What Is Your Favorite Charity On "amazon Smile" ?

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remember to log into Amazon using the smile.amazon.com link so that your charity gets a donation. Good idea to update your browser bookmark :) The main page has Amazon Smile in the top right corner and under the search box it lists your charity. If you don't see the Amazon Smile logo, you're using the regular Amazon site and your charity won't get a donation. You'll have to log off and then go to smile.amazon.com and log in.

Oh you're right about making sure the web address is right! I gotta make sure mine is, I usually do Amazon on my phone but I got a new phone a few months ago and haven't thought about it. I had my smile as our our local SPCA but I also buy cat food and stuff from their store nextdoor which profits them, so I think I want to find a local foodbank actually. People with/without homes need food too. I know there's a lot of orgs in my city, and all over, so thanks for the reminder! I'm happy to give a bit of my lazy Amazon shopping dollars to help those who need it!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will have to check out these sites. I give to a local food bank and the ASPCA right now. I would like to find a local shelter to add to my will but can't seem to find one I like. Right now I give a good size check to the local ASPCA but all they do is keep sending me request for more money. I figure why send them money if that is all they are going to do with it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can look up how a charity spends all its donations here: Charity Navigator - Your Guide To Intelligent Giving | Home

Some charities may not spend much of their donations directly cause, using the money for marketing and admin stuff instead. The Humane Society of the United States has a poor rating because of where all donations go. I think they've been in the news for that, too. The money doesn't go to help animals directly.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can look up how a charity spends all its donations here: Charity Navigator - Your Guide To Intelligent Giving | Home

Some charities may not spend much of their donations directly cause, using the money for marketing and admin stuff instead. The Humane Society of the United States has a poor rating because of where all donations go. I think they've been in the news for that, too. The money doesn't go to help animals directly.
They won't get another cent of my money. I would much rather give to a small shelter in my area.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
To be fair a good portion of Amazon Smile charity does go to the charity. My friend is employed by The American Eagle Foundation and she has stated that the charity is very fair and Amazon Smile gives them a good amount of money. And she works in the office that collects it for the eagles.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I give a good size check to the local ASPCA but all they do is keep sending me request for more money.
Local SPCAs are not affiliated with the ASPCA. It's usually the ASPCA that sends donation requests, but your local SPCA doesn't see a penny of that money.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Local SPCAs are not affiliated with the ASPCA. It's usually the ASPCA that sends donation requests, but your local SPCA doesn't see a penny of that money.
I don't know if it was the SPCA or the ASPCA that I have been sending money to. I've sent money to one in DC and one near my house. It is just too confusing. I want to find a shelter in my area to help out.

When I retired I wanted to help out at a local shelter but I am just not able because of my arthritis.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I support Alley Cat Allies on Amazon, since they are a cat only TNR program. i also give to my local shelter several times a year, and sponser a 250.00/year 'Adopt a Kennel' for cats at the same local shelter, which is no kill, in the name of my beloved cats who have passed on.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is just too confusing.
They confuse people on purpose. Basically, ASPCA and HSUS are lobbying organizations. So that's good. But they don't run shelters (well, I guess ASPCA runs a couple of actual shelters, but not many). So if you want to support a local shelter, don't send the money anywhere out of town.

I keep forgetting to use the Smile link :/. I wish they made it easier. I don't think you can get to Smile on the app at all, and I use the app more often than not.