What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our local library has a book club.  I try to go as often as I can.  This month they're wathing Alex Cross, the movie that came out in 2012.  I don't know, there's a whole lot of reviews that say the movie stank.  

I go though for the company 

Cheryl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I really wish we had some kind of a book club around here. They do at the library, but there's nothing at night and I work during the day. My GF is a member of two different book clubs, so she's always recommending neat books for me to read. She's retired, though, and she lives in Texas, so that doesn't help me out much. 

I need to retire, so I can take advantage of some of these things going on!

I heard that about the movie, too, Cheryl. We haven't rented it yet.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Oh, no. What happened to your Nook? Did I miss a post or something?
I posted the other day.....the charging port in the Nook bit the dust. I took it into B & N in town and they tried 3 different chargers; that's when they determined it was the port itself. I had to call them and, since it was no longer under warranty (I've had it now for about 4 years), the most they could do was have me send the Tablet back and they would sell me a pre-owned Tablet for about $100, give or take. Or I could buy a pre-owned GlowTouch or HD or whatever and the price would be based on what I bought. They also wanted me to send it back with the card in it! And I said, no way that I had bought that card myself, it wasn't part of the Nook.

Well, Terry, I wasn't going there. Pre-owned is exactly that and who knows what trouble I might have. So I bought a new 9-inch HD+ Nook. I ordered it on Saturday and my husband just texted me to tell me that the Nook was delivered at the house today. I did some research and it turns out that bad charging ports are common with the older Nooks and with the older Kindles, too (my BIL went through this with his Kindle earlier). The good news is that the HD+ has 32 GB, so that combined with my 32 GB card, will give me 64 GB, more than enough room for any book collections. 

I was frustrated that it happened, though, because I really took care of my Nook. I was always careful how it was charging, always on a flat surface, always careful to stick the charger in correctly, always careful to not remove the charger from my computer until it told me I could eject it safely. And here it is....it died anyway. I think it has been happening slowly for a while because I was having trouble with it on the computer.....the computer kept telling me that was a problem and Windows wanted to scan the Nook. I wouldn't allow it, though, because I was too wary of Windows messing around with it.

So anyway, new Nook is at home now and I will be Nook-less no longer. 

But I can't erase and de-regulate the old Nook because it's dead. I don't know what to do with it, other than take it to our next recycling event. It's a shame.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am happy to hear you are no longer Nookless. Since I have a First Edition and a Color, if one of them goes bad, I have the other one. Both of them were pre-owned, but since they were gifts from my brother, I guess I can't complain too much. (Well, I could, but nobody would listen)

My First Edition will no longer hold the SD card in place, so I am limited to about a thousand books on it. 
That means the other 8,000 or so have to stay on my computer and be switched out when I want to read one of them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really wish we had some kind of a book club around here.
Why not start your own book club?  Some girls at work started one a few years ago and they get together on a monthly basis to talk about the book they've all read.  The meetings take place at each others homes.

You can invite family, friends or co-workers to join.

To select a book, the person whose turn it is to entertain gets to select a few choice books, and then everyone votes. The majority rules.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
There are few people who I know around here who truly love to read. My sister, who is a vice-principal of a local middle school, thinks reading for pleasure is an absolute waste of time and she makes fun of me every time she finds me with my nose in a book (or Nook, as the case may be). Co-workers read nothing but fluff. (Don't get me wrong; I love fluff, too, but not all the time.) Believe me, I've tried. It won't work. There's a woman in another department who's thinking of trying to form book club here at work.....if she can get it rolling, I'll join. But I know she's having trouble trying to get members.

Terry, I wouldn't mind pre-owned, if I knew where it came from. My brother, my sister, a cousin, a friend. But not knowing where it came from or how it was treated, well, sometimes it could be trouble and I didn't want to go there. (Not that a new one couldn't be trouble, too.) One of my co-workers has a Kindle that was given to him by his grandfather. It's got tons and tons of books in that thing and they're all fairly new books. He loves it. (So would I!)

You know, Rick did say last night, that now that I have the new one, I should get a pre-owned one for a cheaper price. And then keep it, just in case I have trouble down the line. But I just don't have the money to do that.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my Nooks were bought on ebay, I believe. My brother seems to have good luck buying electronic stuff on there for me. I think he paid about $44.00  for the Nook Color. I have a N2A card in it that makes it a tablet, but I can still boot into Nook mode for reading.

I am currently reading Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh. She writes good Science Fiction.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You know, Rick did say last night, that now that I have the new one, I should get a pre-owned one for a cheaper price. And then keep it, just in case I have trouble down the line. But I just don't have the money to do that.
I have a Kobo. A couple years ago I had difficulty getting my Kobo to recharge. Kobo sent me a refurbished one to replace it. When I emailed them asking how to return the broken one, they sent me ANOTHER refurbished one.  I hung onto the 2nd one for a year, and forgot to return the broken one. Never heard from them about returning either.  So last year I gave my brother's wife the 2nd Kobo with a caveat!  That if mine ever broke, that I wanted that one back!!  LOL  I was kidding of course.   

I still love real physical books, but I love my Kobo for the convenience of being able to cart around dozens of books with me.  Which was great to have recently when I decided that I just couldn't read another word of that Alex Cross novel and needed to start a different book. I had another book with me and it didn't take up any additional space in my purse!

Anyway, to put the thread back on topic, I've started Book 8 of the Jason Bourne series.  I took a bit of a breather because the stories were starting to blur together.  So far it's pretty good. Just a couple chapters into it so far.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm old fashioned

I'm still reading paper backs. Just started The Samurai' s Daughter by Leslry Downer.
Not a very auspicious start but I suppose I must give it more than 4 pages.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since my last post a week ago I have finished Divergent AND Insurgent, and just started Allegiant! lol!!!! They are so good. 
I am curious: what did you think of Allegiant?

Oh, I forgot to say what I am reading. Thanks to the Literature Map thingy, I started a new, easy reading supernatural/mystery series. The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, Dead Witch Walking. I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far, so good. I hope it picks up a little in the next few pages. No murder victims yet, so I imagine it will pick up once that happens...

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have almost the whole Hollows series and I really like those books. Some of them are better than others, but overall,it's not a bad series. Please let me know what you think of it, Happybird.

On my Nook:

The Bone Thief - Jefferson Bass (I'm reading them as they become available from my elibrary, so I'm not reading them in order....I probably should)

Last to Die  - Tess Gerritsen (part of the Rizzoli and Isles series)

The Last Victim - Karen Robards (I think I've already read it, but not sure)

I have Divergent on my Holds list at the elibrary.

That Literature Map is way cool. 

Oh! And for the Outlander fans, the new one comes out June 10! Written in My Own Heart's Blood. Can you tell how much I love this series? 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check out today's Free Friday book. It is the first of a new series and looks interesting.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Got it, Terry. Somebody else had mentioned it to me, too. I wish I could remember about Free-Nook Fridays. I always forget about them and I think some of those books might be pretty good.

I also got Divergent from the e-library this afternoon.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That Literature Map is way cool. 
I love that!  Someone posted the link here a long time ago, and I've since reshared it. It's a great way to find new authors in a genre that you enjoy reading.

I also find that I find some good books by following this thread and checking out what others are reading.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I think I posted it originally. That one and the link to Stop You're Killing Me. I had found them both on another board and thought they were awesome. They need to be shared and shared often. I follow this thread a lot for new to me books. I always hate to see the thread disappear to the second page and will do something to try to bring it back! It's a great thread.

I post on a food board and their What Are You Reading thread is now well over 50 pages long! We keep it going, though, because as new people join, they're always interested in all the books and the reviews and stuff. What people are reading is fascinating because there's simply so much out there.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ok, I can't even finish this book. it's AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to google the ending and delete it and the rest of the Alex Cross books from my eReader.  It's been torcher!!!!
We watched the Alex Cross movie at our bookclub.  It was ok- but I really don't think I'm ever going to read any of Patterson's books.  Too violent.  And then someone in my club said that yes- in the first book he has a wife who is pregnant and is killed, because halfway through the movie the madman who he's trying to get kills his wife.  I liked the grandma though .

Cheryl

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And I took the first book in the Midwife series by Jennifer Worth out of the library.  So far it follows season 1 of Call the Midwife.  I didn't know she died in 2011 and that was the motivation to make a BBC series out of her memoirs. 

Cheryl

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We watched the Alex Cross movie at our bookclub.  It was ok- but I really don't think I'm ever going to read any of Patterson's books.  Too violent.  And then someone in my club said that yes- in the first book he has a wife who is pregnant and is killed, because halfway through the movie the madman who he's trying to get kills his wife.  I liked the grandma though .

Cheryl
I enjoy the Women's Murder Club books.

I also tried watching the Alex Cross movie, and just couldn't get into it. I don't even think I managed to watch 20 minutes of it.  The writing was bad. The story was bad. The acting was bad.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I took the first book in the Midwife series by Jennifer Worth out of the library.  So far it follows season 1 of Call the Midwife.  I didn't know she died in 2011 and that was the motivation to make a BBC series out of her memoirs. 
Cheryl
All three books are wonderful. And after reading them, greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the BBC television drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.