What does it mean when a tumor is bleeding?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to ask the vet when I can speak with her, it didn't cross my mind at the time to ask.

My cat was diagnosed with bladder cancer, has a tumor on his bladder. Thankfully not in a place where it can cause a blockage. He started peeing blood daily about a month ago. This wasn't happening before with his issues (he has had peeing issues since the end of 2019). When I looked it up, everything I read said it was common with treatment to see blood in the urine. Does this mean that it could have already been shrinking prior to starting his treatment? He only had one dose so far, getting his second today. This is meant to shrink it.

Prior to his bleeding, I was giving him a daily vitamin for cats. I am wondering if maybe that could have been helping his body do something. I was giving it to him because he wasn't eating much at the time, I wanted to make sure he was still getting vitamins and minerals. So maybe between the lack of food (hardly eating) and the vitamin, something was happening there. I don't know.

EDIT: the supplement I was giving him daily was Spectrin (For Cats)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Spectrin is the vitamin but he is receiving some sort of anti tumor medication from your vet? If that is the case, definitely call the vet and report what is happening with the bleeding and ask if that is normal. If I am misunderstanding your post and he is not receiving any medications, call the vet anyway as bleeding always has to be investigated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spectrin is the vitamin but he is receiving some sort of anti tumor medication from your vet? If that is the case, definitely call the vet and report what is happening with the bleeding and ask if that is normal. If I am misunderstanding your post and he is not receiving any medications, call the vet anyway as bleeding always has to be investigated.
Yeah, he is on Piroxicam every other day. The bleeding is coming from the tumor, the vet confirmed this. I was just shocked to only find information about them bleeding during treatment which is meant to be an indication they are shrinking. So I am thinking him not eating much, sometimes skipping a few days, might have been causing it to shrink prior to his diagnosis and the vitamin might have been helping as well. I have not been able to talk to her, very busy but I will ask about it on his next appointment which is next week.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I probably have average knowledge of Piroxicam which means I am by no means an expert but I do have some concerns that your cat is not eating when he is taking this. Bringing that up to the vet would be a good idea and if your appointment is later in the week possibly a call to update her might be in order.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I probably have average knowledge of Piroxicam which means I am by no means an expert but I do have some concerns that your cat is not eating when he is taking this. Bringing that up to the vet would be a good idea and if your appointment is later in the week possibly a call to update her might be in order.
He is eating, just not a lot. She said it is to be expected at first because it can cause nausea. So long as he is eating something, even smaller amounts, and urinating, she said she has no concerns. He will be getting tested again next week to make sure the medication is not causing any harm.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe hematuria (blood in urine) is a primary symptom of bladder cancer.
I don't think that it would only coincide with tumor reduction.
Feline Bladder Cancer Symptoms (vetinfo.com)

I do empathize with your kitty boy.
When talking with your vet, ask if you should watch for any symptoms that might indicate a urinary blockage from clots.

Last edited:

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe hematuria (blood in urine) is a primary symptom of bladder cancer.
I don't think that it would only coincide with tumor reduction.
Feline Bladder Cancer Symptoms (vetinfo.com)

I do empathize with your kitty boy.
When talking with your vet, ask if you should watch for any symptoms that might indicate a urinary blockage from clots.
The location of the tumor is not going to block his urethra which is good but I will mention clotting. That is something I didn't think to ask.