What kind of cat do I have?

cwalkup329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my friends found this cat outside if a car wash and I took her in. I'm not sure what kind of cat she may be, and I'm mainly curious because I think she's pregnant by my male cat. I really want to know what the kittens could possible look like, I plan on keeping one of them and already have homes planned out for any others. Anyway, any input would be appreciated. The first pic is before I rescued her and she is a little dirty, but the only pic I have of her where you can see how blue her eyes are. The last pic is her and my  male tabby cat together.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is a point, a dark point and white.  I think it will be described as seal point and white, or mitted seal point.  Her fur will probably get darker with age.

What she is, we cant know without papers or known background, she may even be from non pointed parents, IF they both were carriers of the point gene.

What you can compare her with, three different breeds are possible to ponder: the snowshoe, as mentioned by Horatio above.  Snowshoe are based on the siamese, and snowhsoe are shorthaired as I know...    So no showshoe, even if you can compare the pattern to one.

Ragdoll, where this mitted variation does happen.  and is longhair

Birman, who do have naturally white feet. and is longhair.

So look alike a pet quality ragdoll or birman.....   I myself dont dare to put my money on which one, Im not that conneiseur.

Ok, what the kittens will be.

That other significant is no point.  Unless he is a carrier of the point gene, the kittens will NOT be pointed.   IF he is a carrier, half of them will be pointed.

He is a red tabby.  Tabby is a strong gene, top of the ladder even.

So at least half of the kittens will be tabbies.  All, if he is a double carrier of tabby gene, half, if  he is a single carrier of point gene, and the other parallell gene is something else.

So, dont knowing the exact parentage from ancestors,  the most probable is, none will be pointed, and at least half will be tabbies.   But Im sure they will be sweet anyways!

Please come with new questonons and reports, you are also welcome to start new threads according to the question.

I will send here our usual links for the waiting females.

ps.  And please consider strongly to spay / neuter them, him as soon you can manage it, her when the kittens are weaned, at about 8 weeks, and the kittens before they leave to their new homes (you can surely ask their adopters for some repayment for the cost of spaying/neutering of them kittens)

Good luck!

Most of these links have been readied by our forumist  Red Top Rescue:

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

And also:

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

Fleece or flannel good to use in the bedding for kittens.

Last edited:

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am with Stephan on the neutering. I can't even imagine having a cat that wasn't spayed/neutered. We have a stray female who isn't spayed on our street. I can see why some people dislike cats if that is their only experience with cats. We are building her a shelter and are going to try and TNR her soon. We weren't sure she was a stray, but she is outside wy too much in this cold to have a home somewhere.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous cats you have! The girl is definitely a Seal Point with White. And I honestly do not know what kind of breed she could have in her, but as you asked what her kittens could look like, I came here to help you a little with that :)

My prediction (all of the colors mentioned below can have 'with White' (like the white socks) but don't have to.)

Boys ♂

Black Tabby

Blue Tabby (diluted, only possible of both parents wear the dilute gene and pass it on - very small chance)

Black non-tabby (Only possible if the father wears the gene for non-tabby and passes it on - small chance)

Blue non-tabby (Only possible if the father wears the gene for non-tabby and passes it on, and both wear the dilute gene and pass it on - very very small chance)

Girls ♀

Black Tortie Tabby

Blue Tortie Tabby (diluted, only possible of both parents wear the dilute gene and pass it on - very small chance)

Black Tortie non-tabby (Only possible if the father wears the gene for non-tabby and passes it on - small chance)

Blue Tortie non-tabby (Only possible if the father wears the gene for non-tabby and passes it on, and both wear the dilute gene and pass it on - very very small chance)

I haven't added any point because I really doubt your male cat wears the point gene. Also, the blue eyes come with the point gene, so your kittens most likely won't have blue eyes.

All kitten will most likely have short hair like the male, as I also doubt your male cat wears the long hair gene (the mother seems like a half-long hair to me).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cwalkup329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, when I took her in it was kinda of short notice and I had made an appointment to get my cat neutered, but she went into heat almost immediately. He has since then been neutered though so no more kittens after this! She will be spayed after she has the kittens also. :)

I highly doubt that my male cat (Rigby) has the point gene in him too. He was also a stray that someone dropped off at my moms house when he was a tiny kitten, so I don't have any idea of his background. Thank you for the insight though as to what my kittens may look like! I'm a sucker for interesting looking cats and I plan on keeping one of the kittens from the litter. I will post pictures when they are born!