What Is The Safest Way To Clean Literbox?

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one cat. Dish soap, an old sponge/scrubber and a garden hose. Done.

Does dish soap kill bacteria? Yes, mostly. It breaks down the cell walls. It won't kill viruses. But the foaming action for the soap/detergent along with the rinsing washes away bacteria and viruses. Does it wash away all of it? Nah, probably not. Certainly not as effective as a bleach solution. But the way I figure it, as soon as the cat does his business in the newly "sanitized" box with new litter, the entire germ/virus cycle is starting all over again. I avoid bleaching the box in the event that the plastic holds the smell and kitty is adverse to any remaining bleach scent. Some cats like the smell of bleach, some dislike it. I don't risk it. Just my personal decision and way of doing it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
In the occasion that one of my cats falls ill or there’s a virus going around I will just replace their entire litter box.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminds me I Have to dump/clean the litter box of my guy.

After dumping the litter, I wipe the box down with Clorox wipes. I then put it in the tub, with some Blue Dawn and let it soak for a bit.

I dump the water, use a wet Hand-Wipe with some Dawn, and wash it down.

Then I rinse, really well.

If it is particularly smelly, I wish wash it twice.

Then I either let it air dry or wipe dry with an old towel.

Been doing this for years.. began with my last cat---5 years ago.

Currently, I am living in a tiny apartment, which does not have a balcony. I used to let the box air dry, in the sun. Now I cannot.

Good Luck!

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are getting a new kitten and want to make sure no bacteria are passed to the kitten via the liter box. Is soap and hot water sufficient? I read a post here to use diluted bleach but other places say that is definitely not to be used. Then I wonder if they use the same liter box anyway....will it really matter?
If you use bleach, consider the following:
1. It is horrible for the environment. It kills marine life.
2. You have to clean the box thoroughly before you disinfect with bleach because it loses any disinfecting properties once iui t comes into contact with organic matter.
3. It is bad for yours and your cat's health. It affects the respiratory system and who knows what else.

Just use hot water and dish soap and a brush. Unless your cat has some infectious disease, cleaning it regularly with hot water and dish soap will suffice. If you are insistent on disinfection, then get accelerated hydrogen peroxide. This kills everything from parvovirus to ringworm (better than bleach). Google Prevention RTU (it could be different acronym) or Prevail disinfectant cleaner.