What does your cat's name mean?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Forrest, too...but he's not so much "of the woods" as of the dumpster (some awful person dumped him and his brother in a dumpster as kittens).

I had to revise the spelling a bit, but my other is Tailer. Taylor means "a tailor"...I guess that he does keep us in stitches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Nora means "Honor".

The tortie I hope to get will be renamed either Millie, Nell or Penny.

Millie means "mild strength"

Penny means "with a web over her face"

Nell means "light"

Which do you think she looks like?
Hmm...I don't know her personality or anything, so I can't be sure if she has mild strength of not. I think all of the names themselves look like they'd suit her. This is a really tough decision. I think Millie is the best match...something about her just fits when you say it, "Millie..."

stormy55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat's name is Raven.
Meaning of Raven- Blackbird(never woulda' guessed:p) Fits her because, of course, she is black. Also, her meow is very high pitched and honestly can sound like a birds tweet.

And then I am looking after three strays.
Jonathan-God Has Given-Not sure if it fits or not. He wandered into my feral cat trap, so he could have been given to me by an invisible hand

Silk-Didn't show up in name site, so looked it up in dictionary. A fine continuous protein fiber produced by various insect larvae usually for cocoons especially a lustrous tough elastic fiber produced by silkworms and used for textiles. I named her Silk because she has an especially soft, fine-furred coat.
Gabriel-God Is My Strength. He is a very muscular cat, but I don't think the meaning can be applied. I named him Gabriel after the angel, since he has never done a single thing wrong. Starting with using the litter box perfectly, to never scratching or hissing, to somehow knowing instantly that counters are not for jumping.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Only two of my girls showed up on the list. Iris means rainbow. Cali was there with but no meaning attached.
I named her Cali because when she was born she was trying to be a calico, just didn't quite make it.

Shareena was named after a goddess in a (as yet unpublished) book that I've written.

Miss Patchwillow was called Patch when I got her, which I didn't think was a very attractive name for a girl kitten. One of my friends has written a children's story (also unpublished) about a witch named Mz. Patchwillow. My kitty isn't a witch, but I liked the name so I borrowed it.

Goldy is my golden girl. Her orange fur is light enough to be almost yellow and her eyes are golden.

Lion is self-explanatory.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky: It means that I am very Lucky to have her on my life
(hopefully she feels the same way too!)

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Skinny = her physical condition when rescued

Wawa = short for "kawawa" a Filipino word meaning pitiful (condition when rescued)
QT = "cutee"

Ichi, Ni, San, Yon, Go = Japanese words for one, two, three, four, five (rescued orphan kittens)
Ashley, Buddy = Names for the first two letters of the alphabet. If I rescued more after them they would have been called Charlie, Dan, Elmo, etc.

Joji = no particular meaning. She responds to that name.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKitties

Aplogies to those with cats without "human" names! Well, you can make up meanings then. It sounds like the meaning is right in the name already!
yeah you got that right

flash darts all over the place

sooty looks like hes dropped outta the chimney

scarlett&dan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
our kitten is called Nala because she looks alot like Simbas girlfriend in the Lion King film.

check her out in the photos forum. i think the thread is called first photos of nala!!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats aren't in the list.. They are called Utu and Kuura. Those are finnish words and mean Mist and Frost. Both cats are named by their breeders and they got their names because they remind you of mist and frost, suits them well.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Cali was there with but no meaning attached.
I named her Cali because when she was born she was trying to be a calico, just didn't quite make it.
Cali means beautiful.

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well my baby has 2 names! lol
Ricky- Strong power; hardy power and Bobby- Bright fame

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sabastian was already named when i got him and i thought it was cute so i kept it.

Nipper was his name when i adopted him and he was already 3 yrs olor hed so i kept it, but the reason they named him that is he likes to nip ya.

Princess- me n mark picked that name for her cause she is our 1st girl and we are going to treat her like the little princess she is!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky -Fortunate

Gus- Stave of Goths ?
I have no idea what that means.

My daughter named him Gus-Gus after the fat little mouse in Cinderella. He had an enormous belly (He was a feral kitten he was full of worms).

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nova means new. I named her Nova as in stars becoming super bright

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

Gus- Stave of Goths ?
I have no idea what that means.
I recently lost a Gus, and the site I looked at a while ago said it meant "staff of the gods". Gus is a diminutive of a few different names. Angus being one, means "one strength".

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I named my boy Cage sort of after Nicolas Cage, the actor, I am a big fan, and I thought 'Cage' as a kitty name would be cool and different. I wanted his name to be unique. Sometimes when he is super bad I tell him he got his name because he such an animal he deserves to be locked inside a cage. Originally I had considered calling him "Spoon", but it didn't sound very regal or proud.

When Cruz came to my home, as a rescue, she had a rhinestone-studded collar and about 2 feet of twine wrapped around her tiny neck, with a four-inch wooden cross hanging off the whole mess. The twine was so tight it had cut into her neck, and the collar was way too small, and stuck - we had to cut it off. I did a search of baby names online and found that Cruz means "the cross bearer". It fit so perfectly it was like fate, because she came to me bearing a cross, and is also the last name of a famous actress (Penelope Cruz, who I am NOT a big fan of, but whatever).

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kismet: Fate or Destiny.... I wanted something that meant luck, or fate.... as I was quite lucky to talk my husband into a cat

Some other names in my house:

Meka: means eyes (her's are gorgeous and captivating.... shes a lizard)
Kiyomi: means pure beauty
Akio: means bright boy (and yes he is)
Takara: means treasure, precious object ( and she is.. what she holds inside her is a multitude of genetic possibilities)

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Squeaky. Er, *runs to dictionary.com*

squeak⋅y
   /ˈskwiki/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [skwee-kee]
–adjective, squeak⋅i⋅er, squeak⋅i⋅est.
squeaking; tending to squeak: His squeaky shoes could be heard across the lobby.