What is this darn thing? :p

bobbythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Joking, love her to death! 🥰

We're wondering if she could be any kind of mix of breeds. Mostly because of her tail. We first found her as a stray in a community of other cats so we don't know if her tail is naturally that way or if something had happened to her. She's an estimated 8 months right now, and we think we found her at about 2 months or less

First image is when we first got her, last ones are from 2 months ago.

1580847103591.png

1580847123919.png
1580847150124.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobbythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's gorgeous!! The length of her tail, if the vertebrae aren't fused, is termed Stubby, I believe :)
Oh wow! I've never heard of that! I think they are fused? Her tail is a little crooked which is why we think it might have been an injury,

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet could likely tell, --you could always have an x-ray done just to be sure there is no damage to her spine.

bobbythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet could likely tell, --you could always have an x-ray done just to be sure there is no damage to her spine.
We asked the vet about it last visit when she was spayed and they said they couldn't really say for sure which I thought was odd. Next visit for sure!

She is a very cute domestic shorthair dilute calico. What an adorable kitten.
I looked up some photos and some of the images look exactly like her!!! Thank you!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of natural bobtailed cats have clumped-up vertebrae in the tail. They have all the vertebrae; they just got jammed up instead of growing straight like most cats.

She looks like a Japanese Bobtail (probably not purebred, but the original Japanese Bobtails were street cats). So, yeah, a bobtailed domestic shorthair. She's the lucky mi-ke color too :D. Very pretty!

bobbythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A lot of natural bobtailed cats have clumped-up vertebrae in the tail. They have all the vertebrae; they just got jammed up instead of growing straight like most cats.

She looks like a Japanese Bobtail (probably not purebred, but the original Japanese Bobtails were street cats). So, yeah, a bobtailed domestic shorthair. She's the lucky mi-ke color too :D. Very pretty!
We were thinking she could have some Japanese Bobtail in her! (That breed always looked the most similar lol) I didn't know that about the tails! That's really neat! Thank you!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many naturally occurring mutations throughout the world that produce bobbed (short) or kinked tails. Your kitty might have a tail mutation shared with one of the existing short-tailed breeds (such as American Bobtail, Japanese Bobtail, or Manx), or she might have a new and different mutation. If you gently touch her tail and feel the bone structure, and it feels curled and kinked, she may have a similar mutation to the Japanese Bobtail. If it's mostly just shorter than a normal tail without pronounced curls or kinks in the tail, she may have a similar mutation to the American Bobtail, or she may have injured her tail as a kitten.

I agree that she has an overall similar look to a Japanese Bobtail cat. It's an uncommon breed, so it's not very likely she has Japanese Bobtail breed ancestry, but possible!

KittyMamaTeri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Joking, love her to death! 🥰

We're wondering if she could be any kind of mix of breeds. Mostly because of her tail. We first found her as a stray in a community of other cats so we don't know if her tail is naturally that way or if something had happened to her. She's an estimated 8 months right now, and we think we found her at about 2 months or less

First image is when we first got her, last ones are from 2 months ago.

View attachment 320964
View attachment 320965View attachment 320966
She is beautiful! I'm not very good at guessing breeds, but I was thinking maybe some Siamese, because of large ears and triangular face?

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She could be part Manx, due to the short tail. They range anywhere in length from rumpy, rumpy riser, stumpy, and longy (very scientific I know). I think she would be classified as stumpy.

I say "part" Manx because she doesn't look as round-faced as a typical Manx would be!