We adopted a cat... again

KittenWithMitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So on Friday (7th may) we adopted an orange 5-8 year old cat(I know, the age is very specific, as specific as you can get with shelter cats, but assuming he’s about 6). He was laying in his litterbox for the first night and during the day. Same with today, most of the day he’s been laying there. Every now and then he left his box and went onto the windowsill. At one point during Saturday he came to my room and hid under the sofa. And then back to litterbox. Any tips on how to get him to stop laying/sitting there? We put a carrier there for him to hide. He hasn’t used it yet. We removed the lid of the litterbox and still nothing. What are the chances that he’ll do his business elsewhere? Currently we found poop and pee in his litterbox (yes, I’m aware of the faster cleaning I’ll have to do if he keeps spending his days there) so I assume we’re safe?
And I also have 2 other cats, one is about 2,5 years old and the other is 1 at the end of may. So far they’ve looked at the new cat from a distance (2.5y/o cat gave him a sniff and got hissed at, but it was as he was going into the litterbox so I’d say that’s normal) he’s currently walking freely, I can’t exactly keep him in a separate room so we used the crate method, but we opened the door quite soon after so he could walk around as soon as he feels fine to do so (I don’t want him to be confined to one place only, especially if he feels ready to go around and wants to sniff and explore, it’s more on his terms than mine and me deciding when he can go around) and all cats are free to meet one another if they feel like it. Resident cats have shown no signs of aggression, apart from some hairs going up and slightly arched back with fluffed up tail from the younger one, but it was for the first few hours. If they hated him, they would’ve shown more aggressive signs already? Or the newbie would’ve shown aggressive signs? How do I make sure he knows he’s free to cuddle and go wherever he wants to? Can I somehow encourage him? I’ve gone in and talked to him and given him few pets. He’s hissed at me a few times, as I was feeding him (I wanted to place the bowl closer to him, I guess he got the wrong message lol) but other than that he’s been okay. I want him to know he can come and cuddle me and lay in my bed😅 other 2 cats where cuddly right away, especially the younger one. Any suggestions on how to help him are accepted! I know I probably hurried too much with the introduction but it felt right (and nobody got attacked). And how do I know my cats are gonna accept the newbie? If they hated him they would’ve already attacked him, whenever, especially since they can all get to each other? I feel like they’re gonna be good friends but I want to make sure😩
PS, are all orange cats accepting of other cats and super cuddly and basically “golden retrievers of cats”? Or is that just a myth?😂

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is spending his time in the litter box, he is extremely stressed. I would suggest confining him to one room and gradually introducing him to the rest of the house and the other two cats. There may not be signs of aggression now, but there is certainly stress. You mentioned that you cannot exactly keep him in a separate room. What is the reason for that, if you do not mind? What sort of crate? How big?

You have to remember that he is coming from a shelter that likely had him in a cage or in a small space. Giving him a larger space is likely scary for him. If he was exposed to other cats, those are not the cats he is around now, so may understand that they are other cats, but he does not know them yet, which adds more stress.

Do your cats wear collars? What is the litter box situation? How many do you have? Where are they located? Have you gotten any calming spray?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Two days for a cat of his age is way too soon to do what you are doing. He should have been able to have a room or a sectioned off area, away from the other cats, to call his own to start with. He is using the litter box because it doesn't sound like he has any other hiding spots to retreat to. A crate is fine - if you have no room to give him - as long as it is big enough to house a litter box, a hiding spot, and his food/water - and then covered up on at least 3 sides. It also has to be big enough to enable you to change the litter and replenish food/water perhaps while he hides in a corner in an upside down cardboard box with an entry to it so that he can retreat there to feel secure. And, it should be cordoned off so the other cats can't be that close by. Spending time with him, just sitting down nearby and reading a book out loud but softly lets him get used to you and your presence. He needs to accomplish that before you start cat introductions. Use these TCS articles to devise a plan to make things better for all of you.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenWithMitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay answering the questions- I cant keep him in a separate room, because other 2 cats are everywhere and they’ll get slightly frustrated if they cant come to my room (apparently I’m their favorite) and I feel like it’d stress everyone even more? And other rooms in the apartment are constantly used and it’d stress him out even more? The crate method worked with my 2nd cat and so far they’re all doing fine now. The new cat is walking around and exploring and has not since hidden in the litterbox. We have 4 litterboxes atm. We might get more if needed but currently it looks enough. Right now there’s just some hissing from resident cats but it’s very rare and only when the newbie comes too close (he did rub one of my resident cats and she didn’t enjoy it as much😂)
He’s spending most of his time in my room under my bed in a big dogbed. (The underneath of the bed isn’t very enclosed and we can still interact with him and he’s not exactly hiding)
He meows a lot aswell? I assume it’s because it’s a new place and he just wants to talk?
other than that it seems he’s adjusting quite well. I haven’t used a calming spray or any of that sort. I was thinking of feliway when I got the 2nd cat but they got themselves sorted out. And I’m not sure about buying it now either, it’s expensive and might not work, but obviously if I see signs that I need one, I will obviously buy it. I just never wanted to risk in case it doesn’t work or does the opposite (can that happen?)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you can't give him a whole room, can you give him your closet? Litter box, water, food, bed, door shut so no other cats can get in there? He's frightened. This won't get better until he's no longer frightened.