We Are Finally Getting A Bengal!

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live with a year and a 1/2 old Savannah cat, and in some way I have heard these breeds are similar...

My Savannah loves going for walks on a leash and has got to the point where he will trot a full 2 mile loop with me only stopping for a few sniffs, to climb a few trees and to try to pounce on a few things. It has taken a lot of time and doing what he wants to do, but we have gotten to a point where he seems to understand everything I say and is generally inclined to want to cooperate with me as long as I usually try to cooperate with him. It is a really fun way to spend time with your cat and burn off energy.

But if you are going to do this, and will not be allowing him to come and go as he pleases, I would suggest to always carry him out the door in a cat back pack, so he does not learn to try and door dash, and always have the cat back pack with you in case he gets scared and needs containing. It can also be handy as an alternative to your arms as a crash landing site that can be hoisted into a tree in an emergency.

My cat never tries to door dart because he has never gotten out that way. Instead he just climbs in his backpack and meows if he wants out.

Also, we went through a rough patch where he meowed to go out 8 hours a day, even though we spent a couple hours out walking every day. So I began a strict routine of only walking him in the evening and he figured out meowing other times was fruitless and it became a lot easier to live with him. Now it is winter we just go out weather permitting and his learning not to meow for a walk all day seems to have stuck, and he now seems to be OK going out with no schedule.

I do allow him to walk back in through the door as I want him to know how to get home if he ever gets out accidentally, and so far this has not led to him figuring out it could work the other way too... And I try to always get him to come in on his own without forcing him. He always gets his favorite treat when we come in, and now just saying "Treats?" at the end of a walk is enough to get him happily trotting back to the house.

I think both Savannahs and Bengals can have strong wills and it is important not to start any habits that you might not want to continue.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right on time for Christmas! I can't wait to see LOTS of pictures...possibly one of him at the top of the tree.
Yes we will definitely be posting lots and lots of pics. We pick him up on the 23rd so he'll be home with us for Christmas! My kiddos are so excited. They have a countdown on the fridge and everything!! It's pretty sweet. Here's another pic from the other day as well of him from the breeder I wish I had one of his face to post but they'll be lots of time for that once he's home. He is sooooo stinking cute
Capture+_2018-12-09-04-35-11.png Capture+_2018-12-09-04-35-29.png

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a purr-fect Christmas gift. :santa: Are you planning to put up a tree? If so, expect him to be up in it, more than under it. ;)
We actually just put our Christmas tree up tonight! we get him on the 23rd in the morning so he won't have too long to hang out in it! Long enough to get some funny/cute pictures hopefully though!!! :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is very cute!
That said Bengals tend to be very active. I would start leash training him and get him a catio (even just the window kind if that is all you can afford.) if I was adopting a Bengal I would make sure it was further down the breeding so he would be tame (F 4 I think.) I would also build secure fencing that would be able to contain him completely in the backyard (research what kind of fencing works) or get him catio to use whenever he wants. I would also catify my home with tons of cat trees and shelves. I would assume he bores easily and would challenge him with obstacle courses and puzzle feeders.

A well placebird feeder can be a life saver ... so a bird watching spot is always good.

:goodluck:

There are many websites dedicated to Bengals. Perhaps some research could help?

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are many websites dedicated to Bengals. Perhaps some research could help?
We have done years of research to be honest lol. Was just looking for stuff that wasn't on the internet or in books, personal experiences people have had as I know everything you read online isn't true. As I said though we have done LOTS of research and know what the internet/books say but was just looking for personal experiences with bengals. We've already got everything he needs that way, I truly appreciate all your suggestions though. Having a catio isn't an option but he has cat trees, shelves, a cat wheel and will be getting plenty of outside time. Was more so looking for people that have owned a Bengal and have experience or advice. Thank you for your reply though!!

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOTS OF THEM! ~drools slightly in anticipation~
I will definitely be posting pics as soon as we get him. It's 7pm here now and we pick him up at 8am (so around 13 hours). Im sure I'll be taking pics as soon as I pick him up hehe. Can't wait to share the pics with you all

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are home and settled. He is doing so wonderful. He is eating, drinking, using the litter box on his own and always wants to be on or near me or my husband he is the sweetest little boy and we are SO happy with him. He is everything we could of hoped for and more! Here are a few pics. We had a 6 hour drive home today after we picked him up so things were a bit hectic lol. I will take more as the days go on though, he's too cute not to!!
20181223_113336.jpg
20181223_083402.jpg
20181223_185818.jpg
20181223_085451_HDR.jpg