Week 2: What do you think of the "5 second rule"?

sumosmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend used to say, "God made dirt and dirt don't hurt," right before she'd pick up a chip or something that fell on the floor and eat it. (That's when we were in junior high.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sumosmom

My friend used to say, "God made dirt and dirt don't hurt," right before she'd pick up a chip or something that fell on the floor and eat it. (That's when we were in junior high.)
I've never heard that saying. I might use it some time.

sumosmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

I've never heard that saying. I might use it some time.
Yeah, if you say it with authority while you're brushing the cat hair and dust off your steak, your date might be too stunned to say anything, and you'll get away with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sumosmom

Yeah, if you say it with authority while you're brushing the cat hair and dust off your steak, your date might be too stunned to say anything, and you'll get away with it.
I have a date?

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was watching "Mythbusters" today and they tested the five-second rule.

They dropped crackers and pastrami on the floor and left one cracker and one piece of pastrami, for 2 seconds and one of each for 6 seconds.

Each item was then cultured for bacteria. Both the items left for 2 seconds and the items left for 6 seconds had about the same amounts of bacteria on them. The "wet" pastrami had more bacteria than the "dry" crackers but that was the only significant difference - the length of time on the floor had nothing to do with it.

As side note: they decided to test another myth, using bacterial cultures. They had a dog lick one culture plate and a man the other. BOTH of those plates showed about the same amounts of bacteria, too. I'm STILL not French-kissing my dogs!