What Is Wrong With My Cat? Coughing But No Hairball

Xselina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 4-5 times in the past 9 months I have noticed my cat having a small episode where she coughs/heaves like a hairball but nothing comes up. It lasts for about 10-20 seconds and she seems perfectly fine until it happens. I’ve read a few different things from illness to asthma and I don’t know whether to be very concerned. I am scheduling a vet appointment but just wanted to hear any thoughts if any other owners have seen similar symptoms and what they found it was? Thanks so much

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xselina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P.s I would never normally just sit there and record I just felt like I had to get it once on video to be able to show the vet/community to get advice

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: I'm glad you joined the forum and came here for help. Honestly, if your cat only made this sound 4-5 times in the past 9 months I wouldn't be too alarmed. There's also a possibility she could have an allergy. What type of food are you feeding her? In any case, it's always best to check with your vet because there could be something else occurring that they would find during an examination. I thought you might be interested in reading one of the TCS Articles about how to treat and prevent hairballs: How To Treat - And Prevent - Hairballs In Cats

I hope everything turns out okay. :alright: Please check back to keep us posted on her progress.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oohh my word, she just looks so ... :confused: I can't even think of an appropriate word. Poor baby
gosh I hope the vet gets this squared away for you!! hugs!

geodevos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If that cough is really infrequent, I wouldn't worry. My Dollie cat, (14 years old), recently coughed like that as often as several times a day. It scared me. She was treated twice for various types of worms, each time, the coughing diminished, gradually returning over a few weeks. She appeared to get re-infected or was not completely cleared up. At this point I re-tried an old home remedy I had long abandoned. For years I fed my pets diatomaceous earth for parasites until reading what seemed credible information debunking it as superstition so I quit. I still had some and decided it would do no harm since Dollie ate it daily for years. I gave her about a teaspoon in every meal of IAMS kibble in water 3 times a day. Eureka! the scarey cough was reduced immediately and completely gone in a week. I'll be using this stuff religiously again. It is palatable, and works in some way. It is also ok for human consumption. Just be sure to only use food grade. (don't use the industrial grade stuff used in swimming pool filters)

Dollie feels good, spontaneously racing around the house, and no coughing.