What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive been rereading my Nora Roberts books slowly but surely and just recently finished Key of Light and Key of Knowledge in the Key Trilogy. Im starting Key of Valor now. I dont know what Ill move onto next but hopefully I find some good deals on the few that missing in duos or trilogies so I can get some new books!

**Comparing Twilight to Harry Potter personally Harry Potter wins hands down IMO..I just couldnt get into the Twilight books or movies at all but I could read Harry Potter over and over again and watch all the movies!**

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm reading about Hypothesis testing in Statistics, currently. Thrilling.
Oh god, I hate hypothesis testing. Are you doing stuff like the null hypothesis?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Oh god, I hate hypothesis testing. Are you doing stuff like the null hypothesis?
Yup - null and alternative.

I cannot wait until Friday when my Trimester is over until March.

I'm going to then read The Pillars of the Earth!! Have you read this Kellye?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I always got confused with the null and alternative hypothesis. That always tripped me up in the exams. Thank goodness that is all over!

I haven't heard of the Pillars of the Earth.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I always got confused with the null and alternative hypothesis. That always tripped me up in the exams. Thank goodness that is all over!

I haven't heard of the Pillars of the Earth.
Lucky -- I never did stats in college so it's all a big learning step for me. This exam isn't until Wednesday. Phew!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pillars_of_the_Earth

That's a wiki link. That book and the sequel are both over 1,000 pages but apparently they're really great - so I'm going to give them a go.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am currently reading "Sheryl Gascoine-stronger-surviving Gazza", what a fantastic book, the poor woman went through hell and torture with that man and it is so brave of her to tell her story, it has moved me to tears, I would recommend it to anyone.x

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am reading Talking with Serial Killers atm, I haven't heard of all the serial killers in the book though. Very hard going, but that could be cos things are so hectic.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm currently reading the latest in the Outlander series (An Echo In The Bone) by Diana Gabaldon. It is unlikely that I'll be able to read it all in 10 days which is all the library will give us for a new book so I decided to order my own copy from Chapters this morning and figure while I was at it, I would also order The Bishop's Man by Lyndon McIntyre who won the Giller award last night in Toronto. I've listened to his interview and it sounds like a good book.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm currently reading the latest in the Outlander series (An Echo In The Bone) by Diana Gabaldon. It is unlikely that I'll be able to read it all in 10 days which is all the library will give us for a new book so I decided to order my own copy from Chapters this morning and figure while I was at it, I would also order The Bishop's Man by Lyndon McIntyre who won the Giller award last night in Toronto. I've listened to his interview and it sounds like a good book.
How is An Echo In The Bone?? For some reason I felt like the outlander series started to get more and more boring after Voyager...I absolutely loved the first one (Outlander) though...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

How is An Echo In The Bone?? For some reason I felt like the outlander series started to get more and more boring after Voyager...I absolutely loved the first one (Outlander) though...
I agree with you. I found the last 2 a trifle long and it took me longer than usual to get through them, but I persevered and am glad I did. I'm finding this one to be better. I'm only on page 149 of 814 but so far it is really holding my attention. It goes between 1776 and 1980 at this point - Bree and Roger and the kids came back through the stones because Amanda needed modern day surgery to survive and after her medical treatment they moved to Scotland and bought Lallybroch which of course was Jamie's ancestral home. They have found a box with letters and Jamies wee snake and the paper is the same paper that Brianna made herself 200 years previously.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I agree with you. I found the last 2 a trifle long and it took me longer than usual to get through them, but I persevered and am glad I did. I'm finding this one to be better. I'm only on page 149 of 814 but so far it is really holding my attention. It goes between 1776 and 1980 at this point - Bree and Roger and the kids came back through the stones because Amanda needed modern day surgery to survive and after her medical treatment they moved to Scotland and bought Lallybroch which of course was Jamie's ancestral home. They have found a box with letters and Jamies wee snake and the paper is the same paper that Brianna made herself 200 years previously.
That sounds interesting, I will give it a try...Although I'm not sure I ever liked Diana Gabaldon's style of writing- it was always the storylines that kept me so interested. She gets a bit too detailed, sometimes unnecessarily and I get annoyed at how she has this teasing tendency
She makes me skip 100 pages to see the outcomes of things and then go back and read when I've calmed down a bit.. I almost died at the beginning of Voyager, I think I skipped like 400 pages then because I couldn't stand reading how Claire moved on and had Brianna with her husband..I'm so impatient and I take these stories too seriously
But I think she takes the teasing a bit too far, almost to the point of torturing the reader...

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shelby Foote's Civil War: A Narrative: I'm about 1/4 way through the first of the three volume set. After that, I want to reread US Grant's autobiography.
I tend to stick to one subject for a while, then move onto something completely different.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm supposed to be reading my "Cuban Revolution Reader" for a class right now but instead I'm reading Kelley Armstrong's Broken

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

Shelby Foote's Civil War: A Narrative: I'm about 1/4 way through the first of the three volume set. After that, I want to reread US Grant's autobiography.
I tend to stick to one subject for a while, then move onto something completely different.
Awesome set of books. No one wrote about the Civil War as well as Shelby Foote.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Homers Odyssey by: Gwen Cooper. It is about a single woman who gets her third cat and how he changes her perspective on life. He is blind from 2 weeks of age. It is a really good read. Very fast! She goes from living in Miami to living in NY. She tells of how having these three cats has shown her that she needs to take responsibility for her life and be able to support her "family". She was in NY for the sept 11 attacks and she tells how her and the cats got through that time. She finds a human companion to love and tells about how dating with 3 cats can be a challenge at times. It is interesting to see the guy she eventually ends up with and how he feels about the cats. It is just a good read!

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

Anyways, I'm currently reading both CELL by Stephen King, and re-reading Tuesday's With Morrie.
A fantastic book if I may add, by Mitch Albom and I think everyone on this forum should read it at least once.
I love Tuesdays With Morrie. It is one of my favorite books.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Did you know there is a second book? It actually takes place 200 years down the road but it follows the decendants of the first book.

I'm reading Shell Seekers.

Status
Not open for further replies.