What color of Tabby is this cat ?

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm curious about the color of this tabby cat. This is the only pic I have of her and I wish it was a better picture, but any help is appreciated 😊

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her color is brown (black-based) tabby. I can't see her pattern clearly in this picture, but from the width of the visible stripe on her body, I would guess that her pattern might be classic tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks for the response. I thought she was a grey tabby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok thanks for the response. I thought she was a grey tabby.
Its easy to think so. But if the dark places ARE black, it will be called for brown. Also, frequently there will be brownish or reddish shimmer in places.

While, if the dark places are clearly grey, it will be called for blue (ie grey).

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh okay so blue tabbies have grey not black stripes then . Her head looks lighter than other brown tabbies I've seen . That's why I was asking . She has a light grey /silver colored face so I was confused !

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's the mom to my new kitten . We thought maybe he was a black smoke but guess he can't be if his mom is a brown tabby correct?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, your kitten could theoretically be black smoke in color, if his dad was either smoke or silver. The smoke/silver gene (known as "inhibitor") is dominant.

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought that the male kittens got their color from only their mom?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that the male kittens got their color from only their mom?
That is only true for the orange gene (sex-linked red / ginger). Most of the color genes in the cat are inherited equally from both parents.

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok thanks I didn't know that . I'm learning a lot from this site!

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey had one more question for you guys .
My kitten has a silver undercoat all over except for his tail . Does this most likey indicate that he will shed this kitten coat and turn solid black all over ?
Just curious his coat is strange.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten has a silver undercoat all over except for his tail . Does this most likey indicate that he will shed this kitten coat and turn solid black all over ?
Just curious his coat is strange.
You will just have to wait and see how your kitten's coat develops. I know you are very curious about your kitten, and that's understandable... but from the pictures you have posted, at this point it's hard to say whether his coat will lighten or darken. Enjoy watching him develop :)

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You will just have to wait and see how your kitten's coat develops. I know you are very curious about your kitten, and that's understandable... but from the pictures you have posted, at this point it's hard to say whether his coat will lighten or darken. Enjoy watching him develop :)
Thanks for your response! yes we are curious what he will look like as an adult . He will be pretty either way . I love solid black and black smoke cats. Love all cats 😻