Peeing Outside The Litter Box After Death Of Other Cat

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Around February 2017, one of my cat's started peeing outside one litter box. By March, the cat was peeing outside two litter boxes. In April, I finally saw which cat was doing it (BJ) and I took him to the vet. He was diagnosed with advanced kidney disease and anemia of an unknown cause. I tried various things to remedy the peeing problem but nothing worked. The vet was never able to obtain a urine sample although they falsely told me they did. By the end of June, BJ had to be PTS due to severe anemia.

The day after BJ was PTS, his sister Sweetie started peeing outside the two primary/central litter boxes. Full lab work including a urinalysis was done and there was nothing there to indicate a medical reason for the peeing. It was assumed to be behavioral, especially based on when it started. When I would catch Sweetie about to pee outside the litter box, I would tell her "you use that litter box" and she would get in it and pee. This went on until 12/30 when she had to be PTS due to inoperable masses in her neck that restricted her airway and eating. There were no signs of a medical problem until December.

The day after Sweetie was PTS, another cat has started peeing outside the two primary/central litter boxes. I have no idea as to who it is. It could be BJ and Sweetie's last remaining sibling (she doesn't seem affected by Sweetie's death) or it could be another cat.

I would think the problem is behavioral based on when it started, but then I think that maybe Sweetie started peeing outside the litter box because she was trying to tell me that something was wrong or because she didn't feel well. Maybe another cat is trying to tell me something is wrong. I don't know. This is all just so strange. It's also overwhelming because it's been going on for nearly a year. Any advice?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your losses.

You have a very good understanding of what causes going outside of a litter box.

Like you, I always take the cat(s) to the vet to rule out any medical issues (infection, pain, etc).

Once we rule out medical causes (or try to) then we focus on behavioral. Losing loved ones can definitely cause stress (and territorial insecurity) and unease so that very well could be the cause.

So what I would do is try to take them to the vet to rule out any medical issues.

Then I would step up play (really important) with them especially in the areas they are going outside of the litter box. Really good play sessions then feed either treats or a meal. I would make sure there is warm and comfy bedding all over the house, cat trees and scratching posts (especially near where the behavior is happening). Finally give them as much love and attention as you can (especially in the areas they are going). Give them treats, try to get them to purr (only if you can safely without being at risk of being hurt in any way). Just do everything you can to get them to feel safe, secure, and comfortable and feeling the love. Try to stay as calm and confident around then as possible. Talk calmly and lovingly to them. Just reassure them that they are loved and taken care of.

Also, make sure you clean the areas with the proper cleaning solution so the scent is taken away. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

I am willing to help you and the cats get through this terrible loss. play is very important and all the things we will do will be to build their confidence so that they can learn to accept the loss. This is sadly very common after a loved one leaves us let alone two in such a short time.

But we will get through this. Please feel free to ask anything anytime. I will be here for as long as needed.