What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the great info so far! I can't wait to see what she looks like when her coat is adult length.

The person I got her from was advertising her as a Maine Coon, but I see absolutely zero resemblance to a MC on her anywhere lol.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She might just stay that color take lots of pics of her over the months and years please

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Don't worry about the orange!  Whether she is Brown Mackerel Torbie & White  or Black Silver Mackerel Torbie & White,  either way she will keep the red (orange) as she grows up.   

(BTW, the combination of tortoiseshell color and a tabby pattern seen in both the red and black patches , is called different names in different cat associations.    In some European associations it is called Tortoiseshell Tabby or Tortie-Tabby.   TICA's name for it is "Torbie"  which is obviously a contraction of Tortoiseshell Tabby.    In CFA it's called Patched Tabby. 

Yes ,  I second tabbymommy -- we want to see lots of pictures of her as she grows up! 

I agree with you,  I don't see any resemblance to a Maine Coon.   No clue where they got that idea.  She's not even a longhair.      It can be hard to tell with kittens, but the tail  would almost certainly be fluffier / plumed.   She would be classified as "Domestic Shorthair" which just means a shorthair cat of no particular breed  or unknown ancestry. ( Definitely does not mean less wonderful! )

She is a very striking kitten.  It's interesting that the arrangement of the red and black on her face is more symmetrical than usual,  while on the body it is less so.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was wondering if my little kitty, Stark, resembles any particular breed? Would be good to know, if any. He's a handsome little boy!

Thanks!
Very interesting colour! The black parts of him look like Black Smoke. lf you part his fur on his black part, is it black all the way to his skin, or is it white underneath?

nfalcon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just rescued this cat from a horrible owner. The owner said she is pure 100% ragdoll, but with the price he was giving it was impossible. Anyway, she looked like she was such in bad shape that I had to take her home and straight to the vet. The vet said she was malnourished because she was recently pregnant and the owner wasn't giving her the right nutrients. I know she is not a ragdoll, but what is she? I believe she is a semi long hair and has signs of a birman. Will she get her full coat back after getting nourished back to good health? I need your help guys! 

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also would like to know what color pattern she is :)[/font]

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She does have a pointed color pattern and she should get her healthy coat back after she gets the right nutreance. She is defnot a ragdoll but could be a ragdoll mix

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... Birmans are stocky sorts of cats, pointed, with white feet; so it's not entirely impossible that she could have some Birman in there somewhere. She wouldn't be a good example of the breed--way too much white, for one thing; with Birmans you only get white feet--but we knew that she wasn't going to be a perfect example of any given breed anyway. There are a good many breeds with long fur, pointed coats, and round bodies.

Her color is seal point and white.

Poor baby; pregnant and starved, maybe even repeatedly pregnant. That can really take a toll on a cat. Looks like she landed on her feet with you. We're looking forward to seeing photos of her as she fattens up and gets her energy back!

I wonder if the person was actually trying to use her to breed from and sell the kittens. That would have been truly unethical, since she is not even identifiable as a purebred cat, and from her condition she wasn't in any shape to be having kittens to begin with. But quite a few unethical breeders will force a cat to have litter after litter, sell the kittens, and then dump the queen when she's just worn out. I don't know if that was her case or if she was just left to roam unspayed, but either way, there was some abuse going on there.

Anyhow, keep posting pics! It's always great to see a rescue cat recover her health. :)

nfalcon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well... Birmans are stocky sorts of cats, pointed, with white feet; so it's not entirely impossible that she could have some Birman in there somewhere. She wouldn't be a good example of the breed--way too much white, for one thing; with Birmans you only get white feet--but we knew that she wasn't going to be a perfect example of any given breed anyway. There are a good many breeds with long fur, pointed coats, and round bodies.

Her color is seal point and white.

Poor baby; pregnant and starved, maybe even repeatedly pregnant. That can really take a toll on a cat. Looks like she landed on her feet with you. We're looking forward to seeing photos of her as she fattens up and gets her energy back!

I wonder if the person was actually trying to use her to breed from and sell the kittens. That would have been truly unethical, since she is not even identifiable as a purebred cat, and from her condition she wasn't in any shape to be having kittens to begin with. But quite a few unethical breeders will force a cat to have litter after litter, sell the kittens, and then dump the queen when she's just worn out. I don't know if that was her case or if she was just left to roam unspayed, but either way, there was some abuse going on there.

Anyhow, keep posting pics! It's always great to see a rescue cat recover her health.
Thanks so much for your inputs! So in terms of what she is mostly, do I go back to leaning towards ragdoll or is she all over the place? The owner actually claimed that he bought her from a pet shop but given he is the son of satan, i don't think i can trust that fully. The pictures i first saw of her actually made me think she was ragdoll? I guess her major flaws as a ragdoll is her head, which is rounder and her nose is i believe a roman nose

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If one of Vampy's parents is a Persian, then she would of course be a Persian mix.

I think her coloring is really very interesting. It looks almost as though she ought to be a tortoiseshell, except that the patches that would be red are white instead.

The cat (Vampy) is a black tortie smoke. Nothing odd there.

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting colour! The black parts of him look like Black Smoke. lf you part his fur on his black part, is it black all the way to his skin, or is it white underneath?
Yeah, that's a black smoke bicolour.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say she is all over the place with ragdoll characteristics I do think she might have some but not much in her
I just rescued this cat from a horrible owner. The owner said she is pure 100% ragdoll, but with the price he was giving it was impossible. Anyway, she looked like she was such in bad shape that I had to take her home and straight to the vet. The vet said she was malnourished because she was recently pregnant and the owner wasn't giving her the right nutrients. I know she is not a ragdoll, but what is she? I believe she is a semi long hair and has signs of a birman. Will she get her full coat back after getting nourished back to good health? I need your help guys! 

Also would like to know what color pattern she is :)

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for your inputs! So in terms of what she is mostly, do I go back to leaning towards ragdoll or is she all over the place? The owner actually claimed that he bought her from a pet shop but given he is the son of satan, i don't think i can trust that fully. The pictures i first saw of her actually made me think she was ragdoll? I guess her major flaws as a ragdoll is her head, which is rounder and her nose is i believe a roman nose
She looks a little bit like a snow shoe with her colouring or even an old style siamese with her head- I do think she is probably a mix and this is clearly a BYB situation. I am not sure where you live but here it is very rare to see pure bred cats in a pet store so I would find that suspicious. Also if she was really a pure bred he would have papers for her.  I am so glad you saved her! I would call your local animal welfare agency and report him ASAP because I am sure she is not the only animal he is abusing. 

sphan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is an interesting colour isn't he! :) he's a but charcoal-ish brown too in some lights. I had a look at his skin, it's a bit hard to tell as he has a layer of white fur underneath but his skin is not white, it looks as though its a grey colour. Though his belly is white/pink?

I had a quick look at Black Smoke, some kind of resemble Stark..

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is an interesting colour isn't he!
he's a but charcoal-ish brown too in some lights. I had a look at his skin, it's a bit hard to tell as he has a layer of white fur underneath but his skin is not white, it looks as though its a grey colour. Though his belly is white/pink?

I had a quick look at Black Smoke, some kind of resemble Stark..
He's gorgeous. My cat in my avatar is black smoke, so when he sheds, l get covered in white hair!

When he gets bigger, and his hair longer, it will look more like white undercoat than dove grey.

He's a lovely boy 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She looks a little bit like a snow shoe with her colouring or even an old style siamese with her head- I do think she is probably a mix and this is clearly a BYB situation. I am not sure where you live but here it is very rare to see pure bred cats in a pet store so I would find that suspicious. Also if she was really a pure bred he would have papers for her.  I am so glad you saved her! I would call your local animal welfare agency and report him ASAP because I am sure she is not the only animal he is abusing. 
I see a bit of old style Siamese there also.  Something about the head shape.  

She's a mix for sure, who knows what for sure.  However, she's going to be gorgeous when she gains some weight and her coat looks better.  I love her markings.  Thank you for rescuing her!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Well she definitely doesn't look like a breed standard Ragdoll.   But   it's conceivable she could be a Ragdoll mix ,  maybe even half Ragdoll  from generations of cats that weren't bred to any standard.    hard to say what could be mixed in.    maybe some Birman.    Most likely is probably  pointed & white long haired moggy (Domestic Longhair ,  in other words no particular breed) .  Could even be a little bit of Himi.    

I myself have Old Style Siamese ( show them as Thai in TICA) and I'm not really seeing traits  that would suggest the likelihood of  any recent Siamese ancestry.   Her head looks even less like a typical genuine OSS than it looks like a typical Ragdoll.   This girl's head is muh more rounded , muzzle shorter and more blunt,  and looks like body may be cobbier, although that is hard to see in these photos. 

Of course, there are a lot of cats with a large amount of Western / Northern ancestry who are passed off as "Siamese"  so people have a great variation in idea of what that looks like.  ( and of course there IS some variation even within the genuine ones .    

I was going to say  she looks like she may have a nose stop and that would not be typical of OSS either.  You said she has  a Roman nose ;  there are different types of that and i doubt she has a long one like many modern Siamese  and Orientals, , but a cat can have both a break, and then a convex curve on the nose.    

That is typical of the Birman.

but that sort of nose is also seen in moggies,  

Anyway,  you'll never know her ancestry for sure,  but I'm just glad that this poor baby is out of a bad situation    and now the rest of her life can be much better than it's probably been so far.     It IS true that even with good care,  a queen often is thin by the time of weaning expecially if she had a large litter.  but she should not be 

Her color/ pattern as Callista said is Seal Point and White.   In Ragdoll terminology , Seal Point Mitted.   (I dont think she has enough white that they would call her Bicolor) .

and yes ,  nutrition certainly affects the coat.  so as she recovers,  later this year she will probably get in a much nicer coat. 

Status
Not open for further replies.