What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between my daughter and I, we have three Kindles. Mine is a Generation 3, so it's pretty old. I got it about four years ago, and it was dated then. She got two for Christmas, one from me and one from her father. He got her one similar to mine. Also Generation 3, but her's is white and mine is black. I got her a Paperwhite, so it's backlit. That one gets used the most. It stays here and the one her father got her stays at his place. So I use it a lot. It's better for night reading. And she's got books on it that aren't on mine.

And on that note, I'm currently reading Ender in Exile. So far, it's pretty good. Not as riveting as Ender's Game, but not bad.

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm reading The Three by Sarah Lotz. From what my coworker told me, things are about to really get weird from the spot where I'm at now. Can't wait!

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not read Ender's Shadow yet. I was waiting for my daughter to finish it. However, she is far from done, so I am going to read it next. I just finished Exile. I didn't care for it as much, but I found the afterword amusing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Finished Written in My Own Heart's Blood last night. I loved it. I cried through some of it and laughed through other parts. Such a good book, such a good series. I would love to be able to see it on Starz.

On my Nook:

Death at the Door - Carolyn Hart (anybody else reading her Death on Demand series? The books are not bad.)

Sharp Shooter - Nadia Gordon

I only have two books from the library right now because I'm first on the list for 3 books that I have on Hold. I want to make sure I can get them and still stay within my 5 book total.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am reading a genuine paper book right now. Sten by Alan Cole and Chris Bunch. Both my Nooks are being charged right now, so I went to my old-fashioned collection for a book to read.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I JUST finished SMASHED. STORY OF A DRUNKEN GIRLHOOD and immediately started MOTHER MOTHER. Both books are by Koren Zailckas.
I am reading Mother, Mother. When I started it, first I thought I wasn't going to be able to read it and put it down for over a week. But last night I went back to it, and now I can't put it down at all. I probably won't read the memoir though.

As for the kindle, e-reader discussion..not for me. I will stick with books. I have a friend who spent hours getting my ancient kindle reprogrammed, updated, and loaded with books. Every now and then she asks me if I am ready for more books on my kindle. I never asked her to do it, (she's retired and I suspect was looking for a project anyway) and I just kind of smile and shake my head and say not yet, thanks. When there are no books and I am desperate for reading material I will turn to kindle. As it is, my eyes are on a screen all day at work.. I'll tick to books thanks.

And before you tell me to just try it, I did. I picked it up and tried several times to read from the kindle, including one which was a book I also had in book copy. I loved the book, but not the kindle. I read it in book form. :)

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was a die hard "no e-readers,books only " person but due to an already crowded apartment and the Nook being a gift from my bff, I don't think I will ever go back to the paperback. I WILL admit though, it's not the same :)

I'm now almost done with Zailckas Fury book. I read SMASHED because the Nook suggested it based upon me reading Mackenzie Phillips HIGH ON ARRIVAL so then I got looped into a drug memoir spiral. Earlier in the year I was in a "gang" spiral thanks to the Nook but interesting reading all around.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am reading Mother, Mother. When I started it, first I thought I wasn't going to be able to read it and put it down for over a week. But last night I went back to it, and now I can't put it down at all. I probably won't read the memoir though.

As for the kindle, e-reader discussion..not for me. I will stick with books. I have a friend who spent hours getting my ancient kindle reprogrammed, updated, and loaded with books. Every now and then she asks me if I am ready for more books on my kindle. I never asked her to do it, (she's retired and I suspect was looking for a project anyway) and I just kind of smile and shake my head and say not yet, thanks. When there are no books and I am desperate for reading material I will turn to kindle. As it is, my eyes are on a screen all day at work.. I'll tick to books thanks.

And before you tell me to just try it, I did. I picked it up and tried several times to read from the kindle, including one which was a book I also had in book copy. I loved the book, but not the kindle. I read it in book form.
I can understand your feelings. There is nothing like the smell, feel and sound of a real paper book. And real paper books have certain advantages.

1. No batteries to run down and leave you with a half-way read book.

2. You can read anywhere there is even a little light.

3. Strong light doesn't wash the pages out.

4. If you drop it in the tub while relaxing and reading, it doesn't short out. Just use a hair dryer and almost as good as new.

5. If you lose it you are not out hundreds of dollars to replace it.

6. It doesn't keep track of your credit or debit card number.

That said, I still love my Nooks. But when the electricity went out for 6 days after an ice storm, I still had my conventional library to choose books from.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found another author that I'm completely smitten with!   I saw a book review in my local paper for a book called "The Target".  I'd never heard of the author but the book is an FBI thriller which I just love.

I got the book only to find out that it was the 3rd in a series.  I always like to start at the beginning of a series, even though I don't think you need to in this case.  So now I have all 3 books and am starting with the first one called:

The Innocent by David Baldacci

His book reminds me of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series.  A government assassin who finds himself a target by his own government.  It's very well written and I have been gripped from the first paragraph.

The next will be "The Hit"  and then finally "The Target".

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
He's good.....I've read several of Baldacci's novels. I like him.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Has anybody else read The Book Thief?
Yes, several years ago, and I really enjoyed it.

I've been reading so much lately that I've lost track, but some of the books were Killer, by Jonathan Kellerman, The Golden Egg, by Donna Leon, Bones of the Lost, by Kathy Reichs, Buried Secrets: A True Story of Serial Murder, by Edward Humes, Innocence Lost, by Carlton Stowers, The Whole Cat and Caboodle, by Sofie Ryan, all eight "Leigh Koslow Mysteries" by Edie Claire, and Daddy's Girl: The Campbell Murder Case, by Clifford Irving.

I've been downloading a lot of free or sale-priced e-books in anticipation of summer vacation.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Above The East China Sea by Sarah Bird. This novel is amazing. I can't get it out of my mind. Recently published (in May), and I inhaled it. Two girls - one an army brat, a teenager, whose mother is stationed on Okinawa, in present times, and the other, a teenage Okinawan girl during the Battle of Okinawa in WWII. How Sarah Bird merges these two girls' stories is wonderful. Her imagination and gift for story-telling is breath-taking.

I found it more compelling and more memorable than The Goldfinch, which I found dense and ponderous and bloated.

I highly recommend Above The East China Sea!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi folks!  Is there a new reading thread?  Or did everyone stop reading?

FYI, I just got a Kobo Aura e-reader for Christmas and have downloaded 32 free books so far.  Don't know any of the authors, but I'm game! 

Read one already:  St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre: A Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery  - yes it was a light fluffy mystery read, (a novella, actually) but I LOVE my e-reader.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rubysmama, thank you for bringing this thread back up. I was looking for it the other day.

I'm reading a little of everything right now. Just finished Revival by Stephen King. It was OK, but just OK....not overly impressed with it.

Linda, I read some James Rollins, too. I like him, but he can be wordy sometimes. Haven't read the Sanguines series yet; I should look it up. Thanks. I read some of the Sigma Force novels.

Just finished Murder Simply Brewed by Vanessa Chapman. (Murder in the Amish Village, which is a collection of stores in the Amish section of Indiana.) Wasn't bad. A little whodunit.

Just finished One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost. Her last book in the Night Huntress series is Up From the Grave. Still have to read that one.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prior to starting James Rollins' books, I read the latest Kathy Reichs book, and the final book in the House of Night series by PC Cast.

I'm losing interest in Kathy Reichs books.  While the stories are different, it still seems all the same, and she is sooooo wordy; taking pages and pages to describe a single thing, for example what a bone looks like, or what a knife wound looks like. I find myself skimming through her books. Not a good sign.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
While I am a Kathy Reichs fan, I agree with you on the wordiness....I have a tendency to skip through much of it, too. 

I read most of the House of Night series; my GF from Connecticut gave me everything she had and I devoured them. But I think there are a few books out now that I haven't read. I should probably see where I left off and look for some new ones.

Has anybody ever read the Pendergast series by Lincoln Childs and Douglas Preston? It starts out with Relic (which was also a movie, BTW) and it's a good series. I think there are 15 books total. I recommend the series, if you've not read the books yet.  

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As mentioned, I am currently reading the freebie books I downloaded from Bookbub.   I read very slowly, so even borrowing books from the library may not work for me.  Though... I think reading may be faster on a e-reader than a book.   Is that possible.

Anyway, my favourite series ever was:  https://www.goodreads.com/series/40421-daughters-of-england

Written by Phillipa Carr, who also went by Victoria Holt.   The series starts in 1523 and continues to the 1940s (WWII).  The main character in each book is a daughter from the previous book and is historical without being all about the history.

Status
Not open for further replies.