What Food Are You Craving?

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are a girl after my own heart. I love salt more than life itself. I am a salt alcoholic. When I was in the hospital on a no salt diet I though I was going to die.
I've started collecting artisan salts. I don't have many at the moment, but I've got Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and Icelandic "volcano" charcoal sea salt. Both in those little table grinders. Just had the Icelandic salt on some fresh popcorn~

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is not in this section that I get ignored. I just get paranoid. In my other cat foram I was a member for 25 years and I kept getting ignored by their petty little clique so I stopped going. They were so small I think they finally closed up.
No wonder they closed, especially if they were ignoring a 25-year member. :(

BTW, muffy muffy , and anyone else, if you like to read, please consider joining our book of the month club. It's not sugary or salty, but this month is a cat book. So definitely a topic we all have in common. Here's the link: Featured - April 2020 book of the month club

I definitely have more of a salt tooth than a sweet tooth.
I'm the opposite, and rarely crave salt. I also rarely add salt my cooking. However, on the rare occasion, I'll crave salt and vinegar chips, and eat them till my lips get corroded. :lol:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rhubarb. This is the time of year when I want rhubarb, gently cooked with raisins and a little bit of sugar. I'm reluctant to go to a large supermarket, The IGA would have it in the ordinary course of things (remember those days?) but I don't want to go there on a "maybe." Or just for a single item either. There's the farm stand across the river in Pennsylvania - I should call them. Or if the craving becomes too strong to ignore I will, reluctantly, pull a couple of stems off the one rhubarb plant I grow as a stately, leafy, ornamental.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not in this section that I get ignored. I just get paranoid. In my other cat foram I was a member for 25 years and I kept getting ignored by their petty little clique so I stopped going.
I get ignored a lot on Facebook! My friends/family on there don't seem to like music or talking about food & coffee. The only thing they respond to is if I post pics of Demi & Maggie.

I've started collecting artisan salts.
I want to try a spicy salt.

Now I'm craving rhubarb! When I was a kid, we used to dunk it in sugar. So yummy and sour.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started collecting artisan salts. I don't have many at the moment, but I've got Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and Icelandic "volcano" charcoal sea salt. Both in those little table grinders. Just had the Icelandic salt on some fresh popcorn~
Where do you buy the above salt? I have seen some salt that come in those little table grinders in the grocery stores. I like the bottles they come in but I have never tried them. The only salt I won't eat is sea salt. I just find that gross.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where do you buy the above salt? I have seen some salt that come in those little table grinders in the grocery stores. I like the bottles they come in but I have never tried them. The only salt I won't eat is sea salt. I just find that gross.
The pink sea salt just came from iHerb. I had my folks buy the Icelandic salt when they were in Iceland (I've been before so didn't want any typical souvenirs and found out they had special salt) I love sea salt, I like it much better than regular table salt.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pink sea salt just came from iHerb. I had my folks buy the Icelandic salt when they were in Iceland (I've been before so didn't want any typical souvenirs and found out they had special salt) I love sea salt, I like it much better than regular table salt.
My problem with sea salt is that they get it from the sea where all the fish go to the bathroom and die. I can't eat anything coming from those waters.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My problem with sea salt is that they get it from the sea where all the fish go to the bathroom and die. I can't eat anything coming from those waters.
Ah, I see. Well, himalayan salt comes from ancient sea beds and is mined similar to rock salt. The other stuff does come directly from the sea but is bleached/sterilized naturally by the sun.

I don't like buying local Korean salt because I know they've had really bad issues with salt flat owners in the southern islands treating employees (mostly disabled people and undocumented foreigners) like slaves. There was a big investigation about 6 or 7 years ago, and over a hundred workers were rescued, but I don't doubt that it still happens. :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problem with sea salt
I read that sea salt doesn't have an ingredient that we need in it, so regular salt is better. Is that true?

Today I'm craving pasta, but not gluten-free, the regular kind! 🍝

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read that sea salt doesn't have an ingredient that we need in it, so regular salt is better. Is that true?

I would guess you mean iodine. Table salt is "iodized salt". There are other foods that include iodine, but the reason it was added to table salt was simply because it was the easiest way to make sure people get enough. Kind of like fluoride in the water.

I think most sea salt contains some iodine, although it might be more naturally occurring stuff coming from seaweed than added purposefully during production.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="maggiedemi, post: 5140561, member: 119711"

[/QUOTE]
Is there a difference between the taste of gluten-free pasta and the regular kind? I have been thinking of trying a gluten-free diet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a difference between the taste of gluten-free pasta and the regular kind?
Oh good lord, yes. A lot of gluten-free foods taste like cardboard or roadkill to me. But maybe you will have better luck with it. You have to cook the pasta for less time and watch it like a hawk.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good lord, yes. A lot of gluten-free foods taste like cardboard or roadkill to me. But maybe you will have better luck with it. You have to cook the pasta for less time and watch it like a hawk.
Thanks for the info. I will try a box of the pasta to see how I like it. It is getting harder and harder for me to find something I can eat. I am a strict vegetarian but lately it seems every vegetable I eat seems to irritate my IBS. I though maybe a gluten-free diet might help.