Weird(?) things that I've been told

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moderators, please feel free to move the thread where it's more appropriate.

We're talking about FIP and its treatment.
Two people that I know both had their own cats diagnosed with FIP in the same week in January. They don't know each other. They were both referred to a veterinarian who has a clinic about 90 miles from here, I'll call her Dr. F.
One of the cats that were referred to Dr. F. unfortunately couldn't begin the therapy because another underlying disease, Toxoplasmosis, was diagnosed and this vet said that it wasn't possible to treat a FIP cat that has another health condition. This cat died a couple of days later.
The other cat was treated with a combination of drugs: one is the well known GS-441524, the others were a drug called BMX795 (which I haven't found anywhere in the internet) and a cortisone. This cat was diagnosed through a home made oral swab test (a normal Q-tip rubbed in the cat's mouth and then mailed to the vet), the test came positive and the cat started this new therapy right away.
After only a dozen of days this cat was retested with the same procedure and the test came negative, the cat was declared totally healed from the coronavirus, so the therapy was immediately stopped .

Now, I didn't know of such a short therapy for FIP, I have always known that the normal therapy lasts no less than 12 weeks, but Dr. F. claims that this new combination of drugs doesn't need long term therapies, and all cats fully recover within three weeks top. This things truly scares me. If the cat has a relapse of FIP, the usual med could not work again.

Dr. F. said that FIP isn't passed from cat to cat (which is the same thing I knew), but can be passed from cat to human and then to another cat, that means that humans can be vectors of the disease.
The same vet told one of the people that Toxoplasmosis can be transmitted to cats by dry food not stored in the fridge, she always advises her clients to store the kibbles in the fridge. This is new to me, never heard anything like that before. I know that the Toxoplasmosis parasite is killed by temperatures above 50°C / 122°F, and we know that kibbles are cooked at much higher temperature, so, even in the case of a contaminated ingredient, this should be made safe by the high temperature in the manifacturing process.

I am shocked at these weird (?) things that I have heard in such a short lapse of time.
Any opinions or insights? What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what to think, but I am glad that treatments for FIP are evolving. I have never heard about any mouth swab test to confirm it. I also have never heard anything about the cat version of coronavirus needing to be passed through a human to get to another cat, and I am not sure I am convinced this is really true. In my spare time (whenever that might be), I plan to start doing some heavy research about all of this. Frankly, it sounds a bit 'crazy'. Not too far off from how I feel about the toxoplasmosis/dry kibble theory either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to think, but I am glad that treatments for FIP are evolving. I have never heard about any mouth swab test to confirm it. I also have never heard anything about the cat version of coronavirus needing to be passed through a human to get to another cat, and I am not sure I am convinced this is really true. In my spare time (whenever that might be), I plan to start doing some heavy research about all of this. Frankly, it sounds a bit 'crazy'. Not too far off from how I feel about the toxoplasmosis/dry kibble theory either.
To be honest, I don't believe a single word of what that vet told these people.
They, on the other hand, bought everything she said and they poured all this info on me.
I told them I was really doubtful about this, and I also warned the person with the cat which recovered so quickly from FIP to be extremely wary of any smallest signal in her car, but she told me she is adamant that her cat will be fine.

I would steer clear of that vet, no doubt, sounds like a witch doctor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess this sounds mean- that vet sounds a little screwy. I know some cats can be cured of fip. I have a friend who’s’ Burmese was cured, but it took quite a bit of time. My question would be what research does she base her claims on?
Yes, FIP can be successfully cured, provided that it is taken care of in time and that a correct protocol is followed.

I recently treated a cat at the local shelter. I personally bought the GS and administered to him every night at the same time for over 12 weeks, and 8 months later the cat is still doing great.

I think this screwy vet is trying an own protocol, with a mix of drugs that she believes correct and working, but it has no scientific bases, she's just trying.

What scares me, apart from this random approach to a fatal disease, is what she believes about how certain diseases pass from patient to patient. Or from kibbles to patient 😱