Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

What Is It About Bleach Fumes???

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by FeebysOwner, Oct 31, 2018.

1. FeebysOwner

FeebysOwner Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    Hi all! I've always used cleaners with bleach in them, but no other cat before Feeby ever seemed interested in the fumes. If I am using a cleaner with bleach in it in my bathroom, she has to be sitting just on the other side of the doorway sniffing away. And, she will stay there until I chase her out of the area. She has always done this for as long as I can remember, so it is not a new behavior. I generally forget about her doing it after a day or so, but it is fresh on my mind right now because she did this again yesterday.

Is this just a fluke with her? Is the bleach smell similar to what I've heard about cats being attracted to the smell (and taste) of anti-freeze? Just curious. Thanks!

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Forum Helper Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Hi! Antifreeze is sweet tasting/smelling, from what I understand.
    Not at all sure about the bleach, or is it that she doesn't like the closed door, and wants to know what you're doing?

FeebysOwner purraised this.

3. FeebysOwner

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    No, door is not closed while I am in the area, and she still sits there. I do close it if I leave however, just because I do not want her getting any closer.

Furballsmom purraised this.

4. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    lordy, you have a huffing cat LOL
    I'm KIDDING
    which (slight thread hijack) reminded me of that from the OTHER end of things

:p

Confessions of an American Cat Huffer

Oh, by the way if you want a mod to delete that duplicate post (if they haven't already), click on the little black flag in the lower left hand corner of that other post, (or the three lines, then the flag) and type in the blank field that comes up that you'd like to have it deleted :)

5. Saber_Wing

Saber_Wing TCS Member Young Cat

Oct 22, 2018
    You might want to be cautious with the bleach - if mixed with ammonia, which cat urine is heavy in, it can create fumes that are deadly. Don't use it on litter boxes.

FeebysOwner and Furballsmom purraised this.

6. susanm9006

susanm9006 Willow Top Cat

Feb 20, 2011
    Willow just adores the smell of chlorine. When I come back from the pool she will roll in and cover herself with my wet swim suit and towel until I take them away. I don’t know where she lived her first year but we joke that she was raised in a laundry.

7. Hellenww

Hellenww TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 5, 2018
    South Jersey, USA
    Yoshi loves lemon and citrus scented cleaners. I have to block doors so he can't get to the wet floors. He'll roll around on the dry floor like it's catnip. He also love bitter apple. Little Weirdo!

8. FeebysOwner

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    That's what Feeby does! She will roll around on the floor just outside the bathroom where I've used the bleach, like it's catnip!

Since Feeby was about 2 years old when we found her, maybe she too was raised in a laundry!!

9. fallandriseandfall

fallandriseandfall TCS Member Young Cat

Oct 9, 2018
    My family's old cat would do this. She loooooved bleach. My mom would mop and my cat would go wild, running around, rolling on the floor, getting high. The same with chlorine. When we would get out of the hot tub or pool, she would latch onto our legs and lick us until we finally shook her off and dried our legs.

She never displayed any sort of adverse reaction, totally normal. So I'd say it's just a good smell for them!

10. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Cats are weird LOL

11. Jayflower

Jayflower TCS Member Super Cat

May 17, 2018
    Illinois
    My C'est Moi does the same thing; She seems to love the smell of bleach cleaning spray! I'm always careful not to let her get any of it on her though, because it may be poisonous.

Furballsmom and FeebysOwner purraised this.

12. ameliashuman

ameliashuman TCS Member Young Cat

Jan 8, 2015
    My girl cat also likes bleach. She's usually a lazy cat with limited interest in playing, but we start cleaning and it's like she's kitten again running around crazy and super playful. She also gets like this when we burn food, especially bacon. Crazy cats

FeebysOwner, Furballsmom and susanm9006 purraised this.