What breed does Frankie most resemble?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chocolate kittens in the picture are definitely British Shorthairs, although they are pet quality. If you look at the photographer's entire portfolio, you will see a lot of pictures that she took of that litter of kittens.

Havana Browns look totally different, they have a foreign body style, a much flatter coat, and an unusual head type that is different from all other breeds.

I breed and show Chartreux. In the 1990s I also had some Maine Coons, but my main breed has always been Chartreux.
Wow, amazing you do that! I love maine coones and the chartreux looks beautiful. Did they start in Chartreux? , I am guessing yes. I didn’t think MC were pointed but I was surprised to find out that some Siberians are. I guess someone decided to breed them with other cats that are. I have to go back and find that link and look at the kittens again of course now that I got to the one pic with the kittens I can see they look like British shorthair too. I don’t know which photo I was looking at now LOL because I have some on my iPad too. Yeah Havana is totally different than British shorthair.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black cats can go through phases where they look very brownish like that... it is normal. If you look at the whole thread I linked, you will see more discussion, and a picture of Luna in an earlier stage when she looked much more solid black. This is the same cat!

View attachment 334170
Wow, amazing transformation! My wizard was just totally black from the day I took him in from outside but he did look kind of brownish here and there in the sunlight especially as he got older. But not pointed at all I mean it was really like you look at him and you say that’s a black cat for sure , like she looks here. He did have one little white spot on his chest though. Here is a bw of him , can’t find the color version now and here are the kittens I was looking at, what so you think they are?
EBEFEACD-4E95-440B-B82D-F6C050D27024.jpeg
AD75CDCD-3F7B-471D-9DE3-31C8E90AFD9B.jpeg

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those kittens look like Havana Browns. Were they also on a web site described as York Chocolates, like the British Shorthair kittens on PetGuide?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi everyone, just saw this thread since I'm tagged in it. I'm Luna's mom.

Luna is indeed a black cat. She originally was listed as smoke black, but when we eventually picked her up several weeks later, the breeder said she thought she would wind up being solid black. Sire was smoke, dam solid black. However, by the time we got around to registering her, she clearly looked smoke, not solid so that's what is on her papers.

Luna was *mostly* smoke looking between 3 months to about 6 months old. This is her a week or so after we got her, she's just about 16 weeks old here. Not a great shot, but you can see how gray in tone she is.

luna smoke example 3 months.jpg

And this one, also from about the same time, maybe a week or so later with her dad. I love this one because they are "twinning" in color LOL

luna smoke example 2 dad.jpg

Next, another example a month or so later next to her Tortie sister so you can really see how different in color she is when shown with a cat that is more brownish

luna smoke example 5 cocoa.jpg

She remained this coloring until she hit about 6 months when the brown coloring started coming out. This coincided with her fur also becoming longer, her mane and britches filling in. Examples are posted above by lutece lutece and here are a couple more

luna 10.jpg

luna wut.jpg

In the last couple of months, she seems to be losing some of that brown tone as she's approaching 1 years old. Part of it may be that she now allows us to groom her (this was a HUGE problem for a long time) and due to that, perhaps her kitten coat is being pulled out more effectively (I believe Lutece mentioned this may happen). These pix are in the last month or 2. In person she is looking way more black now although when the light hits her a certain way you can still see the brown coloring in her along with ghost tabby markings.

She still has grayish fur on her belly, between her toes, her mane and britches and her undercoat is gray too.

luna desk.jpg

luna judge.jpg

luna example recent 1.jpg

luna for fb.jpg

luna books.jpg

Finally - have you all had enough yet? LOL Here is Luna yesterday. We had a nice grooming session so she is looking pretty put together here other than the dust all over her face from rolling around the kitchen floor!

FYI - I've joined a couple of Maine Coon FB groups and I have been astonished how many black cats have this brown coloring to them; either naturally or when viewed in certain light. But black cats they are!

luna example now.jpg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Same, what a gorgeous MC and really cool to see how different she has looked in just a year!
Watching her evolve has been quite interesting for us also. Never mind she's our first kitten, let alone purebreed but the black cat aspect of it also is new to us too. I now pay close attention to other black cats and am very intrigued by them!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, here's another thread on TCS that shows some good pictures of black cats with brownish looking fur, so you can see some more examples of how black cats can look. Brownish looking fur is a pretty common phenomenon in black cats.
[/URL]
Here are two pictures of sivyaleah sivyaleah 's black Maine Coon, Luna, from the above thread:
View attachment 334054
View attachment 334055
I have a black cat and he never looks brown. He can look reddish in the sun especially when he is getting ready to blow his coat but never brown

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those kittens look like Havana Browns. Were they also on a web site described as York Chocolates, like the British Shorthair kittens on PetGuide?
I think I searched brown cats images and they popped up, then when you said that aboit the kittens at that site they popped into my head maybe. I thought they were havana. So not all cat infor on breeds out there is wrong. I was reading a page about the Chantilly cats and they also started out from domestic cats and are now no longer breeding.. Very interesting. I looked up the chartreux found no one knows how they started in France but they do come from chartreuse and that the monks bred them. But original origins it stated are from the middle east.