What Is The Best Way To Dispose Of Biodegradable Litter?

mannie3moon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am seriously considering switching from normal clay litter to something natural and biodegradable, like Smart Cat, Naturally Fresh, sWheat Scoop, or something similar. For those of you who already use these types of litter, how do you dispose of it? I ask because I think that sending biodegradable cat litter to the landfill in a plastic bag kind of defeats the purpose of using that kind of litter.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on where you're located, you could touch base with your local waste management folks and see what their thoughts are on the subject.
It's a one at a time thing, in other words, you're doing the right thing, yet everybody around me (for example) just dumps their dog poo into the trash bins. It's a little frustrating...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our county picks up biodegradable waste every week in summer, every other week otherwise. The animal shelter uses Cats Best Ökoplus litter and disposes of it that way.

Some individual households put it in a composter (with or without the feces).

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use SmartCat litter. For years, I’ve scooped into cheap brown paper lunch bags. I figure the lunch bags are better than plastic. I start a new bag in the evening, scoop the contents of three boxes into it, set the bag in a pail overnight, scoop the contents of three boxes into it first thing in the morning, and then drop it into the trash.

I see that Chewy’s has what they say are compostable bags: BioBag Pet Waste Bags on a Roll.

As I understand it, there’s a difference between compostable and biodegradable with compostable being preferable.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are starting to look, this might be one for you to try. I did a test, and my cats loved it. I am still debating on whether to switch over or not. If you dont mind ordering online, it would be a great option. And they recommend recycling it in your yard, or flower beds. I would guess you could do this with any of the biodegradable litters?

CatSpot Litter | Organic Cat Litter Delivery Service

For scooping i get small compostable kitchen waste bags, from Kroger.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use sWheat Scoop and flush it. I scoop twice a day. I love the stuff. My city does take kitty litter in our green carts too if I ever switch back to clay (which I doubt I will!)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ask because I think that sending biodegradable cat litter to the landfill in a plastic bag kind of defeats the purpose of using that kind of litter.
I dump my cat's natural litter in the organic waste bin.
I have a small trash bin outside, with a plastic bag in it. All the dirty litter goes in there. When the bag is full I tie it and drop it into the big brown wheelie bin that is collected twice weekly.
In that brown bin all organic trash is put, into plastic bags, as for waste management intructions. So the plastic bag I use isn't a great concern.

When I used the mineral litter I would dump it into the dark grey wheelie bin, the one for not recyclable waste.