What Is The Standard Treatment For Flutd?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Based on my experience, veterinarians like to use antibiotics (Convenia, Clavamox) for FLUTD with or without doing a urinalysis (they rarely do a culture). The last time my elderly cat was peeing blood and urinating dime sized spots frequently, the vet prescribed a Convenia injection without getting a urine sample (I think the cat peed on the table or her bladder was empty). I allowed the injection only because my schedule was crazy due to a death in the family. A month later and the problems continued. As it turns out, the cat never had an infection, the Convenia didn't work, and the problem was related to stress about the younger cats. The problem was remedied immediately (by me) simply by keeping the cat in a room without the other cats in it and putting a litter pan in there.

Now I have a 5 y/o indoor only, neutered male (Miles) who was frequently peeing dime sized spots in several litter pans this morning. He was acting very hyper (running around the house), but in a happy excited way. He quieted down and went into hiding when a relative came by for a visit. I'm not sure if his behavior is medical or behavioral, so I'm holding off on making an appt.

So... if this peeing issues continues, I will make an appt. But what steps should the vet go through to get this problem diagnosed and treated? It seems like they should do an in-house urinalysis to get quick results. Then, if there's no indication of infection or kidney problems, do an x-ray to check for crystals and stones. If that's normal, I don't know, then what? I guess I don't want to give my cat antibiotics if he doesn't need them. Last year I dealt with an older cat who had two different strains of MRSA. So, I don't like using antibiotics unless necessary. I'd rather hold off on a culture unless there's an indication of infection from the urinalysis. Does blood work need to be done?

Opinions would be appreciated. I'm sure there are people who are more up-to-date on this than I am.

I suppose it's worth pointing out that another cat in the house has been peeing outside of the primary/central downstairs litter pans once a day since late December - more about that here - Peeing Outside The Litter Box After Death Of Other Cat. I think it's Miss Thang (Miles's sister), but I'm not 100% sure, yet. I caught her trying to cover up a fresh pee spot on three occasions. It doesn't mean she did it, but since she's the only one who I keep seeing there, I suspect she's the guilty party.

Since there's no problems at the other litter pan locations, I want to make a change to the litter pan area before taking her to the vet. I want to remove the one litter pan and replace it with something bigger. These are naturally big cats (10-15 lbs. with a long body) and the litter pan is more for a small, short cat 10 lb. and under. Of course, she could be trying to get my attention. I realized that I was so busy last year with my two terminally ill cats, that everyone else kind of got ignored. Since December, I've been super stressed and haven't spent any time with Miss Thang. She's been craving attention this week - she was seeking me out and left toys at my bedroom door.

So I don't know if Miss Thang's peeing issues are related to Miles's issues. There's definitely been a lot of human stress around here for the last week.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about the babies you lost in December. Surely, your kitties feel your stress. Hopefully, that is all it is, because FLUTD is harder to treat. But it can be done.
My boy had crystal blockage and required emergency intervention about a year ago. I spoke to the vet often about FLUTD, diet, etc. You are correct in that antibiotics are usually not helpful because often, there is no bacterial infection. Sometimes, it can just be inflammation in the bladder which can mimic infection. While every case is different, protocol for my boy (after his surgery) has been prescription food, stress reduction and cosequin (reduces inflammation, is non-prescription). But your babies have not been diagnosed with crystals, so not sure that would be good? First and foremost, whenever litter box behavior is "off", a trip must be made to the vet if you can. You are correct in that an ultrasound would probably be next on the list after a urine check. For my boy, the ultrasounds could show "sediment" in his bladder. He was a "crystal-making machine", according to the ER vet. I would not think bloodwork would be needed in a non-ER situation, but not sure.

Secondly, yes, you need a jumbo box. I have three of these:

Litter Boxes | Petmate® Giant Litter Pan

Your cats will love them and they hold up well.
I also would not use any scented litter, as it might deter them.
Do you have a water fountain? I have Original Drinkwell and my cats can't be without it, they love it so much (i have two of them).

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surgery.
I hate to say it but no one could ever answer my questions on my bub. They said infection, which always comes back negative after three days. They said once was crystals. They said maybe cystitis. They said maybe stress. They asked if he's hydrated. Maybe cosequin might help. Maybe cranberry. Here's a prescription food, and no it doesn't matter if it's wet or DRY.

He blocked 3 times and I can't afford to keep unblocking him with no set course of treatment when all the answers were maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe. So we had his urethra rerouted and widened. And we were extremely fortunate in his recovery. He had basically zero issues, incontinence, no stricture, no infections. He was on Prozac before he blocked and after surgery until I finally discontinued it in December. He's great. Fabulous. He even knows how to spray with the new placement. Every litter box we have is a modified storage bin to it's tall in the back because sometimes he likes to pee seated, and sometimes he likes to blast it full while standing up.

If I sound aggressive it's because FLUTD ends up being a generic term for "we don't know". I modified my bub, and I don't like it. I love him to pieces and we're 13 months post-surgery.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lalagimp, I agree. The PU surgery is very stressful and recovery is delicate. Although, my boy did well (eventually) and it sounds like yours did, too.
I think FLUTD has become such a generic term, for "we don't know". Could be infection, no infection, stress, crysals, annoyed cat, litter rebellion, etc. It is incredibly frustrating and scary for cats and their parents. :silver:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now I'm not even sure it's a urination problem. Miles was still having issues in the litter pan this evening, but he also had a loose stool. I didn't see it (the light was off in the room) but I heard it. Then I turned the light on and looked at his butt. He had this mucus looking thing with brown in it hanging in his fur (he's long-haired). I smelled it and it didn't really smell like poop. I've smelled that odor before but can't place it. The first thing that came to mind was that it smelled like mexican food. I'm wondering if he's constipated. I haven't seem him grooming his rear end except after he had the loose stool. I think he was audibly straining or grunting before he had it.

Earlier today some cat was thoughtful enough to leave a small piece of soft poop in my bed. It could've been Miles. Maybe he has megacolon or IBD? Maybe it is a urination problem?

And naturally this occurs on the weekend when we're expecting a wintry mix. Monday I have to take my elderly aunt to the doctor as she has blood clots that need to be checked on. Tuesday and Wednesday there's snow and ice in the forecast. I'm so tired of problems. All I have is problems. Every six months some cat has a problem. I'm tired of cat problems. I need a shot of rum - gold rum to be exact. Make it a double. :frustrated:

Seriously, where is the bartender around here?

catrvt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lalagimp, I agree. The PU surgery is very stressful and recovery is delicate. Although, my boy did well (eventually) and it sounds like yours did, too.
I think FLUTD has become such a generic term, for "we don't know". Could be infection, no infection, stress, crysals, annoyed cat, litter rebellion, etc. It is incredibly frustrating and scary for cats and their parents. :silver:
FLUTD stands for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, its a term for a group of diseases. Much like NFL is a term for a group of football teams. It doesn't mean "we dont know", it means that the kitty has one (or more) disease process related to their lower urinary system such as crystals, bladder or urethral stones, cystitis etc.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I want a rum and coke. :)... I was just wondering, is your cat getting a lot of dry food? Canned food really helps my cats when they have peeing problems.

catrvt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most veterinarians recommend a canned diet because it has more moisture, but for cats on a prescription diet (c/d, S/O etc) it’s more important that they eat their Rx food even if it’s the dry version.