What Are Your Favorite Cfa Or Tica Unrecognized Breeds?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm curious: what are some breeds that aren't currently recognized in CFA or TICA that you wish were?

For me, it would be the Arabian Mau. I just think they're such a beautiful natural breed! From what I've read, they have great "purrsonalities" too! WCF recognized them back in 2008, and they're also recognized by the Emirates Feline Federation.

What about you guys? What are some of your favorite breeds that are currently unrecognized in one or more of the major registries?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
abyeb abyeb - I can't shed any light - I can only speculate, and speculating that it's political, and reducing the value of the Siberian breed overall by permitting the Siamese crosses responsible for the pointing and blue eyes simply as a way to bring more people to the shows would just be accurate wrong.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, aside of blue bengals, that are not still recognized in the standard, I think Bengalnese cats are quite beautiful and well temperas, though certainly very talkative. They look quite similar to @mama africa Missy.
I've been wondering ever since I was joking with Joe how would be a Bengal X Maine Coon. You know I am all for Big cats, especially Maine Coons, but have my heart settled on bengals... Seeing pictures of long haired ALC simply makes It look feasible
There are some interesting Bengal outcrosses going on in the USA, focusing on replicating panthers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
There are some interesting Bengal outcrosses going on in the USA, focusing on replicating panthers.
I know of a few Bengal outcrosses: Serengeti (Bengal x Oriental Shorthair) and Toyger (Bengal x striped DSH). Both are TICA registered, but not CFA. Although certainly with the introduction of the Bengal into CFA, that opens the doors for Bengal offshoot breeds as well. Then there's also the Cheetoh cat (Bengal x Ocicat), which isn't TICA or CFA recognized. Do you know of any others?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know of a few Bengal outcrosses: Serengeti (Bengal x Oriental Shorthair) and Toyger (Bengal x striped DSH). Both are TICA registered, but not CFA. Although certainly with the introduction of the Bengal into CFA, that opens the doors for Bengal offshoot breeds as well. Then there's also the Cheetoh cat (Bengal x Ocicat), which isn't TICA or CFA recognized. Do you know of any others?
Toygers are cool, aren't them?
I found about the replicating of panthers, I think they want to call them Pantherette Cat, using bengals and black cats of other breeds (if I have to guess, I would go for black cats from strong built bodies, broad noses and a good nose bridge). I read also about a couple more, but don't remember names, because they haven't even tried to achieve recognition yet, they are all working on their programs.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would love to see more breeding for temperament rather than appearance. John Bradshaw makes a very good point in “Cat Sense”: if the most responsible owners of mongrel cats—the owners most likely to have friendly cats which are not inclined to wander and become feral—are mostly sterilizing their pets, and breeders are generally line-breeding for appearance over temperament, housecats as a whole are quickly being selectively bred to be less and less adapted to life with people and other cats. Not sure what you think, but it’s an interesting perspective!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Auntie, is that a Ragdoll or Birman on your avatar pic?

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to see Japanese cats that are not bobtails recognized as a separate breed!

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
10009891 10009891
She’s an old-style Balinese.
Her behavior is amazing but she suffers badly from an autoimmune disease that is frequent in Siamese-based breeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m bumping up my old thread and adding another breed I have recently been learning more about- the German Longhair. I especially like the work that Kati Griesbach has done: introducing the karpati pattern to the breed.