What litter do you use?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use pine pellets(6 on sale for 40lbs) for horses during the cooler months but find I have bug issues with it when it warms up.  I use fresh step non scoop(9-10 on sale/coupons plus they have paw points to redeem for items/coupons) during the warm months.  Sometimes I will use tidy cats non scoop when its cheap enough but find it tend to get gunky and fresh step doesn't, though for baby kittens I use that as it feels safer and has been my go to for babys for many many years.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used the Feline Pine original pellets for a long time now. (only wanted something all natural, sense they lick their paws).

I love it. No crumbs or dust, just a few pellets (maybe 4-6) to sweep or hand vac. up!! I don't even use a mat by the box, don't need one.

If you want clumping, they do have a clumping one as well. I like the pellets though, because it's far less mess!

Last edited:

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have used pine pellets from the tractor supply store before (I'm in the US), but I never thought to scoop out the unused pellets, dump the dust and refill. Brilliant! Those of you who do that, do you flush poop with pellets stuck, or do you dispose of them some other way?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't flush anything, solids are scooped and disposed of into the rubbish bin. The sawdust goes into the garden.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the pic and info missymotus.. very helpful.

Where do you buy yours?  I can see PetBarn stocks it... bit of a drive for me, but I can stock up.

The Bunnings idea looks good.. I have 2 boxes for each of my 2 cats, so it would add up.  Also, two of those are enclosed.

And, williecat, I never flush any kind of cat litter down the loo..  Not a good idea for the system.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to be allergic to natural litters (SWheat Scoop, World's Best, chicken feed, etc). I did try pine pellets once and didn't like the sawdust, but after seeing the "system" I think I could rig something with a couple of Sterilite totes. I can't remember if it made me wheezy, though. Does anyone find that the pine triggers their asthma or allergies?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few of those boxes that have the slots in them that match up.   also had seen them in the covered version.  I dont sift as the litter turns to sawdust fast enough(I don't add much litter just enough to dumpe every few days.

Tractor supply is great-husband and I can browse for a bit happily

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No allergies to the pine/pine scent here.  Arm and hammer triggered asthma attacks pretty bad.  Also in a cat to.

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am using World's Best Cat litter and it truly has been the best in my house. I tried Tidy Cats all kinds, Swheat Scoop, and one litter with the crystals. None of those masked the odor or were as easy to scoop as this World's Best.

cynnamon3633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, We have three cats one is 4 years and two are 10 years old so you can imagine the problems we had with cat litter. Well I tried every one on the market to try to find one that covered odor and that clumped well.

I found that Scoop Away Multi -Cat was the one. It works great!!!  no smelly odor every time I scoop all you smell is a great clean fresh smell and I didn't have to dump all the litter and clean out the box every other day anymore I'm able to dump litter and clean box once a week. Now there not a smelly litter box that needs extra attention every other day anymore.

Try it I know you will love it too.

Cynnamon. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Where do you buy yours?  I can see PetBarn stocks it... bit of a drive for me, but I can stock up.

The Bunnings idea looks good.. I have 2 boxes for each of my 2 cats, so it would add up.  Also, two of those are enclosed.

And, williecat, I never flush any kind of cat litter down the loo..  Not a good idea for the system.
The litter? I get it delivered by a local distributor since i order in bulk, I get trays from them too at breeders pricing so the Bunnings ones aren't worth it for me to buy, one of my kitten owners gave it to me. Oz Pet also make hoods that clip onto their trays, I've got a couple but the cats choose the uncovered boxes so I took them off again.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The litter? I get it delivered by a local distributor since i order in bulk, I get trays from them too at breeders pricing so the Bunnings ones aren't worth it for me to buy, one of my kitten owners gave it to me. Oz Pet also make hoods that clip onto their trays, I've got a couple but the cats choose the uncovered boxes so I took them off again.
I'm going to try this out.  I've used crystals for ages, but am really unhappy with them as I think they're not really good for cats or humans, and they're probably environmentally iffy.  But I have a small house and need to be odour-free for various reasons.  This sounds like it may be the answer.

I can source the litter at a PetBarn, and there's a Bunnings down the road.  I'll see if I can fit an existing hood over the new arrangement.

Thanks for the advice!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could get litter delivered at times.  Well more I wish I had a shed and could just throw it in there with a dispenser to allow it to go into the litter box.

I had a worker in house who knew I had "alot of cats"  and boy was he in shock at my litter stack.  lol

cinderflower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get breeders rates so don't pay anywhere near that price 

i hate you.  (lol i'm just kidding.)  i've just decided to make my own, sort of like your set-up, slightly different but i haven't gotten it done yet.

Quote:
I have used pine pellets from the tractor supply store before (I'm in the US), but I never thought to scoop out the unused pellets, dump the dust and refill. Brilliant! Those of you who do that, do you flush poop with pellets stuck, or do you dispose of them some other way?
yeah some people have easier access to something called "equine pine" from feed or farming supply stores, not all states are wood stove oriented and you can only buy it seasonally.  all you have to do is look to see if it has accelerant added, otherwise, it's all the same thing.

um, depending on your plumbing system, wood pellets are biodegradable and should not cause a problem  however, if someone has a septic tank (or maybe just in other countries, i really don't know) that might not be a good idea.  people are also concerned about flushing feces that contain toxoplasmosis gondii, because sewage treatment doesn't kill that, it goes out to the ocean and works its way up the food chain.  it's now killing sea otters, but 1) not all cats have it; 2) there are cats trained to poo in the toilet so i don't know how that's going to work.  i say use your own discretion on that one.  you're an adult.  we all have to make decisions every day about how ecologically sound a practice is.

and here's an example of someone concerned about the plumbing so all i can say is check it out.  it isn't like clumping litter (i clogged up my toilet with that once) but apparently some people are able to flush that as well.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Equine pine/other brands are sold at Tractor Supply in NJ for sure.  They told me it buys based on the best deal.  No real difference except one brands bag breaks a bit easier(half price for the broken bags that are more then half full so cant complain all that much.  I do bring a contractor bag for trips in case bags look iffy.