What is she trying to tell me?

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Phoebe and I play with a wand toy, she takes the feathers on the end puts them in her mouth and carries it away in her mouth. I follow her (holding the wand) while she leads us away somewhere else.

This is when I get confused. Is she taking the toy away because she doesn’t want to play anymore, or just doesn’t want to play anymore with me? Or am I over-thinking this?

I just want to make playing as fun as possible, and I don’t feel like we’re quite on the same page here. Is her carrying the toy away her way of saying “I’m done, leave me alone” or is she encouraging me to keep up the play?

I’d love any thought or suggestions. Thanks!
ED9625F5-F221-4FFE-8BAD-C086B1EF6874.jpeg

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just over thinking it! Toys are cats "prey" and lots of cats once they catch their prey will carry it somewhere safe to eat it. Just her natural instinct :) no reason you can't go back to playing with her when it's put down, actual prey will often play dead and suddenly get up and run off when they're put down. Mimicking that natural hunting experience is usually the best kind of play for kitties!

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do the same thing with the feathers, often crunching on them (no, they don't last very long). I have to take the toy out of their mouths. I use a treat to do it, so I think I'm following the "hunt-catch-eat" of cat play, sort of.

They've been doing it this way for a long time, so they must find the experience satisfying.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Juno too. In fact, she shows a strong preference for wand toys she can carry in her mouth vs. those she can't. She walks with the toy in her mouth in such a proud fashion, it always looks like she's triumphantly carrying a mouse. And I'm confident she wants me to follow her because she'll slow down to let me, and she has learned not to walk under certain furniture because I can't follow her without getting the string caught and dropping the wand.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats will normally bat around and play with their dead prey before eating them in the wild, and will constantly move the prey from one spot to another during this process, it's not a reflection or a calling card for you to get involved as that is never the case in the wild, other cats would normally watch on in awe, and only when the hunter has decided they no longer want any more sustinance from their prey, will others try and tuck in.

After the hunt, or play you should be feeding the cat, so that completes the cycle for the current play session.

Once this session is over, leave them to groom themselves and probably sit and relax, basking in their own company for a while before initiating another play session.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's teaching you what to do when you "kill" something.
Once a cat has caught it's dinner, it's time to take it someplace safe to eat it.

Cats teach things to each other by example. If one cat does something, the other cats in her clan will learn by watching. Since a house cat usually thinks of their humans as part of their clan, your cat is treating you like one of her own.

Just a guess...but I think that giving her a treat after catching the feather toy might be the "right" thing to do.

If a wild cat would take its kill someplace to eat it, when your cat takes her feather toy to that "someplace else," getting a treat might just be completing the script, so to speak.

:)