Weird Breathing Pattern During Sleep

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have recently noticed that sometimes Merlin breaths weird while sleeping. It's usually just before starting to twitch/dream, so maybe it's normal, but I'm not sure.
You can see it clearly in the last couple of seconds in the video (when I zoom in). It's like the upper and lower chest are uncoordinated.

A part from that, he looks perfectly fine. No panting and resting respiratory rate is usually around 18-20. Since he had pneumonia when he was a kitten, I tend to over worry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know whether that is weird or not; I tend to think not. I am going to watch Feeby to see about the 'uncoordinated' breathing, just to see. It just could be the angle that Merlin is sleeping in. Otherwise, it looks pretty peaceful.

How old is Merlin? And, what caused you to notice this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know whether that is weird or not; I tend to think not. I am going to watch Feeby to see about the 'uncoordinated' breathing, just to see. It just could be the angle that Merlin is sleeping in. Otherwise, it looks pretty peaceful.

How old is Merlin? And, what caused you to notice this?
Yes he does look peaceful.
He will be one year old next week!
I've noticed just because these days he sleeps next to me on the bed, he used to prefer the couch in the other room. I think he likes the new blanket a lot :biggrin:
To be honest, I remember noticing it also a couple of months ago, but just once. These days it happens a lot more often (or I see it more often, sleeping next to him), but always in deep sleep and usually just before he starts twitching.
We just played ten minutes in a row and he had no respiratory issues at all

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby twitches too in her sleep - that is why I am really curious if there is a connection! I am not sure I will know, but will sure give an effort to see! It might just mean something to do with the deep sleep.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Is Merlin a doll-faced Persian? Since Persians are a brachycephalic breed their breathing can be more labored. My Carleton does the same thing when he is in a deep sleep too. I think it is perfectly normal and I also think Merlin is absolutely precious. :heartshape: I hope this helps alleviate your worries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Merlin a doll-faced Persian? Since Persians are a brachycephalic breed their breathing can be more labored. My Carleton does the same thing when he is in a deep sleep too. I think it is perfectly normal and I also think Merlin is absolutely precious. :heartshape: I hope this helps alleviate your worries.
He should be a scottish longhair, but the face is pretty similar

So I think you're right! Thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He's absolutely magnificent! Thanks for clarifying that he's a Scottish longhair too. Please give him a big hug from my Persian guy, Carleton, and me. :lovecat3: