What does your cat mean to you?

blanctot93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
               Animals have such a special talent of snuggling their way into our hearts and making people obsess over them. What is it about our animals that make us fall so deep in love with them? The animal-human bond can be incredibly strong, and there is a lot of information as to why. Animals have been in closely in our lives since the beginning of civilization.  People and cats can form such a strong bond, a bond that I honestly did not know existed before I got my cat. His name is Loki and he is a smart, loving, quirky, and talkative, nowhere close to being shy, Siamese. My cat is just short of everything to me, and I am not ashamed to say that. Loki means a lot to me, happiness, joy, peace, playfulness, and so much more. He waits for me by the door when I’m gone, and when I get home it’s like he has not seen me for years.

People can have such incredible bonds with their animals, and I truly have something special with Loki. He is five years old now, and I can still remember the day I got him. I was not looking for another cat at all and I simply tagged along with my brother whom was getting a cat for his daughter. Loki came out, and immediately ran straight up to me and practically made me pick him up. I knew from that moment he was mine, and he came home with me that day.

The funny thing is Loki had been given back to the shelter that I got him from, I was his second owner. It blows my mind that someone could give up such a little fur-ball of love. He loves everything, and anyone and in true cat form believes the world is here for him. (I mean it kind of is, my world anyways.) He loves to play, and loves to wake me up in the middle of the night to cuddle. Sometimes when I’m talking to him and he just stares at me I swear he understands me.

What does your cat mean to you? Is he a part of your family the way Loki is to me? Is your cat crazy and eccentric, or calm and loving? (Maybe he is a little bit of both, kind of like my boy.) I’d love to hear about the connection other people have with their cats.  

moneyox33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow Loki is really cute :0 ! Animal -human bond is really a great thing.  I find it easier interacting with animals than with humans.  They return love as long as you love them back.

This is my kitten -

When I got Tinkerbell she and  was the only kitten who came up to me. From that I knew I should take her home. I think cat choose us rather than we choose them =). Whenever I feel upset playing with her or just petting makes me feel relaxed. She  wants to play all the time though ! She taught me how to be more tolerant and loving. Actually at first I wanting a puppy but then I realized cats can be affectionate as a dog too ! I am so happy I got Tinkerbell. She makes me look up at good things in life !  I get depressed very easily so having her certainly made me happier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blanctot93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tinkerbell is beautiful!!! I think you are right when you say cats choose us, my mom had the same experience. I know exactly what you mean when you say Tinkerbell helps when you get upset, Loki does the same for me!! It's so nice to hear that Tinkerbell and you have a great bond..I think the animal-human bond you guys share is awesome!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are my babies. I couldn't love them more if I had given birth to them myself. 

Lilith ( AKA Lily Belle, Baby Lily, Little Belle) is the alpha in our house and rules the roost with an iron paw. She's a super picky eater and a diva to the core. She's also super loving and cuddly (to me). She knows when it's bedtime and waits for me in the bedroom doorway. She carries her big, fluffy tail behind her like a peacock does and struts around the house with her tail and head held high.  Here she is relaxing in one of her favorite sunny spots. I often call her the Ambassadress of Love and Friendship as a joke (she is to me but can be a bit of a bully to the other furkids). She's very petite at about 5 pounds. 5 pounds of pure sass. None of the other kids are exempt from her wrath but Sophie gets it less than Henry and the dog.  

Sophie ( AKA Sophiesaurus, Saurus, Baby Saurus, Kitten) Is Lily's sister and her second in command. She was the one I didn't go the shelter for but she and I connected there and I couldn't leave her behind. She has become my soul kitty. I adore them all but she and I have just a little bit more. She's got Lily's sass but she doesn't use it often. if Lily becomes too much, she will give it back which is why she doesn't get picked on as much. They often engage in wrestling matches and games of "chase me around the house and then I will chase you" but they have never hurt each other and I doubt they ever would. Sophie is also far less likely to bring out the claws. She wakes me every morning for breakfast and cuddles. I also call her my Fluffball of Love. Her coat is in what I call "full bloom" right now.  She's so fluffy that she looks overweight but in reality she's very small. She might be 6 pounds. She's no bully but she's also no pushover. She's very sweet and loving.  Here she is with her best "No- I didn't push your stuff off the kitchen table. The DOG did it" look. Believe it or not, this is about HALF bloom fur wise. 

Henry (AKA Brother, Buddy) is the newest member of the family and he's awesome. He's VERY laid back and sweet. He gets along with everyone and I have to give him all the credit in the world because he really takes a LOT from Princess Lily Belle but he does it with patience and grace. He has never once retaliated. I wonder if it's partly because he's so laid back and partly because she amuses him. He's easily twice her size and he is long, lean and very strong. he could easily ruin her day and cause a trip to the ER vet if he felt like it but he's gentle with her. She gives him the most sass at mealtimes. She (as alpha) expects first pick of the food dishes. Sophie knows to sit back and let her choose before she goes to eat. If he forgets and picks a dish before her, she will A) Hiss at him B) slap him or C) all 3  - he just pulls back from the dishes and gives her her way. it took 7 months in his safe room for him to really get acclimated but he sure did and he has become super sweet and affectionate. He's my little diplomat. Here he is chilling at the very top of the big cat tree. He adores his vertical space. Maybe some alone time away from the divas? 

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Great stories guys...

As for me...when my two beloved girls passed away I was so lost, so empty inside and heartbroken. I still love them so much  and missing them so much (they are here in my heart) My  first cats in my life, they thought me how to love a cat, delicate Siamese babies, sweet, affectionate, loving, protective of me, they trusted me so much, they gave me love, and they made me so happy. I still remember the best moments that we had, it's like only yesterday. Every time, I talk about them, I can't stop to cry, missing my babies so badly.

I went to visit the SPCA and this cute kitten meow and calling me, at first I was hesitant coz I don't want to betray or replace my girls. She kept meowing and the lady told me, she likes you already, so I petted her and she starts to purr and want me to pick her up and cuddle her, so I did. There's that good feelings for the first time, she's so sweet, cute and very comfortable in my arms so I adopted her. Now she's growing really fast  and she made me very happy. She gives me reason to live happy each day. I love her so much and she mean everything to me because if not her maybe I am not here today.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great stories guys...

As for me...when my two beloved girls passed away I was so lost, so empty inside and heartbroken. I still love them so much  and missing them so much (they are here in my heart) My  first cats in my life, they thought me how to love a cat, delicate Siamese babies, sweet, affectionate, loving, protective of me, they trusted me so much, they gave me love, and they made me so happy. I still remember the best moments that we had, it's like only yesterday. Every time, I talk about them, I can't stop to cry, missing my babies so badly.

I went to visit the SPCA and this cute kitten meow and calling me, at first I was hesitant coz I don't want to betray or replace my girls. She kept meowing and the lady told me, she likes you already, so I petted her and she starts to purr and want me to pick her up and cuddle her, so I did. There's that good feelings for the first time, she's so sweet, cute and very comfortable in my arms so I adopted her. Now she's growing really fast  and she made me very happy. She gives me reason to live happy each day. I love her so much and she mean everything to me because if not her maybe I am not here today.
I'm very sorry for your loss and happy that you have another kitty to love.  Your kitties that crossed the bridge still love you just as much as they always did and they always will. The bond you shared with them is unbreakable - even death can't touch it. Your cats, because they love you, would want you to be happy. They know how much love is in your heart for cats and they would want another cat to experience the love and friendship that they did for so long. If they could tell you anything, I'd bet it would be to first thank you for loving and caring for them and then they'd say that your new kitty is a lucky one. There would be no jealousy or hurt feelings. No one is sad when another cat finds it's way to a loving home- least of all a cat. 

Last edited:

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for kind words Kat121

I am sorry... I get emotional each time I talk about them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you very much for kind words Kat121

I am sorry... I get emotional each time I talk about them.
  That's totally normal. Everyone who has ever lost a beloved pet understands. You will see them again one day. I'm sure they guided your new little one to you. 

Miriette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here's Luke! I love both of my cats very much, but Luke is my absolute best friend. I picked him out of the 20 or so cats I saw at the shelter because he wouldn't stop rubbing himself against my legs, and I was the very first person he trusted when my boyfriend and I brought him home. He was hiding in the TV stand for 8 hours straight that first day, and I lied down next to him and he eventually came out and rubbed himself on me and allowed me to pick him up. He excitedly meows for me every morning when I wake up and sleeps with me when he gets the chance, and our usual routine every morning involves me sitting on the floor so he can climb in my lap and purr. He also loves to rub himself against the back of my head and try to groom me when I'm sitting on the couch haha. I don't know what I'd do without my little bread loaf.

Also I love this picture and it makes me a little sad that he'll be losing that cute fang (and the rest of his teeth) in two weeks. Thanks stomatitis!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not good with words but my two remaining cats mean the world to me. Muffin and Muffy are all I have left and I love them so so much. Muffin is 17 and Muffy is 16 years old. At one time I had 8 cats. After Muffin and Muffy are gone I won't be getting any more pets because of my health. I'm barely able to care for myself anymore. 

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Comet is my baby. He's my only companion in life. He's my world. I spoil him and he returns the favor by snuggling and loving me back. I can't imagine my life without him. Yesterday when he had a seizure I was hysterical, fearing I'd lose my lovey.

I love my baby.

colouris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Nova after I finally stood up to my emotional abusive mother. I wanted to create a sense of family I could depend on so I decided a cat was the way to go. I had actually applied to adopt a different kitten but she had already found a home. One day the rescue emailed me and told me they had a little tortie available. It was love at first sight. The foster parents said Nova was the shy quiet one but she came right up to me and fell asleep on my chest.

Nova has taught me that I'm good enough and that I'm worthy of love. There is nothing I love more than coming home and having her greet me at the door.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do my cats means to me? 

They mean I have a purpose. They mean I am loved, needed and wanted. They mean I have two wonderful companions. They mean I will never feel lonely or alone. They mean I will smile (at least once) each and every day. They mean I am capable of unconditional love. They are my life and they have (literally) given me life when they teamed up to frantically awaken me in the middle of the night when I was having symptoms of A-Fib. They mean the world to me and I am extremely fortunate that they love me as much as I love them!

View media item 308683

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
    My three cats Speewee,Oubie, and Omlette mean everything that could mean everything. They are the joy in my day, even though they drive me crazy sometimes, I am 62 years old and have had many precious cats. When I look at them my heart melts. I have scoliosis,osteoarthritis,and other health issues. My cats need me and give me a reason to get up and get moving. Obie can not wait to eat and cries to be fed and makes me hurry up. He is even more inpatient than my son. They are my other babies and I just could not be without them. I know how empty my life would be without them. They give so much love and affection. All they want in return is love, kindness,and a safe home. I love them more every day, no matter what chaos they may create. All cats are special and have something unique to give.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I earn my living with words, but I've tried to write this post a few times and words escape me. Bud means everything to me -- he really is my little Buddy, almost like a child or a little brother to me, and adopting him has changed me for the better.

Without getting into too much detail and embarrassing myself, I voluntarily checked myself into rehab a few years ago, and while I was the definition of a high functioning addict, the whole ordeal took a lot out of me. Of course depression factors into it, and one thing my therapist recommended was getting a cat. I've always wanted a cat, and the more we talked about it, the more it sounded like a better idea.

Caring for someone else and knowing you're responsible for another life does take you out of yourself, but of course it's not just a one-way thing -- now I know, without a doubt, that animals can return love. My family actually makes fun of me now, in a lighthearted way, because Bud and I are inseparable. He has made my life better, and for that I'm grateful. With almost anything in life, things lose their sheen, but with Bud I never get tired of him and every day I'm grateful to have him.

Admitting this as a guy isn't easy, so I'm gonna go ahead and press send before I try to delete what I just wrote. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The words didn't escape you - you escaped the words. But I am glad you came back and put them down for us to read. You have no need to be embarrassed for taking back the control of your life.

Having a cat does make a difference in your perspective of things. I know it has for me.  I was talking with a friend just last night about how my boys have changed me as a person given me a purpose I didn't know I had.

I was going through a rough time when my boys came into my life and, within weeks of having them, several people (friends, family and even co-workers) commented that I had 'changed'. Their observations made me look deeper into myself and I started noticing what they were seeing - I was calmer, happier, less withdrawn and, my daughter even told me that I was actually nice! Wow! I didn't even know that I wasn't any of those things! 

Yes, cats CAN and do return love. Unlike humans, they don't just utter the words, 'I love you'. They show you the words through their facial expressions and body language. With their various meows and purrs. And the best part is, cats don't know how to fake it! Their love is always genuine! 

Congratulations on your continued recovery! 
So, stand up, take a deep breath and shout, "YEAHHHHH!" - then go hug Bud! He's adorable!

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats mean companionship. They make my life worth living. I have tried to adopt as many cats I could.Trying to keep them safe from those who want to do them harm.
I could only keep eight. Wish I could take in more. Such good friends. I have a companionate group.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I could say that I've only bonded with my cat. I've bonded with all my pets I've had since I was 4 years old..

I never had sibblings (not sibblings with whom I lived and grew up with anyway), so my pets were my sibblings.. I've always had dogs and budgies.. I adored cats but with the dogs there wasn't enough room (I always lived in appartments). The only times I could have a cat would be when I rescued strays and kept them separate from the other pets (dogs + budgies), but that was for a little while, until I'd find them homes..

My first resident cat is Grizzly..

I bonded with him from a photo, taken by the girl who first found him and the rest of the litter and then I got a call to go there (for those who don't know, they found the whole litter crying over their dead mommy). At first they just needed me to make arrangements for fostering.. But, I had already seen Grizzly in a photo.. and I couldn't just foster him.. I had to have him.. And he immediately climbed on me..

I saved his life that day. He saved my life 2 months ago. Now he's sleeping on my lap and I can feel his heartbeat on my leg. I often put my ear on his heart, just to hear it beating while he sleeps.

I currently have Grizzly and 2 budgies, Conan + Stevie.. They all wake me up (in their own ways) every morning and my first "Goodmorning" goes to them. They are my first and my last concern each day.

I perceive my bond with them, more important than any other relationship I have with humans.. Every human I've met has betrayed me, one way or another. These 3 little guys (and my previous pets) are the only ones who have seen my true colors and accept me unconditionally. They gave light in my life, when there was only darkness and I've gone (and will go again, if I have to) above and beyond for them..

They are my family..   Stevie  Grizzly
**PS: Grizzly farted the whole way through my writing of this post.. While he was sleeping.. Such an oxymoron.. I was pouring my heart out and he totally ruined it! LOL

Last edited:

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  DearMoneyox,

I have to say that Tinkerbell is one of the most darling kittens I have ever seen. I never had a long haired cat,is she a Persian or simply the most beautiful long hair? I am sure she is very loving and you are so lucky to have her. Enjoy every moment of Tinkerbell, and post some more pictures of her. She is  going to have a wonderful life with someone as giving and caring as you.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GrizzlySapien  
   Grizzly
**PS: Grizzly farted the whole way through my writing of this post.. While he was sleeping.. Such an oxymoron.. I was pouring my heart out and he totally ruined it! LOL
That was just his heartbeat pounding against you!