What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading a book called "Homer's Odyssey" by Gwen Cooper.

It's about her adopting a blind black cat as a few week old kitten and the obstacles they overcame in life together.

Edit: Apparently if I just looked above a few posts, I could have quoted!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By far, the biggest selling book in the world at this time is "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. The author of The Davinci Code which stayed at the top of the best seller list for three years. This book will surpass that I predict. The little town I live in with only one library now has over 300 reservations on this book. I could not take the wait, got it from amazon.com and finished in two days. If you have read the Da Vinci Code (and with over 100 million copies sold, who has not), go ahead and buy this book. It will startle you and change your view of the world for sure. And as a bonus you will actually find out what is going to happen on December 21, 2012.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Barbarians to Angels" by Peter S. Wells. The books takes a look at the the Dark Ages in an attempt to dispell the long held belief that Europe plunged into a "dark" period after the decline of the Roman Empire.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've just finished Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and Jack London's "Call of the Wild". I'm between starting the latter's "White Fang" and Emily Brönte's "Wuthering Heights" tomorrow.

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm hooked on Nora Roberts In Death series where she writes as JD Robb. I finally bought the whole series, and now I started with the first book so I can read them in order!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SIL gave me this to read. I can say in all honesty I have never read more than 20 pages of a novel that I did not finish. I am 100 pages into this book but this one is really going to be hard to finish. I have never read anything so depressing. I am talking about the world famous book by Isabella Allende. I can only hope this story ends with Paula coming out of her coma. If you have read this book let me know but please do NOT divulge the ending.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've just finished Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and Jack London's "Call of the Wild". I'm between starting the latter's "White Fang" and Emily Brönte's "Wuthering Heights" tomorrow.
Wuthering Heights is a great piece of literature but be prepared for some very depressing parts of the book. It seems that almost every great book or movie is based on depression. The exception that comes to mind is Don Quijote.

But enjoy, it is a great book.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Wuthering Heights is a great piece of literature but be prepared for some very depressing parts of the book. It seems that almost every great book or movie is based on depression. The exception that comes to mind is Don Quijote.

Interestingly, Wuthering heights remains to this day as the worst book I have ever read. I even read it again, in case it was the "forced-to-read-it-in-highschool" dislike, and nope - still awful to me. Also, was very hard for me to read as I found it very slow, and would start daydreaming more than reading and realize that I didnt recall anything from the last 10 or so pages, so I kept having to re-read parts : have never found another book that I get so distracted from so easily....guess just not my thing!
Just finished reading Stephen Kings newest, Under the Dome, and while a decent read, was a little disappointed - it doesnt need to be over 1000 pages and seemed quite anticlimactic to me. Good characters though. Going to start reading the tommyknockers now, because a good friend bought me the hardcover for my birthday woo hoo

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm reading "We Were Soldier Once... And Young". I watched the movie on TV a few weeks ago and realized I had never read the book. I have the same Alma Mater as Hal Moore and I actually met him once while I was in school. He seemed like a really amazing guy, so I wanted to read the book.

The only problem I have with it is that it's good. I'll start reading on it in bed before I go to sleep and end up staying awake an hour later than I meant to.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I've read it three or four times, but not for about a decade. I think I'm going to save it till Christmas. Right now I'm rereading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Now that's depressing!

I've read some other stuff instead of WH: White Fang (Jack London) and Far from the Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy). I've also read a couple of true crime books the past three weeks: But I Trusted You, Bitter Harvest (both by Ann Rule), Are You There Alone? The Unspeakable Crime of Andrea Yates (Suzanne O'Malley), By Their Father's Hand (Monte Francis) and Cannibal (Lois Jones).

I've downloaded The Yearling, by Marjorie Rawlings, which I haven't read since I was a kid, plus biographies of King Alfred the Great and Mary Queen of Scots. I'm hoping to get a lot of reading done over the holidays.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am reading Society of S by Susan Hubbard. I don't think I've ever read a book where the writing was this bad. It wouldn't bother me if the story is good though, so I'm hoping it turns out interesting. I think the bad writing may be so bad because the protagonist is a 13 year old so maybe it's supposed to mimic a 13 year old's writing.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm re-reading for the zillionth time The Diary of Anne Frank.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cant' remember my last post on this, so I will name a few that I have read over the past month or so. I read The Historian, which was good except for the end, but i didn't get a lot of reading time, so think I will re-read it again when I can read more in one sitting. I then finished Talking with SErial Killers, which was very hard going. Now I am on holiday, so reading the hardbacks that have been sat there for ages, cos i hate carrying them round!! Read a Tess Gerritsen book this weekend, The Mephisto Club - first of hers I have read, and was impressed, when I ever get through the rest of my books, I will get some more of hers. Just reading Jeffrey Deavers Garden of Beasts, and then a Lee Child book.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished Society of S last night. I read almost all of it in one sitting and I ended up enjoying it. Now I am starting Peony in Love by Lisa See. Has anyone read it? I don't have high expectations, in fact I can't wait to finish it so I can buy more ebooks by Kelly Armstrong
I decided to finish as much as I can from my to be read pile before I buy more, which is why I'm starting Peony in love

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. It's a book about dogs and their relationship with humans and how we distort them. I used to read novels but now it's dog and cat books....scary....

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently reading World Without End - Ken Follet (about half way through). I'm waiting on a reserve for Catching Fire and I got a Patricia Cornwell book for Christmas which is third on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.