We Need Advice And Encouragement

lifeinspires

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my name is Olivia. My husband and I have been cat parents for the last 4 years and our 8 fur babies are our world. I’ve never posted before, but I’ve read posts on this site that have saved us many times over the years! So thank you for your wisdom, empathy, and patience.

This post isn’t about any of our 8 cats. Well, it will be about them soon because we took in two stray kittens, but I need support regarding the two little strays. Allow me to explain...

Just to clarify, 8 cats isn’t burdensome for us or for our cats. I don’t want anyone to think that we’re irresponsible or starting to hoard cats. We have a descent sized house, there is plenty of vertical space, we did proper introductions, they have ample resources everywhere, we have a big catio with all the amenities for them, they all have health insurance, we can afford their vet bills, wet food for all feedings, etc. Our cats all either tolerate one another, or consider themselves bffs.

Taking in two kittens was not in our plans because we aren’t looking to expand our already large cat family, but we felt compelled to help because we cannot look away when someone or something needs help. Two weeks ago, a small kitten (maybe 4-6 month old) was under a car in front of our home. We live on a busy main street (So. California), so we never see cats in front of our home. Not long before this, a cat around her/his size was killed by a car and we saw it on our way out to work. We didn’t want this little one to meet the same fate, so we tried to lure it close to us so we could bring her in to safety. It was relatively easy because she was starving. We gave her food and treats and she got close and started eating immediately. Then, we put more food in a carrier, she jumped right in, began to eat, and we carried in to her sanctuary room right away. She was so distraught and cried all the time for the first week...

We modified the catio outside to allow this little one outdoor time. It was a small area, but big enough for her to feel fresh air and hang out outside. Two days after working very hard on creating this separate catio, we trusted she could go out to explore so she could feel a little more freedom. Well, she ended up escaping. We still don’t know how she got out. We checked every angle and even though we think it’s kind of impossible (apparently not), there is a 2 inch gap between a wide pole and the wall. We used the pole to wrap the netting around it and our cats have never tried to wiggle out of that space, so we were devastated when we couldn’t find her anywhere.

A day after this, I hear this little escape artist crying in our backyard! I recognized her cry right away and gave her kitten wet food. She gobbled up two entire cans of food and went on her merry way. Since we couldn’t stop thinking about her safety, we decided to leave a water bowl out and keep waiting for her to return. We saw her again a few days in a row and since she wasn’t warming up at all, we set up a humane trap and we caught her the first time after two days of feeding her.

She/he is back in her sanctuary room, hiding under the bed most of the time, eating well, using the litter box, etc. We also managed to give her flea meds and a dewormer. She’s dirty, but not suffering anymore. She doesn’t allow us near her at all and she hisses at me sometimes, but if we’re still in bed, she’ll explore the room or go on the towers. She’s always looking for a way out and crying.

Last night, we added a new layer of complexity to this already stressful situation. Her sibling showed up. He must have heard her cries. I cannot explain how this little one was undeterred to get in our house. He was sniffing our cats in the catio and when I went outside, he came running to me, hookey tail and all and rubbing his face all over me. The friendliest stray I have ever met! He allowed me to pick him up and bring him in to the sanctuary room. There is no mistake about it, their markings are nearly identical and they are the same size, so they’re from the same litter. He was so happy to be inside and ate a lot. She was quietly observing near the edge of the bed, but when their eyes met, there was growling and hissing on her part.

The boy, who showed up last night to save her, has been very passive, but playful with her. He is not aggressive towards her, but she is towards him. She won’t allow him near her. Boy kitty sits next to her, yawns, goes belly side up, but she’s not having it. This prompted him to kind of stalk her and she’s even more upset. There were no fights last night. He slept on the bed with us. They both ate and used the litter box. But this morning, he’s trying to go after her when she tries to come out from under the bed. I’m guessing she wants to use the litter box. I was considering bringing boy kitty to the living room to give her space, but I want to take him to the vet first. He’s friendly, but I don’t think my cats will be super thrilled to meet him without desensitizing them to his scent first. Also, the flea meds were just applied last night, so there’s a chance he could take the flea stragglers to the other side.

My husband is supportive of our rescuing efforts, but he wants to find a home for them as soon as possible. It’s kitten season, so i know it’s hard to find rescues right now. The shelter isn’t an option for us. I have successfully rehomed foster pups in the past, but never cats. We’ve kept all our cat rescues.

My concerns are: How can we make the first stray kitty feel safe with her sibling in the room if she doesn’t recognize him anymore? Or does she? Because she went back to her home base after she escaped and be came looking for her.

Besides posting flyers everywhere and reaching out to all the overwhelmed rescues in the area, what else can we do to help rehome these little ones?

I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up keeping them, but can this work? Will the harmony be disturbed? The first kitty (I don’t know if it’s a girl or a boy) is very semi feral like and won’t budge. She is warming up at a snail’s pace while her brother is all over us. How can we help her adjust with an intruder in her sanctuary room?

I apologize for the wordiness. I wanted to give as much feedback as possible. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance for the time you took to read this post!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think first, take them both to the vet soonest, they need to be spayed and neutered assuming they aren't, plus they'll end up smelling the same to each other which could help her attitude towards him.

If you keep them;
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing?

If you don't, try Nextdoor . com, I wouldn't utilize Craigslist, and this might also help;
"kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lifeinspires

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furrballsmom, you’re right. I will make an appointment as soon as possible. I was going to wait a week, but there’s no need to wait. I was hoping she learned to trust me by then so that the vet visit didn’t make her hate me, but if they’ll smell the same, I’d rather do that. Thank you. :blush:

lifeinspires

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You'll be able to overcome the vet trip effects, one thing to try is to have some music going (think MusicForCats . com) :), and this may help as well;

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
I bought both Music For Cats CDs and they’ve been playing on low volume. It’s so soothing. Baby boy is sleeping soundly and he’s been letting me clean him up well. She’s still under the bed and won’t come out to use the litter box. I moved it right next to the bed and left for a while so she could come out. I have a camera set up, so I know she never came out. I’m calling vet offices right now...

lifeinspires

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update in case anyone is following the thread! Hi Furballsmom!
The neuter surgery for Skittles and Honey Biscuit went well. Skittles (the boy who is always under the bed), is still under the bed and even more skittish. But he’s recovering and even though it was super challenging to get him in the carrier, he got fixed! Honey Biscuit, the friendly boy, is recovering well and eating/drinking normally.
Unfortunately, Skittles still hisses at Biscuit and doesn’t welcome him in the room. I had to bring Biscuit to my room and leave Skittles in the original safe haven. I’ll reintroduce them slowly.
Also, the vet discovered a corneal ulcer in Skittle’s eye, so that explains his apprehension of being touched. He’s in pain! Thankfully, I’ve been using cbd oil and mixing it with Churu treats and that should help. I have no idea how we’ll administer the drops 4 times a day! I’ll start this question on a separate thread.
Thanks for the advise and support! :happycat:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing an amazing job with these two....not to mention the wonderful home that you have given to your others. Years ago I rescued, or rather had to take home from a feral colony due to dog attacks, a brother and sister. I took the brother on January 1, 2000 (Milo the Millennium Cat) and could not get his sister until February 14 of the same year. At first the sister, Katya, seemed to have no idea that Milo was her brother and was very distant, standoffish, and moderately aggressive, but finally it seemed to dawn on her. Both had been spayed prior to bringing them home, in case that is any part of the picture. I also shouldn't wonder that having a corneal ulcer was a deterrent to friendly behavior.

lifeinspires

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:wave3:Hi! Thanks for asking for an update! Skittles is getting more comfortable in his room. He doesn’t desperately try to claw his way out, nor does he cry all night. Skittles now plays in his tunnels and climbs the towers while we’re in the room (as long as we stay perfectly still lol), but we can’t approach him yet. He still hisses when I bring him his food, but happily gobbles it up. I ignore him, but I do sing to him and talk to him while I’m in his room. Last night, I put catnip on the bed, and he climbed up and slept on the bed several hours. I had the widest smile on my face. :bliss: He was out most of the night instead of staying under the bed! I’ve never had a cat warm up to me this slowly, so it’s breaking my heart. Thankfully, we are off of work two more weeks, so we have plenty of time to spend with him and the others.
Honey Biscuit is a doll and just about the most easy going and loving cat we’ve ever had. He demands kisses, rubs his face all over my face, gives love to anyone who shows up, isn’t trying to escape, and is super happy!
We’ve started scent exchanges, but unfortunately, my Cocopuff is having dental issues, so she’s been our center of attention the last two days with bloodwork and hand feeding her. She goes in for a deep cleaning this morning. (Withholding food from them before anesthesia kills me!) Bloodwork came back squeaky clean, so the vet thinks it’s her gums/teeth that are causing the drooling and pain. Thank goodness for CBD oil because that has lessened the severity of the drooling and she is more herself while waiting for the results.
Thanks for reading and for caring. I love this page and all its members. I don’t know what I’d do without it because it’s the first place I visit with any cat related concern.
I’ll update again soon! :lovecat:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just read this thread - - - so glad by the time I got to the end of this thread (well, the current end :) ) that these little adorable guys are already making enormous strides in feeling at home and with each other. It sounds like you're someone who's got it all down! And btw - -they ARE gorgeous!

As far as ways to help find a new home for one or both (although sounds like you're beyond head over heels - - particularly with Skittles - - he sounds like an amazingly sweet guy!), I've got a few additional things to try to find a good home. When we're trying to find a good home for a socialized TNR kitty, what we have the best luck with is utilizing our social media (facebook etc), emailing as many people as we can, and taking flyers to places and asking to post them - concentrating on places frequented by animal lovers like local vets, groomers, pet food stores, etc. I make a little "flyer" featuring several adorable pictures along with as compelling a description as possible of their personalities, and the fact that a forever home is needed - and if the person who sees the flyer can't give them a home to please pass along the email, to show a flyer to others they know, and to 'share' the facebook/etc post with as many people as possible. I also go to our local shelters and ask to post a flyer there - - some shelters won't do that as they feel it "competes" with their animals for a new home, but most I've asked are happy to (as long as I ask nicely and in person!).

And hopefully Cocopuff's mouth issues will be resolved soon too.

I hope you'll post an update on all soon!

lifeinspires

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for your reply and well-wishes! Sorry for the late response. We’ve been working on the catio non stop this weekend and I also didn’t get a notification.

Cocopuff was such a good sport and is back to normal! We’re going to take our other honey buns one by one for a cleaning while we’re still on break. We want to avoid another emergency. We’ve also been more diligent about brushing their teeth little by little every night. Good thing they love the poultry toothpaste, but it’s difficult to brush them without restraining them a little.

Honey Biscuit is just getting acquainted with the other ones. We allow them to eat and have treats and play by each other. Biscuit goes to the other side of the house where my room is and explores while the other ones watch him. They kind of ignore him and he’s not mean to them. He’s only aggressive when one of them escapes to “his” side of the house. He’s more humble when he’s in their territory. So we’re very thankful for that.

Skittles is warming up a lot more, but not to the point where I can touch him. He plays with the wands, won’t run under the bed when I walk in the room, and hangs out while we’re in the room. We worked on his side of the catio all weekend and made sure we used the critterfence netting on all sides and we triple checked he wouldn’t be able to escape. We also set up a camera so we could monitor him while he’s out there. He looks confident and much happier now that he has that area. He tried to find a way out last night, but he didn’t, so he calmed down completely. He only cried a little while trying to escape, but then gave up. He’s been playing and napping on the top shelf of the tower. When I go in his room to announce mealtime, he looks at me, waits till I’m gone, and eats on the window perch inside the room and goes back outside. We were nervous about opening up the catio for him, but we’re glad we did!

Thank you for all the suggestions. We applied them when we fostered a pair of sibling puppies a couple years ago. I know for a fact we’re keeping Honey Biscuit. I’d love to keep Skittles also! It all depends on how Skittles feels with having to share his space with 9 other cats. He’s very timid and gets spooked easily. If he’s miserable here after months of trying, we’ll try to find him a home where he’s the only cat. But don’t worry, we’re not in a hurry to re-home him and we’re giving him the same loving treatment as if he was staying. We’ve never re-homed a cat and it would kill us to do so, but we just want him to be happy. We have a positive attitude because a couple of our cats were tough cases and they’re thriving and all getting along.

Have an awesome day! I hope I can one day update you with a picture of Skittles on my lap (or not, lol!) or just cuddling next to me!