What Is Wrong With My Kitten?

bellle537

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my cat is now 7 months old. All of the sudden she has been acting very strange. She lays perched on the water heater and dryer all day long until we go and get her off. She has been whining a lot recently and she also has been licking obsessively recently on any kind of objects such as brick, metal and odd materials. I do not know if I should be worried and take her to the vet or what. I’m more concerned with the excessive whining and staying in one spot. We originally thought she just liked staying on the heater and dryer because it’s warm but now it’s her go to spot even when the dryer is not running and heater is not warm. Please help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellle537

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she has been spayed

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have definitely had posts pretty much exactly like this before and yes, there does usually turn out to be a health issue. Cats don't often show obvious medical-y signs like vomiting, limping or crying out from pain. Instead, they do weird stuff, act lethargic or don't eat. So when you get seriously weird behavior changes, certainly come here and ask, sometimes we will recognize them as a cat thing, but otherwise its a vet issue.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing that pops into my head about the licking metal and bricks is kitty being anemic. And anemia can be a symptom of several issues, some very serious, that need a vet. She could also be adamant about the heater and dryer because she is seeking out warmth, not being able to regulate her body temperature is also very concerning. If she is whining a lot, and it being a new behavior, my first guess is she is uncomfortable for some reason. All three of these symptoms, are a sure reason to take her to the vet ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellle537

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have definitely had posts pretty much exactly like this before and yes, there does usually turn out to be a health issue. Cats don't often show obvious medical-y signs like vomiting, limping or crying out from pain. Instead, they do weird stuff, act lethargic or don't eat. So when you get seriously weird behavior changes, certainly come here and ask, sometimes we will recognize them as a cat thing, but otherwise its a vet issue.
Okay we are monitoring her eating. We got her some toys and she’s being pretty active. We are taking her to the vet Monday when they re-open hopefully she will be fine by then. Thanks for your help.