Weekly Car Travel

mllevicomte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, 

Many apologies if this topic has already been covered in other threads---please direct me to the appropriate space if so!

I just accepted a new position at a university located approximately 6 hours away from my house.  I will be making the commute each week with my cats.

I know this sounds almost unrealistic, but it is actually less driving time than my current job.  Given the specificity of my field, commuting is almost always a consideration.  My fiancé travels Mon-Thurs/Fri, so I have to take the cats with me.  Plus, I wouldn't be able to spend so much time without my pets! :)  

I know that this is an extreme situation, but it is the best we can find right now. There are no possibilities for leaving them at home or for finding another position.

Given these factors, does anyone have advice on how to travel successfully with cats on a weekly basis?  I've seen some for occasional travel, but I'm wondering about weekly travel for a semester or so each time.  

One of mine is getting used to an outdoor harness, so I think he could use one of the seats designed for use with these.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks for helping me and my kitties to enjoy this new adventure in our lives!  

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How do they travel now?  It may not be a problem at all.  What type of car do you have? 

I have a hatchback and can put the seats down to create a large flat area.  I used to travel with one cat regularly.. she had her comfy crate which I kept her in, (usually on the seat next to me) but there was also an enclosed litter, food and water area etc in which she would have a wander every so often when we stopped for a break.

If you haven't done much travelling with them, I'd build up the experience.. just put them in the car in the set-up that you will use for a long journey, drive a mile or so, and come home.. then extend it.

Personally I think cats prefer to be in a nice secure carrier rather than a harness arrangement, but then I've never tried it.

I'm sure your cats will appreciate being with you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mllevicomte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Mani, 

Thanks so much for your reply!  I usually take them to the vet in the carrier and that seemed to stress them out, so I was worried about that.  But your response suggests that I could perhaps build up a nice long travel environment for them little by little.  Maybe that way they could acclimate to the situation.  

I just want them to be happy as we work through the changes...

Thanks again!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Keep us posted

And you may well get more suggestions....