What Do I Look For In Litter?

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey!
This is basically another version of this thread, except about cat litter.
What should I look for in cat litter? I know I want clumping litter that is ideally unscented, but still deals with waste odors well. The main priority is that the future cat likes it, though! However, I figure there are certain kinds of litters that are better for you and your cat than others (I've heard clay is bad for you.) So, what should I look for in litter? What brands would you recommend?
Thanks!

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aloha and welcome to TCS...are you in the states? I have never heard that clay is bad for you...however I just watched a video on another site the other day and clumping clay worked the best as far as absorbancy...I use Scoop Away Complete I buy it at Costco cuz it is cheap and it's a 42 pound bag...you cannot tell I have two cats...unless you get right up on litter box when it needs to be cleaned...what I like is one you clean it out it moves whatever makes it smell good around and deodorizes...out of all the cat litter out there this is the one I prefer

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a good article:
How To Choose The Right Cat Litter

It's really a matter of opinion. Here's my opinions-

I do not like clay litter- it's dusty, unnatural and smells (Even the general smell of clean litter I do not like). One of my cats used to eat litter and last thing I wanted him to eat was clay litter. The only pro of clay is that it does clump tightly.

I use non-medicated chicken crumbles sold at farm feed stores (50lb bag for $15 and lasts me over 3 months with 2 cats and one box). It's the same as World's Best Cat Litter- it's all crushed corn and all-natural. very little dust and odorless (Except for the corn smell when you first open the bag). It clumps well and is flushable. If a cat eats it, I am not worried. If you decide to try chicken crumbles- make sure it's non-medicated.

Here's a few more articles on litterbox and care to help you along too
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make

How To Minimize Litterbox Odor

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey!
This is basically another version of this thread, except about cat litter.
What should I look for in cat litter? I know I want clumping litter that is ideally unscented, but still deals with waste odors well. The main priority is that the future cat likes it, though! However, I figure there are certain kinds of litters that are better for you and your cat than others (I've heard clay is bad for you.) So, what should I look for in litter? What brands would you recommend?
Thanks!
As far as the clay litter issue, I don't think you should dismiss it if it meets your needs. I can't tell you how many times I've read on this, and other sites that clay litters are bad - for you, for cats, for the environment, etc. And yet, not once, have I seen an explanation as to why. Not saying there may not be issues, but everything I've read to date has been anecdotal.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like Draco Draco , I'm not keen on clay litters, but my girl has other ideas :rolleyes: I use a very fine, clumping, low dust (sold as 99% dust free) litter, and my girl just loves it. It works well for me too, and it does clump tighter and hold together better than the natural, wood based clumping litter I trialled. I've been wary of the grain based litters, because I've heard there have been instances where they've gone mouldy in the box :cringe: Having said that, I know loads of people love them and have no issues at all.

So long as the box is kept clean and your cat is happy with your litter choice, you're all set. If you're torn between brands/types, why not get small bags of your front runners and let your cat decide which he likes best? After all, he has to be happy with it too ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fresh Step clumping unscented seems to be well-liked among many cats and owners. It has a fine, sand-like texture and is unscented so the kitty doesn't get annoyed, but also has carbon for odor control so the owner is happy too :D. They have it at the Sam's Club I go to but I'm sure you can get it at Walmart or other big box store too.

But, yeah, mostly it's trial-and-error. Get small containers of a few different kinds and see what you and kitty like best.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Research first. Have a competent chemist explain the properties of sodium bentonite to you. Then, once you've ruled out clumping litters forever, buy the least expensive plain clay litter you can find.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like unscented Fresh Step. I felt betrayed when they started making product line with the power of febreeze. If your product works, it does not need perfumes. Fragrances and colors are for people, not pets. But they just put out a new unscented one a few months ago I have not had the chance to try...because my boyfriend took control of my litter decision making...and I want to throttle him.
Tommy had surgery and while he was healing we started using paper litter for a month. It's Equisicat paper from Petsmart and bf swears he loves it because it doesn't track around the house as well. No- I just happen to walk through the effected area and get one of those stupid chunky pellets embedded in my foot and kick it off before it wears it's way into the bed sheets.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No matter how noble our intentions to provide our cats with 'the best' of everything, sometimes we have to just make do with what our cats deem acceptable to them after a bit of trial and error. :wink:

We use clumping litter because one of our cats has a history of urinary tract problems, and the clumps help us keep tabs on his urine output. But since hopefully that won't be an issue for you, you'll have the flexibility to try lots of different options, and see which your cat likes best.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been looking for a new litter as well and as far as the chicken crumbles go, do they actually clump? I had been using corn litter from arm&hammer but the smell was not really being controlled with one cat, let alone two now. So I switched to a fresh step clay litter which actually works very well and I'm pleased with it buttttt the dust is triggering my allergies pretty horribly. I want to go back to corn but I want it to be effective as well.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the first question is...how old is the cat/kitten you are getting?
If it's under 12 weeks, then you need a non-clumping litter. I use clay because it is cheap and I dump it every day. However, mine turned 12 weeks today, so as soon as I use up the clay I have, I will be switching to Arm & Hammer Naturals. This is the clumping litter I used for years on the older cats and you wouldn't have known I had any cats. (I don't dump this, just clean the box 2x's daily)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: to kashmir64's comment on the age of your future cat!

We personally use clumping clay litter. Noodles didn't even accept a change between the regular and lightweight version; so we stick with what we have been using.

One other thing to consider is diet. A good diet can mean a less smelly litter box. For example; if Noodles gets into a fish flavor of food I've given Mooch, I will know all about it from a whole different room. Normally; you can't smell anything unless you are scooping it out (and they are dealing with other health issues where quantity has become priority over quality :ohwell:).

Good luck with all your decisions for your future cat! :)

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love Fresh Step. Great odor control and clumps really well.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a Tractor Supply Company store, they have a scented and unscented version of clumping litter called Paws & Claws. It's $10 for a 40 pound box. I can't use chicken crumbles, because I know for a fact Demi would eat it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to be aware of if using corn based litter is that rodents find it delicious so if you have ever had a mouse or rat in your home DO NOT use this kind of litter. my cat was 19 at the time and didn't see or care who was in her litterbox but based on the amount of mouse poop showing up, I was feeding dozens of mice in her box.