We need some brain power!

fender

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long story... We are emergency foster for an estimated 10 month old cat. He was brought to vet clinic as a street cat with severe wounds. Cat was found to have multiple abcesses with necrotic musculature. He had drains placed for a few days then sutures up and transferred here for at home medical management, to the beat of my ability... Fast forward 1.5 weeks, his clavamox and zaniquin are done. Thursday he refused breakfast (weird because was ravenous) vomited mid day and refuses dinner. I noted areas along tail and and both sides turning blue/gray and I know it isn't bruising. By Friday morning his fever was soaring. Vet did nothing much other than labs which led her to re rest for FIV. At intake it was negative, now string positive. Labs showed a plummeting white count and RBC of 15%. Went back Saturday with continue fever of over 104, still refusing food and water. This vet started him on NSAID, appetite stimulant and gave 100 of fluids. Sunday still feverish so I gave an additional 100 of fluids and continued with NSAID and appetite stimulant. Wed -monday he took in maybe 150 calories.

Went back to vet today, they had consulted Cornell, who thought he probably had distemper (thank God it was negative) still no answers, no real plan other than labs in a week. The blue spots have no darkened. (On weird side, this is the only area he is regrowing his black hair) nobody knows what these spots are or if concern. Any advise on treatment for ongoing fever not responding to antibiotics or nsaids? Was 102.4 at 8am by 3 pm back to 102.8 and climbing. Fluids so help bring it down shirt term.. he is acting more animated, but for a 10 month old cat acts 17 years. Does not play, walk well (possible damage from infection) or move much. He only wants to be held.

Pics of "spots"

Thank you for any input!!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He only wants to be held.
Does he want this for your warmth? Like a kitten, even though he has a fever? He's probably aching all over - can you see if he'll be ok with a heating pad on low, covered with a towel or two for when there isn't a human to hold him? Maybe a heating lamp?

From an article regarding preemie kittens but I'm thinking it may work here as well;
StefanZ StefanZ ; As a complement to heating pads, brooder heating IR lamps, the same as are used for warming up new hatched chickens, are very useful. They can be used over the nest the usual way, as an alternative to heating pads. Another nice usage is if you must supplement feed the tiny ones, they tend to get cold while you feed them. Even if you hold them in your hands. But if you can have this brooder above your feeding place, they wont never get chilled. Our forumist TeamCarp33 whom got 10 prematures, did gave this tip. :) I suppose other tipes of IR-heating lamps can too be used in an emergency, till you get the correct gears. Similiar IR lamps are used for people with rheumatical problems. They are also used to warm up terraries.

Also, I'd even suggest some cat music or classical harp music - his emotional state could probably use a little help/boost as well.

necrotic musculature.
He's not bruised from the outside, but is the coloration coming from the inner side of his skin?

appetite stimulant
Can you give the fluids on a regular basis?

These tips regarding feeding might help, or can you scoop a little food on a popsicle stick, open his mouth by gently pressing at the hinge of the jaw and scrape the food off on his tongue?

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fender

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your thoughts!! I am afraid if adding additional heat as he has been over 105, though I am sure you are right. He needs comfort and has to hurt, he is grossly underweight, just the pressure on his joints must be terrible.

Classical music.... Love it! Will definitely add. Trying to keep stress as low as possible, this surely will help

The coloration is coming from within. We have few guesses. The only time I have seen that blue color is when my own skin graft failed, I feel it is vascularization in nature. A lot of tissue was black during surgery, they had to remove a lot of stuff. The vet increased his clavamox to 6 weeks

Vet is also looking into LTCI (lymphocyte t cell immodulator) as possible treatment. Any experience?

I can give sub cu fluids, no problem administering them and have the supplies, just don't want to do too much? Not sure what the parameters are

I have force fed cats before and even had a foster with a feeding tube, just want the desire to be there. He was absolutely ravenous until Wednesday. I have been down the no will to eat oath and want to get off of it ASAP!

I have no experience with FIV+ cats, to be honest still consider myself fairly new to the cat world. All advice is greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
to be honest still consider myself fairly new to the cat world.
wow, you really got thrown into the deep end - bless your heart for hanging in there with him!!

What about a thermal bed? or even a wool/cotton bed? something super soft, and warm-ish? (I still like the idea of a heating pad set on low with a couple of towels over it. Try it if you're able and see how he reacts).

Here's an article;
Fiv In Cats – Cat Articles

Here's a thread that has links to more threads. You'd of course want to double-check everything with your vet to be sure s/he is ok and there's no issues with what she's prescribing. I don't have personal experience with LTCI
https://thecatsite.com/threads/fiv-support-meds-supplements.407523/

Here's another thread that may be a little better - particularly regarding dental issues;
2 of our 4 cats just got FIV+ diagnosis, what now?

I really like the popsicle stick method - it seems more like handfeeding rather than forcefeeding, which I realize is just semantics except it's not LOL, and he has GOT to get nutrients in his system.

Ask your vet if goat milk and pedialyte is necessary if he's dehydrated, and kitten glop, if that's acceptable.
Kitten-Rescue.com

Also ask the vet about Royal Canin canned food - it has extra nutrition for cats who need extra help with weight, like this version possibly, although there are other versions;
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal High Energy Canned Cat Food, 5.8-oz, case of 24 - Chewy.com

How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight – Cat Articles

Also, try a flat paper plate, for some reason that can often get a cat started eating. It may be that he's too sore and uncomfortable to be interested in anything - is he able to get any pain meds?

I can give sub cu fluids, no problem administering them and have the supplies, just don't want to do too much? Not sure what the parameters are
What would your vet think of giving a certain amount daily, since he seems to tolerate it?

Last edited:

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this sounds strange, but was he exrayed? My cat Beju (now passed) had been shot with B.B.’s and had infections also. Hopefully the vet did...

fender

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow, you really got thrown into the deep end - bless your heart for hanging in there with him!!

What about a thermal bed? or even a wool/cotton bed? something super soft, and warm-ish? (I still like the idea of a heating pad set on low with a couple of towels over it. Try it if you're able and see how he reacts).

Here's an article;
Fiv In Cats – Cat Articles

Here's a thread that has links to more threads. You'd of course want to double-check everything with your vet to be sure s/he is ok and there's no issues with what she's prescribing. I don't have personal experience with LTCI
https://thecatsite.com/threads/fiv-support-meds-supplements.407523/

Here's another thread that may be a little better - particularly regarding dental issues;
2 of our 4 cats just got FIV+ diagnosis, what now?

I really like the popsicle stick method - it seems more like handfeeding rather than forcefeeding, which I realize is just semantics except it's not LOL, and he has GOT to get nutrients in his system.

Ask your vet if goat milk and pedialyte is necessary if he's dehydrated, and kitten glop, if that's acceptable.
Kitten-Rescue.com

Also ask the vet about Royal Canin canned food - it has extra nutrition for cats who need extra help with weight, like this version possibly, although there are other versions;
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal High Energy Canned Cat Food, 5.8-oz, case of 24 - Chewy.com

How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight – Cat Articles

Also, try a flat paper plate, for some reason that can often get a cat started eating. It may be that he's too sore and uncomfortable to be interested in anything - is he able to get any pain meds?

What would your vet think of giving a certain amount daily, since he seems to tolerate it?
Thank you so much for the links, I will read them all!

I will try the warm pad, will just have to do a few temp checks to make certain he isn't getting warmer. He is in a super soft snuggle dog bed currently.

Is the Royal canin much different than hills A/D? We are in A/D now as that is what I have used in the past.

He has had a ceramic saucer to seat off since coming home, his food is fairly already out with no edge, my tube feeding cat taught me to use plates!

He was on the syringe pain meds (began with a B) for about a week after surgery. When his skin started changing I knew he was sore again as he would meow of I touched his hind quarter. The NSAID seemed to take care of that as he is no longer reactive. I can't use anymore Nsaids, he had his 3days, but can ask about more syringe of meds

I asked About daily fluids and did not get a clear answer. My personal vet who saw him Saturday and gave me the supplies gave me enough for 4 days. I may have to contact her for some clarification on when/if

I grew up on a farm and have taken care of several I'll dogs, I ended up with 4 foster cats 3 years ago and my gosh have they taught me a lot, still so much to learn about cats though!

fender

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this sounds strange, but was he exrayed? My cat Beju (now passed) had been shot with B.B.’s and had infections also. Hopefully the vet did...
I am not certain if they x rates or not as they were fairly certain the abcesses were from a cat fight. I will double check, thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He has had a ceramic saucer to seat off since coming home, his food is fairly already out with no edge, my tube feeding cat taught me to use plates!
I suggested the flat paper plate to use to help get him started eating again, although you'll need to help him with the handfeeding first/now. Baby steps...

I realize you want him to have the desire to eat, but that's being overwhelmed by something else, and he absolutely must have food to help his body fight this thing and to avoid getting dehydrated.

The Hills is probably similar to the RC :)