Wetter Canned Food

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats like all styles of canned, but I’m looking for pate ideas. They like the soft smooth wetter pates....for example Nutro soft loaf kitten is a huge favourite. Some of the pates we try are quite dry and I need to add water. From your experience what is a less solid, more wet pate? They LOVE Performatrin Ultra stew but it gives one of them horribly smelly soft poop so I guess that one will be out. I’m bummed because my previous cat did amazing on that food.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's wrong with adding water? I do that to all my pates. In my opinion, it just means you're getting more out of your money! The nice and dense pates have more calories.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that adding water helps. I found the wettest pates I have are Dr Elsey’s canned. Caru is also a finely minced stew, I call it kitty gruel.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There’s Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse. But that never agreed with my Krista. Mousse went in and mousse came out. We call the episode The Moussening. We tried it as a topper but it came out as topper too. I don’t think the xanthum gum agreed with her.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The wettest one I know of is Halo's Salmon Pate. It is still their favorite even if they only get it once or twice a month and it's almost like a pudding texture.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheba pate is also pretty soggy... our cats don't like it, though!

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Natural Balance Ocean Fish is a pretty wet pate. My senior ate a LOT of it this morning (about 1 oz, which for her is a lottt) , I'd never seen her eat so much before. Definitely think she liked the texture! Will be looking for more like this for her. :)

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always add water for all of my boys. Neji actually turns his nose up at it if I don't. It's always a good idea, because cats don't typically drink nearly enough water. They need to get a majority of that from their food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i picked up some of the new weruva stews at petco last week. i think they are the wettest wet food i have ever seen. my guys are not fans of wet wet food, so they didn't eat it very well. Even a spoon full of water in their food will turn them off of it. unless its tiki after dark, lots of broth in there and they love that. But if you have a cat that loves soupy foods these would definitely be one to try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I ordered a case of Vintage from Costco, and Binx is so-so on it. Kaia eats it no problem. It is a very meaty pate...if that makes sense...quite dense and thick. I added water to Binx’s this morning and he ate almost all of it.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dave's cat food pates are extremely soft! You can't cut them the way you can with other pates...you have to scoop with a spoon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dave's cat food pates are extremely soft! You can't cut them the way you can with other pates...you have to scoop with a spoon!
We don’t have Dave’s in Canada either. Bummer.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat only eats pate, if I give her anything with chunks she just licks off the gravy and leaves the rest in her dish. Speedy is on lasix, so she needs a lower sodium diet plus she is thirsty all the time,so I like a very wet pate. For years I bought the regular Weruva (they don't make pate) and put it in the blender. It comes out really smooth, less like pate and more like a thick gravy. But I can only get it like 90% pureed and she still leaves bits of chicken. She's such a brat.

Nowadays Speedy is a bit underweight and I am trying new foods. I recently tried some of the Merrick limited ingredient diets, they seem wetter than most.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat only eats pate, if I give her anything with chunks she just licks off the gravy and leaves the rest in her dish. Speedy is on lasix, so she needs a lower sodium diet plus she is thirsty all the time,so I like a very wet pate. For years I bought the regular Weruva (they don't make pate) and put it in the blender. It comes out really smooth, less like pate and more like a thick gravy. But I can only get it like 90% pureed and she still leaves bits of chicken. She's such a brat.

Nowadays Speedy is a bit underweight and I am trying new foods. I recently tried some of the Merrick limited ingredient diets, they seem wetter than most.
Weruva makes patés now. Pouches and cans :)
Weruva Cat Patés - Weruva | Because We Luvya
They even have a brand new one in the BFF line
B.F.F. PLAY (Paté Lovers, Aw Yeah!) - Weruva | Because We Luvya

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, m3rma1d, that's great news for Speedy! I don't feed her BFF because it is high in sodium but I will definitely track down the flagship Weruva.

I love Weruva because they are just about the only company that provides extensive nutritional info on their website.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

OMG, this new Weruva Slide n' Serve is amazing. It is by far the wettest pate I have ever seen. It's not even really pate, they call it a puree and the consistency is more like pudding IMHO. In fact the staff at the pet shop told me Weruva designed it that way to be more hydrating. And they have a number of flavors that meet my sodium limits.

It has only been a few days but Speedy loves it and is eating more food than I have ever seen in her entire life. (Of course she's a cat and could decide tomorrow that she hates it.) The only drawback is I have to go to the boutique pet shop and pay $2 per pouch, but little Speedy gets about 3 meals per pouch.

You Canadians should write to Weruva and try to get this product up there. They always answer my emails. Also you should ask your pet store to write.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Update:

OMG, this new Weruva Slide n' Serve is amazing. It is by far the wettest pate I have ever seen. It's not even really pate, they call it a puree and the consistency is more like pudding IMHO. In fact the staff at the pet shop told me Weruva designed it that way to be more hydrating. And they have a number of flavors that meet my sodium limits.

It has only been a few days but Speedy loves it and is eating more food than I have ever seen in her entire life. (Of course she's a cat and could decide tomorrow that she hates it.) The only drawback is I have to go to the boutique pet shop and pay $2 per pouch, but little Speedy gets about 3 meals per pouch.

You Canadians should write to Weruva and try to get this product up there. They always answer my emails. Also you should ask your pet store to write.
omg so glad she loves it (this week anyway, haw haw)
I love that you're supporting an independent shop, but even so their prices sound way too steep. Do you have any independents near to find a better price, or could you order on Chewy to save money if it's tight for ya?