Wet Food - Feeding Just One Flavor?

Kairi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to get some opinions here since I've been struggling and failing to google some answers here. We currently feed our cats an exclusively wet food diet and we order the food monthly.

Here's the question - is it 'okay' to stick to one flavor of wet food? We usually don't get fish flavors anyway and stick with beef/poultry because I'd heard it's not great to feed cats a lot of seafood. Feel free to correct me on this if this is wrong also.

But cat food has gone up quite a bit in price in the last 2 years and while I wanna stick with the brand we usually get, some of the individual flavors have gone up several dollars on their own and it's starting to add up a little. So I'm just wondering if I could stick with the cheapest flavor temporarily; could I get say, just beef wet food for a few months on the when/if premise of the other flavors leveling back out to the same price? In the end I'll do whatever is going to be best for the cats' health, but just wanted to get some info.

Thanks for any responses

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's the question - is it 'okay' to stick to one flavor of wet food? We usually don't get fish flavors anyway and stick with beef/poultry because I'd heard it's not great to feed cats a lot of seafood. Feel free to correct me on this if this is wrong also.
If your cats are not fussy, you can rotate different flavors everyday or every few days or give them random flavors each time. Of course before giving them different flavors and textures, their tummies have to be acclimated to take different flavors at any one time in order to get a tummy ache and you don't have to do food transitions for them.

If your cats are fussy, just like my boy, I stick to only one flavor for him and so far he's enjoying his food for the past 5 over years. So it's ok to stick to just one flavor.

Best is feed them beef or poultry or rabbit's meat. Cats are carnivorous and in the wild, they hunt preys like mouse and birds and rabbits which are land base meat and I don't think they go diving and catch seafood :think: :nono: Seafood is just an extra option created by humans as a money machine.
In order words, best is to feed food with meat. This should be the first listing on the can.

It all depends on your cats. Sone cats turn their heads up on the expensive brands and enjoy the cheaper brands and vice versa. You can try making bulk order if you are sure what flavors your cats like and not likely to reject them after awhile. Bulk orders can have a better discount and free delivery.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to get some opinions here since I've been struggling and failing to google some answers here. We currently feed our cats an exclusively wet food diet and we order the food monthly.

But cat food has gone up quite a bit in price in the last 2 years and while I wanna stick with the brand we usually get, some of the individual flavors have gone up several dollars on their own and it's starting to add up a little. So I'm just wondering if I could stick with the cheapest flavor temporarily; could I get say, just beef wet food for a few months on the when/if premise of the other flavors leveling back out to the same price? In the end I'll do whatever is going to be best for the cats' health, but just wanted to get some info.

Thanks for any responses
In regard to seafood. I have found that Cats tend to experience more diarrhea eating seafood. A few months ago I purchased (1) case of 5.5oz. Blue Buffalo Wildness Turkey and (1) case of 5.5oz. Blue Buffalo Wildness "Red Meat". My cats reluctantly Will eat the Turkey. They Devour the "Red Meat" . So for the foreseeable future I will just serve them the "Red Meat ".

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats eat wet and they eat a lot. Spoiled brats will not eat same meal twice in a row. But I am resourceful and sneaky and I will lie to them. This may work if you have more then one cat otherwise may be wasteful. They will get something for breakfast and any leftovers gets sealed and refrigerated. Lunch is something different and if any leftovers it goes together with the other leftovers.Diner is another meal with addition of breakfast and lunch with addition of small can of fast food occasionally (fancy or similar) as a surprise ingredients !! They think that I’m great cook!!! I need around 220cans of 5.5 or 6oz cans usually divided between 5 or 6 flavors…. That’s a lot!!
Small mortgage, lol……… no see food

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
One of my cats will only eat chicken flavor of one wet brand. She turns her nose up at any other flavour or brand and would rather stave.
It does seem really boring just one flavor but she’s happy and healthy.
All my other cats are greedy and will happily eat anything you put down.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I give Delilah the same flavor too many times in a row she gives me dirty looks and walks away. Fancy is on a limited ingredient diet and has no choice right now.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keeping in mind all cats are different, the ideal is to feed them a variety and have them used to eating something different everyday. It keeps them from getting bored and feeding them one food exclusively can lead to them developing an allergy to some ingredient or other in that food.

One thing I do is spread out the cost. I have a variety pack of Sheba on autoship from Chewies, which is affordable for us. I pick up packages of raw liver, gizzards & hearts for about a dollar a pound which I break into smaller, one meal bags and freeze. (Belle gets fed three times a day.) You can get quite a few meals out of $5 worth of liver, gizzards & hearts!

Look for ways to economize, but try not to give them the same thing everyday! Just do what's best for your cats and your situation.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless there's a medical reason (diabetes, kidney disease, stones) it's best to rotate if possible, especially with how today's market is. I've had to go cold turkey a few times because of it and I think had I not been rotating flavors, the odd time I've had to give Indy some other brand like wuvera or wellness would have been much worse both in terms of her eating and the litterbox.