What breed is my cat

abzbobbytariq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I'm new here and I've always wondered what breed my cat is because he always receives attention lol. Is he a normal tabby domestic cat or is he mixed breed? He's a large cat with long fur, I'll attach few pictures below,
Thank you I really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am SO sorry you haven't gotten any replies before now.  Your cat is really gorgeous but I don't know enough about the different breeds to guess what he might have in his background.   Anyway, hopefully someone will stop by soon who can answer your question.  it usually doesn't take this long to get a response but somehow your post fell through the cracks.  Anyway, he truly is a very beautiful boy.  What's his name?  

BTW:  Welcome to TCS!  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think he has a persian ancestry.  Granddad as most far away, but probably a parent.   Say a persian momma with a tabby moggie, whom was also a carrier of the longhair gene.  You say he is largish?   So the other parent could be a Maine Coon, or someone very look alike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abzbobbytariq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha thank you yeah he is beautiful :) His name is Cat lol

abzbobbytariq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks for replying! I originally thought he'd have Maine Coon or Norwegian forest cat descent but I guess I'll have to check with the vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi thanks for replying! I originally thought he'd have Maine Coon or Norwegian forest cat descent but I guess I'll have to check with the vet.
As said, if he is largish I do believe he has a Maine Coon, parent or grandparent.  But he must surely have a near persian ancestry to get that face.   It could be British, but unless you live in England or such a country where the british are common,  persian is most probably.  Both for the nose and flat face, and as a source of the long hair gene.

Both parents must have given him the longhair gene.  So both parents were either longhaired, or at least carriers fo that gene.

Maine coon are very often tabbies, so it explains nicely why a persian descendant become a tabby.

Last edited:

abzbobbytariq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah he is very large and long. Definitely bigger and heavier than most cats. Wow yeah I actually do see a bit of persian in his face. Thank you so much