille for dinner. I tried it, literally gagged like hell, and spit it into a napkin. By then she was used to me and she laughed. I didn't think it was funny; ratatouille is simply awful stuff. (And so's cheesecake. Figures I'd marry into a family who uses cheesecake for anything that goes wrong....kinda like The Golden Girls)

I dearly love liver and onions. So does my sister. For years, Mom made it for us for our birthday dinners. :paperbag: I still make it for my sister and me.

ETA: But only calves liver.

Rick would never eat salad. Not the veggie kind of salad. Nor would he eat Brussels sprouts. Or blueberries. It got to be a big thing between us that he wouldn't eat blueberries. Now? He'll eat all of those things. But he'll only eat Brussels sprouts if I make them and blueberries must be baked into a blueberry buckle.

He won't eat coconut. He refuses to eat coconut. Never, ever, EVER! Except I make these citrus cookies with coconut. And he eats them. Go figure. First time he ate one, it stopped the presses. The world stood still. People shouted it from the rooftops. It made every newspaper in the United States. Even Santa Claus was stunned beyond belief. And the Easter Bunny fell over backward.
I am fully with you on cheesecake. I cannot understand people's obsession with it. Did you know that Bea Arthur didn't like it either?

I'm not the biggest blueberry fan either but blueberry pancakes are :yummy:. The ones on the stick that are shaped like corn dogs and have sausage in the middle are amazing. They come in a box in the freezer section of the grocery store from my dear friend Jimmy Dean. YUM.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I concur.

Back in 2008, we had back to back major hurricanes here. We stayed at my FIL's house with them. While the power was out, we made most of our food on a gas grill that we have that also has a griddle. One morning I made up scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and SPAM for everyone. My FIL was horrified. Then he ate some. I had sliced it thin and cooked it until it was nice and crisp. The way God intended. He loved it and still talks about it to this day. Even my super picky MIL loved it.

I also used to make a quiche with Spam,onions and Swiss cheese that DH absolutely loved. DD loved it too and is not a big egg fan. It is really good though.

Spam fans unite! :yess:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
They have so many varieties these days. Even a turkey one. A Youtuber I watch roasted it in the oven whole and loved it. It's quite versatile stuff and since it's shelf stable it is good to have in case of an emergency
Now I'm craving it!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick's mom has a recipe for creamed Spam on toast. You know, it's really not all that bad, if you're in the middle of a desert, haven't eaten in a month of Sundays, and are absolutely starving to death. Spam, onions, peppers, hard-boiled eggs, etc. with a white sauce and served over toast. This is Rick's comfort food. He doesn't ask for it that often, but sometimes he really wants it and I'll make it for him.

I usually buy when it's on sale and I have a coupon. And then I keep it on hand for when Rick starts talking about it. I've done Spam with eggs and potatoes in the skillet.

Sometimes I think it gets a bad rap. It's almost like you HAVE to hate the stuff. It's not the best stuff in the world, but it's certainly not the worst either. Maybe next to the worst, but not the worst.