What color is this? I'm stumped!

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had Snuggles about 3 years now. Her name was Nubz when I got her.

I was told that she had been born without the back feet. The person I got her from said she was at the Humane Society looking at dogs and heard the kitten was going to be euthanized. Ya know, concerns about quality of life. Well, I can tell you, she has terrific quality of life! She jumps into my lap just fine as well as getting around without a bit of trouble. Okay, slick floors a little bit, just a little bit.

Back to the topic, color. My vet decided on Agouti. Not the rodent, the color. lol

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, all tabbies are agouti, technically! I believe the patternless agouti is called "ticked tabby" in cats.

I wonder if she's a purebred Abyssianian, dumped at the shelter due to the disability. Ticked tabby is fairly uncommon in the general cat population. But still possible of course.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How are tabbies agouti? I don't think I've ever heard of the color, agouti. The one pic I looked at, of an agouti, had no stripes. I'm always up for learning something new!

Abyssianian had crossed my mind, but I figured that wasn't possible. A breeder, just in it for the money could dump a kitten, that's very true.

I just think she is stunning.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How are tabbies agouti? I don't think I've ever heard of the color, agouti. The one pic I looked at, of an agouti, had no stripes. I'm always up for learning something new!
Abyssianian had crossed my mind, but I figured that wasn't possible. A breeder, just in it for the money could dump a kitten, that's very true.
I just think she is stunning.
Because Agouti is actually the gene that causes banding on each hair shaft. If you look at her hairs you will see stripes of color on each individual hair, and you would see this even on a tabby with a stiping pattern. In many animals agouti looks like your kitty, just ticked (think cottontail rabbit) but in cats, it can also have a striping pattern we call tabby. Tabbies can be striped (mackeral), swirled (classic), spotted, or like your sweetheart....ticked.

She is beautiful. I would guess she is just Domestic Shorthair and not an Aby. I've seen a few ticked tabby DSH. It's uncommon but not impossible. I love them!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Maybe @GoldyCat   can comment on whether or not she looks like an Abyssinian. If you want to learn more about tabbies and the agouti pattern, this article has some answers -

[article="22334"]Tabby Cats​[/article]  

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi KSKatt, the difference between Ticked Tabby and Agouti is :- Ticked Tabby > Tabby markings on legs, tail and neck. Agouti > Non-striped Tabby.
Snuggles is a Ticked Tabby ;)

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually, agouti is another word for tabby (used mostly among breeders), where non-agouti is solid (or non-tabby if you wish). For gene explanation, we use A for a tabby cat (agouti), and a for non-agouti. If you have a cat AA, she is tabby, aa is non tabby, Aa is tabby but non-tabby carrier. You have a beautiful Brown Ticked Tabby ^^ 

Last edited:

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I knew asking here would get me answers! Some very smart people here!

Norachan, Sadie looks ornery and chicken looks regal. She beautiful girls.

When I first brought Snugs home, I just felt Nubz didn't fit, I saw a Snuggles. The crazy part is that she wasn't snuggly at all. She would let me pet her, but not pick her up. It took a long time, and she still isn't comfortable being picked up, but she will jump (yes jump) into my lap and turn my tummy into well kneaded dough. It's better for me if I'm wearing thick clothes.
She will lay on my lap kneading away and purring up a storm. Need to keep my camera closer so I can get a video.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe @GoldyCat
  can comment on whether or not she looks like an Abyssinian. If you want to learn more about tabbies and the agouti pattern, this article has some answers -

[article="22334"]​[/article] 
The color, ticked pattern on the body, and the dark stripe down the back and tail do look very much like an aby. However, the body type and the head/ears do not fit the breed, and a pure aby would not have stripes on the legs. Here's a picture of my abyssinian for comparison.

kskatt kskatt it's possible that your kitty has abyssinian somewhere in her background, but ticked tabbies can also occur in the random population. Wherever she got it, her coloring is not something you see every day.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GoldyCat, thank you for the pic and info! I knew she couldn't actually be an Abyssinian, there are too many physical  differences. I couldn't be that lucky!  I can dream. It would be interesting to know the genetics, whether it really is random or a throwback from an Abby way back in the gene pool. Our mixed breeds are just that, kinda like we are. 

It is a good way to describe the color, if the person I'm talking to has seen an Abyssinian.

I just love her, color included! I like to tell her she's special; her lack of back paws or color, either one!