What Is This Chirping Sound My Kitten Makes When Scared?

snini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 6 month old kitten got spayed 10 days ago and reacts with fearful, aggressive body language when this huge neighbor cat tries make contact, she also hisses, but mostly chirps, which is a sound I've never heard

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
These sounds or rumbling sounds made by cats out of fear, anger or stating their territory.

My boy sometimes makes these sound when he's not happy with me cleaning his feet or bum. He does that when he's at the vet when he needs to be held for examination.

These are one of the many sounds they make.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That is what I call 'guttural growling' (coming from the throat). Feeby does it EVERYTIME she sees another cat, whether it is close to her or clear in the back of my yard that she can see them from the screened in patio. She gets so riled up that she will even hiss at me when I first tell her to stop. Two minutes later, all is back to normal. For her it is territorial in nature. She never makes that sound any other time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She gets so riled up that she will even hiss at me when I first tell her to stop. Two minutes later, all is back to normal. For her it is territorial in nature. She never makes that sound any other time.
Ahh, this my cat to the dot. She'll hiss at me if I try to interfere with the "meeting", but is never aggressive otherwise.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, btw, if she didn't do the growling before the spaying, you might to check to see if the incision is irritated/infected, or still somehow bothering her. Not likely, I realize, but you never know.

Otherwise, if you can keep the two away from each other, that would be best. Looks like you might have a one cat household - like mine. There was only ONE cat that Feeby EVER liked - a stray that came around and they would actually sit next to each other by the patio door; Feeby on the inside (of course) and "Boots" on the outside.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Gum was 5 weeks old when we rescued her. She didn't 'swear'. She had a dog as her companion, no cat. She went to the vet to be spayed and ended up staying a couple of days because a bunch of emergencies came in so her surgery was delayed.

While there she learned about 20 cat swear words and how to growl. It was startling, but the children always pick up the swear words fastest.

So, I think it's possible your kitty just learned to growl/chitter at the vets. They sleep in a large ward.