Wellington has diabetes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we are now two weeks into treatment, and Wellington spent the day today at the vet, being monitored every hour for blood glucose. I just went to pick him up and his chart is almost a straight line, which is great! Now he can eat a little more low carb food, and his dosage of insulin is to go down from 2.0 to 1.6. He is definitely perkier than he was. I am feeling much better about it all, and feel some hope for the first time. We are well into a routine of feeding and meds, although he does have to spend every night in a cage, but he not too fussed about that as he knows now that he gets fed there. His drinking has gone down a bit too - around 100 ml each night from 250.

Next week the vet says I can do the charts myself, and phone her the results.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we are now two weeks into treatment, and Wellington spent the day today at the vet, being monitored every hour for blood glucose. I just went to pick him up and his chart is almost a straight line, which is great! Now he can eat a little more low carb food, and his dosage of insulin is to go down from 2.0 to 1.6. He is definitely perkier than he was. I am feeling much better about it all, and feel some hope for the first time. We are well into a routine of feeding and meds, although he does have to spend every night in a cage, but he not too fussed about that as he knows now that he gets fed there. His drinking has gone down a bit too - around 100 ml each night from 250.

Next week the vet says I can do the charts myself, and phone her the results.
Jenny, it sounds like you have found a really good vet, which is wonderful.  No ups and downs on his chart is GREAT!  That thirst is always such a giveaway, so his thirst going down is also excellent.  I knew you would become confident once you got into a routine with him.  This is such good news!  Big hug to Wellington - love his name.  I will keep you two in my prayers.  Having had a cat with diabetes, I know the dread you feel when the vet says the D word.  You're doing great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The positive news on Wellington continues - he had his monthly vet check yesterday and his blood sugar is down to 111, which within normal range. His drinking is normal and his activity levels are up. The problem remains of his weight - he has managed to put on 300gms and now weighs 8.5 kilos, despite being on a strict diet of diabetic food. Admittedly, over the last week I have been rather out of it with Persil's death to cope with, and have twice found Wellington in the food cupboard and once in the fridge. It is so difficult - I keep him caged at meal times for an hour and then put all cat food away, but he is desperately hungry all the time. He got into some dry pasta once, and that is very bad for him. He is such a big cat and able to open everything. I am going to have to rethink all my storage arrangements. The vet did say that he looked fine, and she was quite surprised he weighed so much - he does not look fat, but he is still putting it on, which is bad.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's great news! :clap::clap::clap:

I hate to say it, given the seriousness of Wellington's weight, but I'm glad to hear Mogli isn't the only cat that will eat dry pasta. We have to keep that (and just about everything else) in plastic storage containers with tight-fitting lids inside cabinets with child-proof locks.