What Do You Use For Flea Prevention/treatment?

BrattyBratBrat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I would just like some ideas of what everybody uses for fleas whether a homemade or homeopathic or commercial product. I had used Frontline for many successful years on my pets when it suddenly stopped working (this was about 3 or so years ago). We switched our dog to Nexguard at the time with good results. Our old pets passed on and we haven't had pets for a couple years. Now we have 2 cats again and even though we don't have fleas, we have several friends and family that ALWAYS have fleas and even though I avoid their homes, I feel like it is inevitable that we will get exposed to them. We are currently on Frontline even though I am skeptical that it will protect our cats.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently using Advantage II with good results, but my cat is indoor only as well, so the exposure is just from any "hitchhikers" that may come in on pants legs and such.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use anything... he's indoor only and we never used flea treatments on any cats growing up. They were always fine...

I might if I decide to take him on walks?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I flea comb at least once a week. I don’t treat for fleas every month. My cats are indoor only and I make sure I comb frequently as I work with animals everyday that may or may not have fleas. If an infestation happens I typically use a capstar pill (if I feel it’s bad enough) then next day put on advantage II. I treat for three months. Wash all bedding and vacuum frequently. That typically gets rid of the issue. I haven’t had fleas in idek how long tbh.

Iamelloyello

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use revolution on my kitten Leo. It doesn't kill on contact but it kills when the flea bites. He had fleas once and after revolution was applied the fleas were dead and gone in a day

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indoor cats so occasional use of Revolution. I don't feel like its necessary to put chemicals on them every month since theyre indoor only.

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Used Frontline with success years ago but when I adopted two kittens that turned out to be flea infested (cats are indoor only so no issues prior) it did not work at all. I switched the cats to Advantage II and that works for them. Once the pup came, Frontline did nothing for her either. They must have changed something is all I can figure since I live in the same area where it had been working. Advantage II works on the pup but she is still growing so it is not effective for the full 30 days.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Bolfo Gold or Frontline in the summer and spring, (Bolfo Gold stinks though, won't be buying again) and skip in the winter months. Elf goes on walks outside, but the one time she had fleas was when she was indoor only. Better safe than sorry.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor-only, but since I'm around animals all the time at work, I use flea prevention for my cats to avoid bringing home any pests.

Maisie and Cullen have Seresto collars; I like the collars because they're convenient and economical. Zephyr is allergic to Seresto, though, so he gets Advantage II. I'm planning to start Toad on Advantage II Kitten until she is full grown, then she'll get a Seresto collar.

Fleas in my area have become resistant to Frontline/fipronil, so my vet does not recommend that one anymore.