Weirdest Hair Behavior..

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I maybe worry too much, but this is bizarre.. The future on my cat's face is puffed out and raised on end. All 3 of my cats' fur is doing this right now. Only 1 has the fur raised on her face, but on each- their fur is raised slightly giving it a spikey and slightly oily look. It's as if their heckles are up like if they were alarmed or upset, but just a little and they are not behaving as if frightened or upset.
One is walking around the house doing her normal thing, but is have severe bouts of regression of her PTSD behaviors (rescue from an intensely abusive background) intermittently and only occasionally. She even swiped at me.. which hasn't happened in a long time. My two younger littermates are sleeping peacefully together as always. They do seem to be rapidly breathing and clingy toward one another. Bianca's face fur puffed up so much last night I considered an animal hospital.. she had no other symptoms though, except she kept giving me the look (when she looks deep into my eyes like she's reading me while letting me know if she could talk, she'd certainly be telling me something important).
Maybe they ate something bad? Or all happen to be allergic to a new something around here?
One of them recently killed a wild field mouse and frog outside and another was slightly injured (paw), but I do not know by what. I have only very recently started letting them go outside as I have finally moved somewhere it is safe and they come back in when called..
On a side note, they have all started smacking their lips kinda (it's that sound anyways) here recently too. Any ideas?
Am I just being a helicopter cat-mom?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, do you have a lot of static electricity in your house? Try a humidifier, mister or vaporizer or a pot full of water on the stove with a timer on it so it doesn't cook dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, do you have a lot of static electricity in your house? Try a humidifier, mister or vaporizer or a pot full of water on the stove with a timer on it so it doesn't cook dry.
I didnt even think about that lol. Thank you. I hate to doubt you when I dont have any other ideas, but something definitely seemed wrong with Bianca's demeanor and face fur. She seemed to really not be the same. I know this is all pretty vague and sounds silly, but it really worries me. Texas had a significant rabies outbreak last year and I of course fear the worst.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They might be reacting to something in the environment that is so slight you don't pick it up. New strays in the area could do it. Some smell from something outside that is new, and to them, threatening. Even a sound so slight that you don't hear it, or ignore it. Cats are hyper-aware, and very sensitive to any changes in their environment. My own cat, Hekitty, walked around for two days looking like a bottle-brush when I moved some furniture around. Yep, even something that slight can affect them.