What is this? Strange fur formation

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any idea what this is on my five year old neutered male cat, Conan?

B694F41A-88F8-484F-8C64-053136C5E604.jpeg
EB0CB80D-AE0E-4F5D-8A3D-A92B86547D1D.jpeg
718EDC16-4265-49C8-8157-1A9E5692EEDC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you brush him regularly?
To me, it looks like dead hair. Have you tried to gently pull one of those little tufts?
Also, there are situations where the lack of some nutrients or certain hormonal or methabolic diseases lead to this.
They seem to just pull out.

I brushed him, and they pulled out and he seemed grateful for their removal. It appears like some kind of liquid got on him.

He seems okay physically, rambunctious as ever.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely hard to the touch, not sticky, mild “sweetish” odor
07148F1C-EEB7-4A33-823C-2F600C41B861.jpeg
3EEC2F97-0DA8-4A8C-97F6-AED611251CEB.jpeg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your cat allowed outdoors? He might have touched the lower surface of some items. Sweetish smell (and taste) is often associated to anti-freeze in car engines.
If he's not allowed outdoors then it is something in the house, like food that have dropped on him accidentally?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your cat allowed outdoors? He might have touched the lower surface of some items. Sweetish smell (and taste) is often associated to anti-freeze in car engines.
If he's not allowed outdoors then it is something in the house, like food that have dropped on him accidentally?
Great questions.

Conan (aka Shifferbrains) stays in (most of the time, he hasn't bolted outside in a few days) I didn't taste the tufts. I've had kitties in the past who did get out who got oil on their fur, and it was pretty obvious what it was.

The reason I was a bit alarmed was because the last time he had this type of thing (June 2022), he'd been rolled by a car or fallen out of a tree (what the vet said); unlike then, and the reason I didn't bolt to the vet's, this time he's not lethargic or wanting to hide. He seems grateful for the tufts' removal.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I was a bit alarmed was because the last time he had this type of thing (June 2022), he'd been rolled by a car or fallen out of a tree (what the vet said); unlike then, and the reason I didn't bolt to the vet's, this time he's not lethargic or wanting to hide. He seems grateful for the tufts' removal.
Some trees can drop some resin from their branches, especially pine trees. That is nasty to remove from hair (both human and pets).
Given that Conan didn't leave home recently, could it be just honey or jam or anything sweetish coming from a jar? He might even rolled on some bread slice accidentally 😄

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some trees can drop some resin from their branches, especially pine trees. That is nasty to remove from hair (both human and pets).
Given that Conan didn't leave home recently, could it be just honey or jam or anything sweetish coming from a jar? He might even rolled on some bread slice accidentally 😄
My garden is full of palm trees! They drop big leaves and fruit and flowers sometimes, but not resin.

I suppose he might have rolled in something or it dropped on him, but I'm a bit flummoxed as to what.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here’s part of my palm garden.

Conan loves to just wander through it, while birds screech "A cat a cat! Oh no . . . "

After a couple or three hours he usually bolts right back inside. I work out of home, so I'm around all day most of the time.

6DFD148F-4BEC-4780-B867-DE371CF4801D.jpeg
3EF1F156-B256-4958-A7FD-9D7B3ADADFB3.jpeg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose he might have rolled in something or it dropped on him, but I'm a bit flummoxed as to what.
Keep an eye on him and his litter box visits and as long as everything is fine in his toilet and he's eating and acting normally, I wouldn't worry that much.
But I guess you are just like me, a helicopter dad over your cat. One day I came home and found that my cats managed to find a package with cookies containing raisins and ate some. The first thing I did was to rush them both to the vets and have them thoroughly checked. All was clear. Fortunately nothing happened later, probably they just nibble at those cookies, but I got scared and kept a close eye on them for a week!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of all my cats (I have three, for the moment) Conan's the big nibbler. Even he's getting a lot more finicky than he used to be, though, that doesn't stop him from becoming a nuisance at meal time.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, a very Californian landscape 😻
Some will grow in Italia, too!

Kitty loves to nibble on grass and palms are basically just giant grasses. The great thing is they're not poisonous. Conan nibbles his share when he can . . . .