What does your cat sound like?

csts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats are chatterboxes. I wish I had a Cat-to-Human translator sometimes. Or even just a single moment of silence (especially when I am trying to sleep).
Oh, who am I kidding, I actually like it. I feel less lonely while my husband's deployed with them being so talkative.

Charvone mostly communicates by grunting. His grunts sound like "Mrrff!" or "Un-gah" (the "u" sounds like "oo" except shorter). He usually grunts to announce that he's jumping up or down from something, or when he wants affection. When he's hungry, he says "Un-raow Un-raow", "Prrrr-nyao Prrrr-nyao", "Um-meow", "Rriaaao~". The last one sounds kind of pitiful; he uses it when he thinks I'm taking too long to put the food in his bowl. Sometimes, he'll walk down the hallway and do the "lonely meows" which are long, low-pitched, and sound like "rrooooooww". His more urgent meows sound like "Meeehrrr!" (soft e), "Rraaaaaaow!" I think the last one means, "Can you put the food in my bowl any slower? I'm practically starving over here." I've also heard him say "Mang!"

Sakura-chan talks almost non-stop. She's either trilling very high-pitched ("Prrr-rrr?", "Prrr-rrrr-rrr!", "Prr!)"or she says "Uh-rraow?" with an almost Southern-sounding twang. I sometimes wonder if she is trying to imitate my husband's accent--he's from Kentucky. Almost everything she says sound like uptalk (rising intonation where everything someone says sounds like he or she is asking a question, even when it is not a question at all). Sometimes her trills and meows sound like a siren. I always say "Oh no, the kitty alarm is going off!" when she does this. Her voice is very high-pitched but not very loud unless she's doing her firetruck/ambulance impressions. She also says, "Uh-ra?" with her "Uh-rraow?"

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even at 6 months old, Ninja's meow sounds like... You know that youtube video of the angry, squeaking frog? He sounds exactly like that.

Though for some reason, he only meows for food now. The rest of the time, he trills and coos, which he never did before. I'm still trying to figure that out.

nessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Even at 6 months old, Ninja's meow sounds like... You know that youtube video of the angry, squeaking frog? He sounds exactly like that.

Though for some reason, he only meows for food now. The rest of the time, he trills and coos, which he never did before. I'm still trying to figure that out.
My little Sootball does the same thing! Never meows unless she's begging for food, then it's that super long "meoooooooooowwwwww-oooooowwww" sound. She's usually a very quiet cat, but will occasionally squeak or trill.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our cats make many noises... trills, coos, squeaks, soft meows, demanding screeches, growls.  I have two that walk around mumbling under their breath.  One that meows loud and frantic while she is bringing you a toy; but the toy is not to play with, she wants to trade it for temptations and will not settle until she get them.  After that, she will steal her toy back so she can use it the next time.  Its almost always the same toy (a ribbon wand toy) unless for some reason she cannot find it in which case she will go in the bathroom and steal a hairtie she can bring you.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bud talks, and talks, and talks...

When he's staring out the balcony door he does a running commentary of what he sees outside, with chirps and trills and all sorts of uncategorizable, funny sounds. Sometimes he gets frustrated that there's glass between him and whatever insect, bird or squirrel he wants to murder, and he'll hop five feet in the air against the glass, talking a mile a minute.

His meows are reserved for 1) Food, 2) OMG PLAY WITH ME NOW NOW NOW!!! 3) When he wants me to lay down on the couch just so, so he can snuggle comfortably between my legs, 4) When he wants me to wake up, and 5) When I'm in the bathroom.

Then there's the BRRRRRUUUUPPPPHHH!!! that comes before he starts rocketing around the apartment like he's had six cans of Red Bull.

And finally, there's his finely tuned whine when he wants something.

I never thought a plain old domestic tabby cat would be so vocal!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blighty is a big boy who only squeaks unless he's in the carrier. That's the only time I've heard him meow.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grizzly meows like a girl. Even before neutering 
 Seriously, he doesn't sound like a male cat.

He makes different sounds, depending on who he is calling. I'm "Maowa".. Nice to meet y'all.. 

Bud talks, and talks, and talks...

When he's staring out the balcony door he does a running commentary of what he sees outside, with chirps and trills and all sorts of uncategorizable, funny sounds. Sometimes he gets frustrated that there's glass between him and whatever insect, bird or squirrel he wants to murder, and he'll hop five feet in the air against the glass, talking a mile a minute.

His meows are reserved for 1) Food, 2) OMG PLAY WITH ME NOW NOW NOW!!! 3) When he wants me to lay down on the couch just so, so he can snuggle comfortably between my legs, 4) When he wants me to wake up, and 5) When I'm in the bathroom.

Then there's the BRRRRRUUUUPPPPHHH!!! that comes before he starts rocketing around the apartment like he's had six cans of Red Bull.

And finally, there's his finely tuned whine when he wants something.

I never thought a plain old domestic tabby cat would be so vocal!
I beat you @Plan  - Grizzly meows all day long INCLUDING his sleep.. He actually talks in his sleep.. He even makes sounds while he eats - especially when it's something he really likes

Last edited:

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sweetie is a purr box, rarely meows. Cimba gives full Meows like a siamese talking all the time. Dutchess chirps only for food or brushing. Dante trills and ends with a meow when he wants my attention, making cooing sound like a dove when he is on my lap and gives a full meow to everyone that is not me.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@MollyBlue

Those Temptations really are like kitty crack, aren't they? I ran out of them about two weeks ago and got a new bag at the grocery store a few days ago. Soon as I gave a few of them to Bud, he was purring and rubbing up against me and meowing for more. He really loses his mind for the Surfer's Delight and Beef flavors.

@GrizzlySapien  

That's one thing I'm grateful for, if Bud was like your cat I'd kick him out of the bedroom for sure. I find the talking and chirping and trilling endearing, but it would drive me nuts if it was all night. Do you let your cat sleep with you?

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@GrizzlySapien  

That's one thing I'm grateful for, if Bud was like your cat I'd kick him out of the bedroom for sure. I find the talking and chirping and trilling endearing, but it would drive me nuts if it was all night. Do you let your cat sleep with you?
Yeap! 
 I got used to it after a while.. Now I can't sleep without him. 
 If I can hear him, I know he is fine. Same goes for my budgies. So, if they're fine, I'm in peace.. 

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Kittys meow sounds like a cross between a purr and a meow. PUrrMeow! She has a gentle tone. lol I havent heard another cat do this. My other cat Elsa just gives a big MEOWWW! I like to call her "chusma" since shes a street cat. Meaning low class. lol its just joking around as i like to say Kitty is a lady raised in a nice home. 

Last edited:

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the shelter I volunteer at, there's an American Curl named Ferrari who purrs like a sports car.

It's so cute...

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Macha meows like a little girl and Mia meows like boy

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe my puter again, it happens since this morning, sometimes it works but most of the time no.

Thanks Grizzly :-)

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries, @Macha 143  
 Maybe some aspect of your computer needs some updating? like Flash or something? I would look into updating my currently installed programs 

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe I need to update then?! LOL, thank you so much Grizzly :-)

Macha sometimes sounds like a real little girl, with sweet soft meow waking me up in the morning  LOL

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This is Cadbury's "for everything" meow. He does this as he walks around, for no reason, or to say hi, and when he wants something...really for anything. He does a shorter quieter one as he wakes up, and a LOUDER, more trilly one when he was wanting something and I ignored him too long, so he sounds desperate.

He does a quicker, more cut off one when he moves fast or jumps down:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

He also "mumbles" sometimes when he eats or grooms himself. If he isn't talking (or yelling)...he is purring!

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Cadbury's "for everything" meow. He does this as he walks around, for no reason, or to say hi, and when he wants something...really for anything. He does a shorter quieter one as he wakes up, and a LOUDER, more trilly one when he was wanting something and I ignored him too long, so he sounds desperate.

He does a quicker, more cut off one when he moves fast or jumps down:

He also "mumbles" sometimes when he eats or grooms himself. If he isn't talking (or yelling)...he is purring!
OK, so they don't only look alike.. They also sound alike.. Cadbury and Grizzly are not twins. They are clones 

Trust me.. I know the "desperate" sound you're talking about!!