Weaning cat off prednisone

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am feeding her 5mg tablets per day. What is the best way to wean her off Prednisone? She has been taking it for about a week now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It depends what she was taking it for. Best to call your vet in the morning and ask them. But, a one week course of pred is incredibly short.
It is being used for Lung Cancer. They basically want to keep her on it until she dies. I am going to try a holistic approach but the treatment I have in mind can’t be used in conjunction with prednisone.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am feeding her 5mg tablets per day. What is the best way to wean her off Prednisone? She has been taking it for about a week now.

That is a question to ask your vet as every cat and situation is different.

Long term pred use can cause some issues in cats such as diabetes-like symptoms but the benefits usually outweigh the minor side effects.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly wouldn’t take her off the Prednisolone if it were my cat. Usually with cancer, if you stop the Prednisolone the condition will worsen rapidly. The Prednisolone is what helps to shrink the tumors.

I know of a few cats that have lived much longer than expected with masses in the lungs. One cat isn’t on Prednisolone due to his owner not able to pill him. He gets monthly Depomedrol/Dexamethasone injections

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand, the main reason I was attempting to do it was because I want to administer AHCC to her which will potentially use her own immune system to kill cancerous cells and tumors. The only problem is, AHCC and prednisone are incompatible as prednisone decreases immunity response and AHCC increases immunity response and can't be used together.

More info on AHCC:
Ahcc: Health Benefits, Side Effects, Uses, Dose & Precautions

Last edited: