What color is Marble?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I asked this before on a different thread, but only got one guessed answer. Would Marble be considered a brown tabby? or something else, like a very tarnished silver? His back looks like a silver, but his cheeks, legs, and underbelly are more tan. I'm also having a hard time getting photos to show his color right, photos look more brown in my house lighting :ohwell:, he looks more grey/silver in natural light. But anyway here are some photos, what do you think? I can try to take more if it will help, and he is only just under 5 months, so still growing.

20191211_175751.jpg 20191230_201811.jpg 20200103_135337[1].jpg 20200101_165042.jpg

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's hard to tell since there is so much difference from one picture to the next on my screen.

Silver is actually a pattern, not a specific color. Are the roots of the dark hairs white when you lift the fur? If so, that is silver. If the hairs are dark all the way to the roots, no silver.

Brown is genetically black (don't ask me why somebody decided to call it brown:rolleyes:). Brown mackerel tabbies can vary a lot from a cold (more black/gray) to a warm color. The lighter color between the black stripes tends to look more brown/reddish.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What a cutie! I would say brown classic tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell since there is so much difference from one picture to the next on my screen.

Silver is actually a pattern, not a specific color. Are the roots of the dark hairs white when you lift the fur? If so, that is silver. If the hairs are dark all the way to the roots, no silver.

Brown is genetically black (don't ask me why somebody decided to call it brown:rolleyes:). Brown mackerel tabbies can vary a lot from a cold (more black/gray) to a warm color. The lighter color between the black stripes tends to look more brown/reddish.
Ah, ok that makes a bit more sense, and explains why I was confused, I was thinking of silver as a color. I guess that would also explain why the camera picks up up on the brown more. So I guess he is just a brown tabby in grayish tan shades. The roots of his fur are either black or tan depending on where you look on him. He also looks more like a classic tabby to me then a mackerel (more swirl on his sides then stripes ;) ).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What an adorable little guy and quite the clown too. :)
I think he is adorable too 😊, though at the moment he is the most calm one of the 5, mostly sleeping and growing (getting to be a big muscular boy). His siblings are crazy though, and he definitely joins in, my husband keeps joking they are giving me grey hairs :crazy:. I have to keep reminding myself they are kittens and will grow up and behave like civilized creatures one day... right? :flail: